• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Music Training

Believer74

• Members

Hello,

I'm interested in advancing my music theory knowledge in the domain of Christian music. Specifically, high level chords and techniques. In searching for resources that might help me in this endeavor, I've mostly found materials that teach sacred music techniques and theory but with subtle influences from jazz, r&b, and other secular genres. If I wanted to move forward in learning Christian music theory and techniques without encountering secular genres or Christian Contemporary but via traditional gospel/Christian resources, would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Edited by Believer74

• Moderators

I mean, music theory is music theory. Time signatures, keys, chords, rests and arpeggios are pretty standard no matter what genre you're playing. What do you mean by techniques? Like for improvisation?

Not sure if this is where you're going, but when I did classical music harmony with the Royal Conservatory, I found the chord progressions (based on Classical/Baroque era music) to be amusingly similar to hymn structure. That Harmony course did more to help this chronic sight reader develop improvisational skills than anything else ever has.

• Members

By techniques, I'm referring to chord progressions that are taught in the gospel tradition like 2-5-1 and other concepts like secondary dominants, extended chords and chromatic harmony. From what I've found, it seems like music theory is standard across the board until you move beyond 7th chords and into specific voicings for extended chords, chromatic harmony, and the chords that appear in the 2-5-1 chord progression. I'd like to learn about those concepts, but I'm concerned that the specific voicings might've been born out of the jazz tradition. 

Edited by Believer74

• Moderators

To be honest, I think the safest sacred music is hymns. Which don’t require additional chord progressions, because one just plays with or expands on written chords (and that’s come out of the classical tradition). My experience with the addition of chords that are not written is that they quite often conflict with the actual harmonies of the hymn, and make it difficult for people to sing in harmony. Most guitar chord progressions are written over-simplistically, and don’t coincide with the complicated chording already present in the body of the hymn.
I’m probably not the best conversation on this subject, because I really am such a sight reader. As I recall, the 2–5–1 is a pretty basic chord progression that you will see in the construction of the end of most hymns.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If you are playing guitar,  I would just say that our pastor wont allow a guitar in the church even in the Sunday school. He considers they are too connected with rock music. I pointed out that pianos have also been connected to Rock music and boogie, but it didn't make any difference, he won't change his mind.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
3 minutes ago, Invicta said:

If you are playing guitar,  I would just say that our pastor wont allow a guitar in the church even in the Sunday school. He considers they are too connected with rock music. I pointed out that pianos have also been connected to Rock music and boogie, but it didn't make any difference, he won't change his mind.

Sorry, but he sounds a bit fickle and particular to me. The Bible says in the Psalms to praise God with the stringed instruments and those of percussion. Sounds to me like he's got a controlling personality. Unless he could back up his position with Bible I would have to strongly disagree with him. But, that being said, it's not a hill I would be willing to die on. It's not something doctrinal and doesn't affect my salvation.

• 4 months later...