• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Pastor Get Remarried If His Wife....

The Glory Land

• Members

How do you think it could be reconciled with Luke 16:18? I do not believe that it can.

A point to consider: If divorced, he forfeits his moral authority to preach on the subject of marriage as well as to give premarital counseling.

One could say he would be more qualified; since he would have first hand experience on the subject.

Should we be more concerned about "God's authority" than "moral authority"?

Luke 16:18 has nothing to do with what the OP has stated. 1.This verse deals with the man putting his wife away; not the wife putting her husband away. 2. Don't read in the OP where the man is going to marry a divorced woman.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Titus 1:6-9

6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

8But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;

9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Can anyone really be expected to fully meet and keep these qualification. If he falls short on one item; is he therefore unqualified? At what point does one become blameless?

And the beat goes on and on and on.........!

• Members

One could say he would be more qualified; since he would have first hand experience on the subject.
Should we be more concerned about "God's authority" than "moral authority"?

Experience is not a qualifier. I would count his credibility as lost. I believe Luke 16:18 speaks to the morality of remarriage after divorce.

Luke 16:18 has nothing to do with what the OP has stated. 1.This verse deals with the man putting his wife away; not the wife putting her husband away. 2. Don't read in the OP where the man is going to marry a divorced woman.

Following the letter as opposed to following the spirit?

• Members

Experience is not a qualifier. I would count his credibility as lost. I believe Luke 16:18 speaks to the morality of remarriage after divorce.

Following the letter as opposed to following the spirit?

No. Following the letter in the Spirit.

• Members

I disagree on him finding another wife.

If we insist on the logic of a pastor being married then there is contradiction in Scripture. The qualifications are subjective to say the least. So subjective that they appear a "ideal guidelines". Being the husband of one wife applies IF the pastor is married. Having kids in subjection applies only IF he has kids.

If not I Cor 7 is a major contradiction.

God clearly states in that chapter that is a man or woman wants to serve the Lord in any capacity, they will be more willing and able WITHOUT a wife or husband.

And I know there is no contradiction in God's Word. The contradiction is only in His people's minds. We have been wrong a long time on this whole Pastor/wife issue,

• Members

If we insist on the logic of a pastor being married then there is contradiction in Scripture. The qualifications are subjective to say the least. So subjective that they appear a "ideal guidelines". Being the husband of one wife applies IF the pastor is married. Having kids in subjection applies only IF he has kids.

God clearly states in that chapter that is a man or woman wants to serve the Lord in any capacity, they will be more willing and able WITHOUT a wife or husband.

And I know there is no contradiction in God's Word. The contradiction is only in His people's minds. We have been wrong a long time on this whole Pastor/wife issue,

Where is there a major contradiction in I Cor 7? Paul is talking about marriage as a whole; not in relations to a Pastor. BTW: Paul was not a Pastor.

There is a difference between "they will be" and "they must be".

We are not talking about "any capacity"; we are talking about the position of Pastor.

• Members

Qualifications for Overseers

1 Timothy 3

1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

• Members

Disagree here also, the whole pastoral quals/deacon quals has been so subjective that the only qual anyone can pin down in reference to a qual is the mistaken interpretation of only one wife in a pastor/deacons lifetime.

Pastor is included in my any capacity term. God wasn't speaking only of Paul in I Cor 7, He is speaking to all believers.

Besides in God's eyes, every woman a man has slept with is his wife so try fitting that into men's interpretation of husband of one wife. Men try to box the marriage/divorce prior to salvation but won't touch the sex prior to salvation. It is ridiculous and all made up to serve men's purposes.

• Members

1 Timothy 3

1This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

A "pastor" is not just someone who TELLS people how to live; he must be someone who SHOWS them how. Your most powerful sermon is the one that people see you live. If you have been unable, in a Godly way, to keep your wife and children in subjection, then how can you preach and teach it to others? If my Wife were to leave me for another man, that would indeed be her choice. But what could I have done to be a better husband to her? None of us are perfect and we are responsible. I don't believe that disqualifies such men to preach, pray, minister, serve and love God. , but it does disqualify a man to be the leading example of a church.

• Members

If we insist on the logic of a pastor being married then there is contradiction in Scripture. The qualifications are subjective to say the least. So subjective that they appear a "ideal guidelines". Being the husband of one wife applies IF the pastor is married. Having kids in subjection applies only IF he has kids.

I do understand what you're saying. But for me, she is dead already. Why must he suffer and have not. Will he be pleasing God or man remaining a single man?

• Members

Absolutely pleasing God if he remains single according to I Cor chap 7. Not because of a misinterpreted pastoral qual but as a servant in general. God says not to be burdened once again with the worldly needs of a wife (or husband if the roles were reversed in this scenario). If loosed from a wife, DO NOT SEEK A WIFE.

Archived