• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Help with boys

• Members

Ok my 6 yo and 4 yo are incessantly wild! They want to wrestle and run and jump all the time. When does this become a discipline problem? (Its at home). Sometimes I get really upset and seperate them...other times I let them "be boys" but then invariably someone gets their head banged up on something and they start wailing.

Now my parents expected complete silence most of the time, we were never allowed to run, jump, etc in the house. When my brother (only boy) came along he and my dad played football inside and stuff but with just one boy it wasn't nearly the destruction that I have with three!

So I expect my boys to be quiet and play nice in the house but more and more it seems like a losing battle. Should I be stepping up the discipline, or lowering my expectations?

And I'm having another one? :loco LOL (Yeah that's what people say to me...nice huh)

(Thought I would add that I can have my 4 yo alone in a room and he will play legos for hours...its when the boys get together the chemistry starts to explode.)

• Members

Giving them chores is a good idea. One of the "problems" is that they need to burn off energy and be active. Chores helps in this.

Also, it's hard to really know what to say without seeing for oneself the exact nature of their wildness, but to an extent some of that is to be expected. One thing they do need to learn is that while there is a time for some rough-housing, when they are told to stop, it means to stop and stop now.

It can be a fine balance, I've dealt with this with our two sons. Sometimes it's easier to see when they are just having fun and get a bit carried away, and when it's more.

Whatever you decide, it's important that they recognize your authority and abide by it whether you allow them to be a bit wild for awhile or you want them to sit still.

• Members

Personally, I don't like the chores idea because I think they would begin to associate whenever they are having fun with getting chores. Then not only would chores become associated with anti-fun but they would be having to do a lot of them. lol But what do I know, I'm not even married. :peek:

• Members

Personally, I don't like the chores idea because I think they would begin to associate whenever they are having fun with getting chores. Then not only would chores become associated with anti-fun but they would be having to do a lot of them. lol But what do I know, I'm not even married. :peek:

I agree with you Kevin, giving them chores in place of play time so they can burn off excess energy isn't a good idea IMHO. I have no problem with chores but I think kids need balance. In this day and age kids have to grow up too fast anyway, they need time to just be kids.

I also agree boys will be boys. They just need to learn there is a time and place for the rough and tumble stuff and there is also a time to be a little more reserved

• Members

Maybe some of it is the weather... right now its been rainy and cold and muddy and so really they haven't burned off much steam so once they all get in the house (when my oldest is home from Christian school) they just go nuts, being silly and tumbling and screeching and they escalate until you stop it. Can't wait till I can say GO OUTSIDE! Its nice that my oldest two are old enough to play outside pretty much unsupervised but the bad part is my 2 yo is not old enough for that...but old enough to be jealous of his brothers! haha.

And WHAT is it about boys and beds? Do all boys like jumping on beds, tumbling on beds, rolling in blankets, and attacking each other in blankets?

I love boys but evidently I've never spent enough time around a handful of young ones to know what is normal. haha.

And chores? Nah... not yet. If I want them quiet its because I need to get something done...at their age, I'd have to supervise the chore and then I'm punishing my own self. haha.

• Members

Maybe some of it is the weather... right now its been rainy and cold and muddy and so really they haven't burned off much steam so once they all get in the house (when my oldest is home from Christian school) they just go nuts, being silly and tumbling and screeching and they escalate until you stop it. Can't wait till I can say GO OUTSIDE! Its nice that my oldest two are old enough to play outside pretty much unsupervised but the bad part is my 2 yo is not old enough for that...but old enough to be jealous of his brothers! haha.

And WHAT is it about boys and beds? Do all boys like jumping on beds, tumbling on beds, rolling in blankets, and attacking each other in blankets?

I love boys but evidently I've never spent enough time around a handful of young ones to know what is normal. haha.

And chores? Nah... not yet. If I want them quiet its because I need to get something done...at their age, I'd have to supervise the chore and then I'm punishing my own self. haha.

completely normal, yes, anything can be converted to weapon grade very easily also.

• Members

completely normal, yes, anything can be converted to weapon grade very easily also.

ROFL! Yes! Someone understands!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad had us (two girls and one boy) and my stepmom (whom he married after my mom died) raised two girls. So sometimes they get a little overwhelmed during their rare cross-country visits... but... its nice to talk to some one who actually has a mess of boys at their house!

• Members

Playing rough is a normal thing for children. They have so much stored up energy. I think playing rough in the house is more dangerous than wrestling or playing rough outside. You might try initiating activities that will divert thier attention from the rough play. ie:tag, dodge ball, duck,duck goose just to name a few. Childern thrive in structured enviorments.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I have always said I would prefer to have all boys than to have all girls (sorry Bro Matt!) but some days I find their energy quite overwhelming! haha....

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I have always said I would prefer to have all boys than to have all girls (sorry Bro Matt!) but some days I find their energy quite overwhelming! haha....

Oh well, we all know we can't choose what children the Lord gives us, but I truly believe He gives us the desire of our hearts. You got yours, but sometimes I wonder if we got ours.... you are describing my GIRLS!!!!! :lol: