• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ah...the joys of owning a home...

• Members
6 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Nice looking digs.

Thank you. It's not much, but the Lord has been good to us.

You know...I'm actually glad the installation got put off until Monday. When I found out that they had it scheduled for a Friday, my first thoughts were, "Oh great, the last day of the week when the workers will be tired and only care about getting it over with so they can have the weekend off. I would much rather it be at the beginning of the week so they'll be fresh." I almost called my contact guy to ask him to reschedule it, but the Lord worked it out anyway. :)

Now I just hope they aren't mad about having to go back to work after having the weekend off! LOLOLOLOL!!!

• Members

An old timer once told me; never have any work done on a Friday. I've found that to be true more than once.

Just a few weeks ago, I hired some guys to sandblast some signs for me. When I brought the prepared blanks in ,early Friday morning, the first thing out of the employee's mouth was "It's Friday, and I don't even want to be here", or something to that effect. That was the first red flag. The guy goofed up part of one of the signs, because he wasn't listening to my instructions. Fortunately, I was able to repair it and, in the end, the customer was very happy with their signs. But this reinforced my resolve to heed the warning about Fridays from now on.

• Moderators

That was one thing that made my crew noticeably different (Musician4God1611 was part of my crew), we got MORE done on Fridays to try to get finished.

I've also come to the conclusion based on morning and evening traffic volume ---- EVERBODY works on Wednesday!!

• Members

I need some tiling done in my new kitchen,  I had an estimate and ordered the tiles to arrive next wek and have just got an email from the tiler I had chosen and he has now sent an email that he cannot fit us in till the ned of Sept.  Not too good as we erer hoping to put our hous on the market next week.  Just had the kitchen instlled, less the tiles, and my daughter has found a housed with an annex which we can have as she is worried that we can't cope too well in our current house.   

• Members
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

I need some tiling done in my new kitchen,  I had an estimate and ordered the tiles to arrive next wek and have just got an email from the tiler I had chosen and he has now sent an email that he cannot fit us in till the ned of Sept.  Not too good as we erer hoping to put our hous on the market next week.  Just had the kitchen instlled, less the tiles, and my daughter has found a housed with an annex which we can have as she is worried that we can't cope too well in our current house.   

Yikes! I hate to hear that! Is there any way to find another tiler, or are you under some type of contract with the one you chose?

I have a TON of odds-and-ends that I need to fix (which I'll be doing myself) before we can put our house on the market...things like...

1. I had to cut out around the sheet rock of both shower heads (upstairs and downstairs) to fix leaks. I have to patch that.
  2. When I removed the carpet and put hardwood throughout the whole house, several baseboards needed to be replaced (because of the cheap material used in the original build)...with my work schedule, I've never have gotten around to doing that.
  3. I'm currently fixing TONS of bubbles (?) in the sheet rock of our stairwell. Even though the house was built in 1998, whoever the sheet rock contractor was, they used nails instead of screws to affix the sheet rock to the studs :4_2_204v: ...I bet there are around 75 (or more) places where the nails have come loose and pushed out causing those "bubbles" to protrude from the wall. (Sorry, I don't know the proper name for the bubbles :laugh: ).
  4. I won't go into the railing for the bottom part of our stairwell. Let's just say that it needs to be replaced...especially since I ripped the old railing out, because it was so loose. :15_1_63:  ...more evidence of shortcuts and cheap building practices.
  5. Then there's the painting, replacing a few outdated lighting fixtures, outdated cabinet handles, and some trim work under our kitchen cabinets that I had to remove (due to water damage) after our refrigerator's water line decided it wanted to leak...I don't care how convenient having a water dispenser and an ice-maker in your refrigerator is...you go through what we have, and you'll never want it again...they're works of the devil, I tell you...just use the stinkin' kitchen faucet and ice trays!
  6. Then there's some other trim work that I need to do.

That's not including ALL of the poor workmanship and problems that I've already fixed before now. Everything that I've fixed (and needs fixing) is due to poor workmanship and/or poor products...actually...it's due to both.

I know who had the house built, but I don't know who he used to build it. There are three major things that I've learned from all of this...

1. Owning your own home isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  2. The old saying is apparently true...if you want something done right, do it yourself.
  3. It doesn't matter how nicely and respectfully you treated your neighbor through the years, it doesn't matter how often they came to you for help or how much you helped them and their children, it doesn't matter how much they came to you and depended on you for certain "things", and it doesn't matter how much they took advantage of your neighborliness...they will forget all of that if you ask them (as politely as possible) to do something about their pets and the problems those animals are causing you. After this, I'd be willing to live on a deserted island if I could. :laugh:

Still, even with all of those problems, and with the way that I grew up, I would never have imagined living in a house like this. One thing is for sure, whoever buys this house will get a keeper...unless...no one buys it. If that happens, one other thing will be for sure...we'll have a much better house than what we originally bought...and we'll still have one crummy neighbor.  :laugh:

I hope things work out for you Invicta.

Edited by No Nicolaitans
spelling

• Members
1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Yikes! I hate to hear that! Is there any way to find another tiler, or are you under some type of contract with the one you chose?

I have a TON of odds-and-ends that I need to fix (which I'll be doing myself) before we can put our house on the market...things like...

No but he was recommended to me by somebody I know, and the tile centre said they recommended him and only do so for tilers they trust.  They also gave me a big discount on the tiles becuse he recommended them  I will have to ask if they have someone who is less busy.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
19 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

1. I had to cut out around the sheet rock of both shower heads (upstairs and downstairs) to fix leaks. I have to patch that.
  2. When I removed the carpet and put hardwood throughout the whole house, several baseboards needed to be replaced (because of the cheap material used in the original build)...with my work schedule, I've never have gotten around to doing that.
  3. I'm currently fixing TONS of bubbles (?) in the sheet rock of our stairwell. Even though the house was built in 1998, whoever the sheet rock contractor was, they used nails instead of screws to affix the sheet rock to the studs :4_2_204v:...I bet there are around 75 (or more) places where the nails have come loose and pushed out causing those "bubbles" to protrude from the wall. (Sorry, I don't know the proper name for the bubbles :laugh: ).
  4. I won't go into the railing for the bottom part of our stairwell. Let's just say that it needs to be replaced...especially since I ripped the old railing out, because it was so loose. :15_1_63:  ...more evidence of shortcuts and cheap building practices.
  5. Then there's the painting, replacing a few outdated lighting fixtures, outdated cabinet handles, and some trim work under our kitchen cabinets that I had to remove (due to water damage) after our refrigerator's water line decided it wanted to leak...I don't care how convenient having a water dispenser and an ice-maker in your refrigerator is...you go through what we have, and you'll never want it again...they're works of the devil, I tell you...just use the stinkin' kitchen faucet and ice trays!
  6. Then there's some other trim work that I need to do.

That's not including ALL of the poor workmanship and problems that I've already fixed before now. Everything that I've fixed (and needs fixing) is due to poor workmanship and/or poor products...actually...it's due to both.

I know who had the house built, but I don't know who he used to build it. There are three major things that I've learned from all of this...

1. Owning your own home isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  2. The old saying is apparently true...if you want something done right, do it yourself.
  3. It doesn't matter how nicely and respectfully you treated your neighbor through the years, it doesn't matter how often they came to you for help or how much you helped them and their children, it doesn't matter how much they came to you and depended on you for certain "things", and it doesn't matter how much they took advantage of your neighborliness...they will forget all of that if you ask them (as politely as possible) to do something about their pets and the problems those animals are causing you. After this, I'd be willing to live on a deserted island if I could. :laugh:

Still, even with all of those problems, and with the way that I grew up, I would never have imagined living in a house like this. One thing is for sure, whoever buys this house will get a keeper...unless...no one buys it. If that happens, one other thing will be for sure...we'll have a much better house than what we originally bought...and we'll still have one crummy neighbor.  :laugh:

I hope things work out for you Invicta.

I used screws in my house and shop with no problems. What's happening is, since your stair structure is being subjected to a "live load",. Likely, it flexes every time someone walks on it. This is causing the nails to work themselves outward and pop out the plaster (drywall mud) which was put over the nail heads. Put drywall screws straight down each stud, about 6'' to 8'' apart. Make sure each screw 'countersinks' into the drywall a little without breaking the paper. Then cover the heads with a little mud, with a 4'' knife, feather out the mud, sand lightly, and repaint.

Edited by heartstrings