• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Okay, so tell me a little bit about yourselves?

Gabrielle A

• Moderators

That's a very broad range! We've got all sorts of IFB on this board, and even a couple regulars that aren't IFB at all. ^_^ I learned the following acronym at Bible Institute that is a good general description of my beliefs:

BAPTISTS

Bible as sole authority (OB members are usually KJV/Textus Receptus only for many good reasons, but not everyone here is)
Autonomy of the local church (no denominational structure - thus the Independent)
Priesthood of every believer (we can come directly to God through Christ Jesus without needing any other human to intercede for us)
Two church offices (pastor & deacon)
Individual soul liberty (our BI teacher emphasized this one over & over again!)
Saved, baptized church membership
Two church ordinances (not sacraments) (the Lord's Supper & believer's baptism by immersion - thus the Baptist ;) )
Separation (personal, ecclesiastical [as in not ecumenical], and church/state)

The last one - separation - is where you'll find us to be different from most evangelical churches nowadays. A generation ago, some of the evangelical churches got tired of fighting the battle for pure doctrine & separation from the world, and decided to give up the battle and be more 'positive' in their approach to defending the faith. This was called New Evangelicalism; it has become the defining feature of most evangelical churches of today. Problem was, by ceasing to earnestly contend for the faith by clearly defining holiness & standing against false doctrine in other churches and encroaching worldliness in their own, they started down a road that has resulted in their children & grandchildren not even having a clue what it means to be separate from the world. False doctrine in pedo-baptist or Catholic churches is never even mentioned, and most young people in those churches have very little discernment in doctrinal matters. :( (I can say that because that's where I grew up until 6 years ago.)

Edited by salyan

• Members

Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

This sums it up for me.