• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you believe our government should be in that assassinating business?

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe our government should be in that assassinating business?

• Yes
    • No
    • It Depends
    • I'm not sure

• Members

Did God sanction assassination against ungodly idolatrous false-god worshipers?

Jdg 3:15 But when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, the LORD raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab.
Jdg 3:16 But Ehud made him a dagger which had two edges, of a cubit length; and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh.
Jdg 3:17 And he brought the present unto Eglon king of Moab: and Eglon was a very fat man.
Jdg 3:18 And when he had made an end to offer the present, he sent away the people that bare the present.
Jdg 3:19 But he himself turned again from the quarries that were by Gilgal, and said, I have a secret errand unto thee, O king: who said, Keep silence. And all that stood by him went out from him.
Jdg 3:20 And Ehud came unto him; and he was sitting in a summer parlour, which he had for himself alone. And Ehud said, I have a message from God unto thee. And he arose out of his seat.
Jdg 3:21 And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly:
Jdg 3:22 And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.
Jdg 3:23 Then Ehud went forth through the porch, and shut the doors of the parlour upon him, and locked them.

• Members

The Bible records many historical events but does not endorse them.

Is the American president a godly man taking his direction from God or is he himself an ungodly man doing what is right in his own eyes?

God has also used ungodly men to bring his will to pass. That is not the point though, the point is that God uses men and war, and sometimes assassinations. I really don't think that is the case here, I must admit, the thread just happened to go that way; however, it may be that God is in it..

• Members

In 1953, the CIA worked with the United Kingdom to overthrow the democratically elected government of Iran, them replace it with a dicator.

If they will do it to those that are not citizens, they would do so to Americas very own citizens. One thing for sure, they should never do so where they have no authority, and their authority ends at our shores. America ought to practice what it preaches, yet our politicians feel they have authority to murder when its in their best interest.

assassination ='s; muder of a public offical by suprise.

They work much like the mobsters of which they prosecute.

Murder is murder, no matter who does it,

Be careful what you call good.

Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Ps 82:2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

How we love to overlook grace that came in by the Lamb of God, they revert to the way God dealt with people in the old Testament.

Our government is under laws, the same laws as its citizens, they have no right to murder no one.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

In 1953, the CIA worked with the United Kingdom to overthrow the democratically elected government of Iran, them replace it with a dicator.

If they will do it to those that are not citizens, they would do so to Americas very own citizens. One thing for sure, they should never do so where they have no authority, and their authority ends at our shores. America ought to practice what it preaches, yet our politicians feel they have authority to murder when its in their best interest.

assassination ='s; muder of a public offical by suprise.

They work much like the mobsters of which they prosecute.

Murder is murder, no matter who does it,

Be careful what you call good.

Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Ps 82:2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

How we love to overlook grace that came in by the Lamb of God, they revert to the way God dealt with people in the old Testament.

Our government is under laws, the same laws as its citizens, they have no right to murder no one.

Yes, the American government is supposed to operate by the Constitution and the Constitution gives no authority to assssinate foreign leaders. Many Christians cry out for a Republican president who will abide by the Constitution yet they support the illegal wars and international actitivities of Repub presidents and often of Dem presidents.

The sad fact is, most professing Christians in America don't want the country governed by the Constitution any more than they truly want their lives and churches governed by the Bible. They have bought into moral relativism and situational ethics. Whether biblical or constitutional most professing Christians will support whatever they think is good in their eyes.

• Members

Yes, the American government is supposed to operate by the Constitution and the Constitution gives no authority to assssinate foreign leaders. Many Christians cry out for a Republican president who will abide by the Constitution yet they support the illegal wars and international actitivities of Repub presidents and often of Dem presidents.

The sad fact is, most professing Christians in America don't want the country governed by the Constitution any more than they truly want their lives and churches governed by the Bible. They have bought into moral relativism and situational ethics. Whether biblical or constitutional most professing Christians will support whatever they think is good in their eyes.

Many Christians seem to be more patriot to this United States than to God. And or quick to take up for the wrong this country does.

Sad to say the school years of many have left them brain washed hearing over and over again and again how great, wonderful, and the amount of good this country has done.

The point about what this country did in Iran years ago is just a small drop in the bucket of the bad things this nation has done, that is not the least bit Christ-like.

I can't remember if it was in this topic, or another topic, someone stated some good about wars, yet what does the Bible say about war?

Jas 4:1 ¶ From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

God's Word is clear, they come from the lust of the flesh. Someone may jump in here and try to explain that away.

Plus with what our government recently did, many Americans sounds more like vigilantes than brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.

Ro 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

• Members

First, let me say that I am not for open murder, but I am for capital punishment. I believe that those things you are saying about the U.S. could apply to Israel too, and yet God used them to fight many battles. No nation is perfect, just like the people of the nation are not, but America is the closest thing out there to it! Yes, I believe that those old school days were right, America was the greatest country in all the world, and still may be. They have stood for right, freedom, and good, and the assassinations were a part of justice. I do not call evil good, never said assassination was good, but I think it is a necessary evil, and that men have to live with that. The old cliche is still good for us today, "If you don't like America, your free to leave"--.see how other countries do things, and most will come running back to the good old U.S.A.

• Members

First, let me say that I am not for open murder, but I am for capital punishment. I believe that those things you are saying about the U.S. could apply to Israel too, and yet God used them to fight many battles. No nation is perfect, just like the people of the nation are not, but America is the closest thing out there to it! Yes, I believe that those old school days were right, America was the greatest country in all the world, and still may be. They have stood for right, freedom, and good, and the assassinations were a part of justice. I do not call evil good, never said assassination was good, but I think it is a necessary evil, and that men have to live with that. The old cliche is still good for us today, "If you don't like America, your free to leave"--.see how other countries do things, and most will come running back to the good old U.S.A.

The Word tells us that all nations are wicked and if our individual "good" is as filthy rags in the sight of God, how much more the "good" of any nation?

If America endorses the idea that it's okay to assasinate government leaders in other nations then they by default give the green light for other nations to do the same, even if some may wish to target American leaders.

Where in the American Constitution is authority given for American leaders to force their will upon those of other nations? When they have done so and when they do so now, they violate the Constitution and their oath of office. Should Christians support that which is illegal?

• Members

The Word tells us that all nations are wicked and if our individual "good" is as filthy rags in the sight of God, how much more the "good" of any nation?

If America endorses the idea that it's okay to assasinate government leaders in other nations then they by default give the green light for other nations to do the same, even if some may wish to target American leaders.

Where in the American Constitution is authority given for American leaders to force their will upon those of other nations? When they have done so and when they do so now, they violate the Constitution and their oath of office. Should Christians support that which is illegal?

Right John, And our Bible tells us this about all men.

Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Ro 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Ro 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Ro 3:13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
Ro 3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
Ro 3:15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:
Ro 3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:
Ro 3:17 And the way of peace have they not known:
Ro 3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

And America is run by this type of men, so there is no way it can be as good, as great, as most people claim. I could point out many other evil deeds this country has been partakers of, of which would fill many sheets of paper and probably take the rest of my life to write it out, yet the majority of American Christians would still claim its a great Christian acting country.

As said before, many equate being a good American is part of being a good Christian.

One thing, we are not responsible for what those behind us have done, whether its good or bad, we are responsible for our self, and will answer for our self, God will hold us accountable for our deeds. I refuse to gloss over that which is ungodly and call it good, no matter who did it, and this country has done many ungodly deeds, carried out by ungodly people.

I can boast about only one thing, my God and His son is great.

• Members

This topic is, "Do you believe our government should be in that assassinating business?" Its not about Osama Bin Laden.

The points I have made is that our government should not be in the assassinating business. If someone had broken laws there is a proper way to take care of it. Our government should never be the judge, jury, and executioner. Our government, like us, have laws governing them, they are not, never be above the law.

When our government has the authority to assassinate anyone at will, no matter how evil they may be, them we its citizens are in grave danger.

• Members

I chose "it depends." If we're involved in a war, I think we need to do whatever it takes to win that war. What's the point of getting into a war anyways if not to win it? That's why I love what Israel does when they find out where terrorist leaders are: they just send a helicopter over and launch a few missiles into his limo, they don't care how the "Muslim world" will respond; they want to win the war, defeat the enemy, and protect themselves.

On the flip side, assassinating heads of state because we don't agree with their policies? No.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

I chose "it depends." If we're involved in a war, I think we need to do whatever it takes to win that war. What's the point of getting into a war anyways if not to win it? That's why I love what Israel does when they find out where terrorist leaders are: they just send a helicopter over and launch a few missiles into his limo, they don't care how the "Muslim world" will respond; they want to win the war, defeat the enemy, and protect themselves.

On the flip side, assassinating heads of state because we don't agree with their policies? No.

I fully agree with your last sentence.

I would probably agree with your first sentence if the war was a constitutionally declared war and a "serious war" (for lack of a better term off hand) where such an action would serve as a positive execution of the war.

• Members

I fully agree with your last sentence.

I would probably agree with your first sentence if the war was a constitutionally declared war and a "serious war" (for lack of a better term off hand) where such an action would serve as a positive execution of the war.

Has war been declared against Afghanistan by our congress?

• Members

Has war been declared against Afghanistan by our congress?

If I recall, World War Two was the last legally declared war America was involved in. For the last 66 years, all wars which America engaged in have been unconstitutional, and therefore illegal.