• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preacher And Teacher MacArthur… 📚

• Members

Do Independent Baptist leaders follow and support MacArthur teachings. I personally don't follow him. I believe he is ok, he sounds like a good talker and storyteller. You feel like you're in school and not a church when he preaches for me. I'll have to visit his sermon page, he sounds very smart and easy to understand.  Any input to share about him. Do you listen to him and follow?

• Members

Johnny Mac is REFORMED in theology. He seems to be more of an "itchy ear" type of preacher. He's right on a lot of things, wrong on others, and is a preacher that I seldom listen to any longer. He did finally take a stand on women as pastors or in places of authority over men when he basically told Beth Moore to sit down and be quiet. Moore left the Southern Baptists and went to the Anglican church. Would I recommend Macarthur? Not unless one is looking for REFORMED or CALVINIST doctrine.

• Members

The Bible says that God is love. Calvinism makes God out to be a narcissist. The Bible says that Jesus went to the cross "for the joy set before Him". Calvinism says that God's  main goal is "glory" at the expense of predetermining people to Hell before they were ever born. with no hope or recourse, . Why give ear to somebody who pushes Calvinism? Find somebody who preaches sound doctrine. If you're saved you can tell the difference.

• Members
15 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

The Bible says that God is love. Calvinism makes God out to be a narcissist. The Bible says that Jesus went to the cross "for the joy set before Him". Calvinism says that God's  main goal is "glory" at the expense of predetermining people to Hell before they were ever born. with no hope or recourse, . Why give ear to somebody who pushes Calvinism? Find somebody who preaches sound doctrine. If you're saved you can tell the difference.

Absolutely, I thought there was something a little fishy going on. Thanks, the SBC friends seen to like him a lot. I'll stay away. 👍

• Members
1 minute ago, TheGloryLand said:

Thanks, the SBC friends seen to like him a lot. I'll stay away. 👍

One reason for this is that the SBC seminaries have been infiltrated by those pushing the Calvinist tripe.  Those who were Arminian leaning and who supported the pre-trib rapture, the 1000 year reign of Christ, etc., were systematically removed from leadership and teaching positions. Now they're teaching and preaching that we're already living in the millenial reign. These positions have even started to filter into the IFB circles. I pray none here have fallen into these positions in their doctrine. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

PFrom my experience MacArthur is viewed similar to Spurgeon. A lot of Fundamentalists agree with many of his teachings but stay away from anything that is blatant Calvinistic.

While I don't agree with all his teachings I certainly respect his unwillingness to avoid topics because they are seen as "controversial" now in many Christian circles. Unlike Steven Anderson he isn't afraid to speak up about sin while NOT offending everyone that disagrees in a hate filled.way.

For e MacArthurs teachings seem far more sound than say R.C. Sproul since John doesn't hold a reformed view of baptism.

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members
On 8/1/2024 at 5:01 PM, BrotherTony said:

One reason for this is that the SBC seminaries have been infiltrated by those pushing the Calvinist tripe.  Those who were Arminian leaning and who supported the pre-trib rapture, the 1000 year reign of Christ, etc., were systematically removed from leadership and teaching positions. Now they're teaching and preaching that we're already living in the millenial reign. These positions have even started to filter into the IFB circles. I pray none here have fallen into these positions in their doctrine. 

Yes. The young man that was the Pastor when I joined was far more Calvinistic than the majority of the congregation but he did a good job of keeping either theological extremes out of the sermons. Often you couldnt tell unless you spoke to him in private.

When I was talking with one of the deacons (a former Free Will Baptist pastor) about it one day he told me that during the time that the Pastor attended Bob Jones University there were several teachers there who leaned more Calvinistic than Armininian.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Yes. The young man that was the Pastor when I joined was far more Calvinistic than the majority of the congregation but he did a good job of keeping either theological extremes out of the sermons. Often you couldnt tell unless you spoke to him in private.

When I was talking with one of the deacons (a former Free Will Baptist pastor) about it one day he told me that during the time that the Pastor attended Bob Jones University there were several teachers there who leaned more Calvinistic than Armininian.

Interesting, since Bob Jones Sr was a Methodist.

• Members
2 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Interesting, since Bob Jones Sr was a Methodist.

Yeah I was surprised to learn that too. I had never even heard of Bob Jones University until I started going to a IFB church. During that time most of the church and school staff had attended there and many of the the children attended after high school. Today the head pastor is graduate of Pensacola Christian and the Assistant Pastor from Maranatha. 

Im not sure the Methodist Universities of today would be met with approval by Jones Sr. if he were alive today.