• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Holy Land

John81

• Members

This time of year especially there are many ads for trips to Israel, the Holy Land. In most all of these ads there is talk about how special it is to be baptized in the Jordan river. It's said that one can feel closer to Jesus by walking where he walked. There is mention of extra blessings coming from sermons heard while in Israel. Some even claim one is closer to God when in Israel. Other claims are made too, most of us have heard them.

The thing is, these claims aren't just coming from some Charismatics or from those in the "experience is everything" crowd. Unless the claims above is true, how can so many say these things and how can so many conservative Christians buy these claims?

Has anyone here ever been to Israel? Ever had any of these experiences?

I've only heard from a few who have actually been and they seem to have been so sold on the hype, in similar way they get when going on other trips, that they were preset to "experience" what they were told.

To me, the ads like this seem akin to charlatan ads by some shady used car salesman.

What about the effect such ads have on lost folks who hear them?

Why not just offer the vacations in a more honest manner?

• Members

Well, as for me, I think its very special to be baptized, after one has been saved, even if its down on the creek, out in the country side of Arkansas, & being baptized in what is refereed to as the Holy Land, after having been baptizing down on the creek, by a church that has authority to baptized, it would be mockery.

If one can't get extremely close to God where ever they may live, they will not get close to Him by going to the Holy Land & getting baptized, & walking in places Jesus has walked.

• Members

I agree. It's sad to see every year all these appeals for folks to travel to Israel to be re-baptized in the Jordan with the implication there is something special about that.

A lot of people get caught up in this and spend a goodly amount of money to make that trip, and mostly based on false advertising and expectations.

If we will draw close to God, He willd draw close to us wherever we are and it doesn't matter whether Jesus actually walked there or not.

• Members

I have a prepaid flight to Israel with a large group on white horses some day.

I live with the Spirit of Jesus in the temple. You are the Holy Land and the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Jerusalem is Important to God so it is important to me.

Pray for peace in Jerusalem, it is the will of God.

• Members

Indeed Israel and Jersusalem have their place in God's plan. I always appreciate reminders to pray for the peace of Jerusalem!

I heard another ad this morning saying that reading the Word in Israel makes it more significant! :eye:

Since this is a similar topic, and of some importance, I'll ask the question here.

What does it mean to pray for the peace of Jerusalem?

• Administrators

John, I've never been there personally, but three groups from our church have gone. They don't claim to feel closer for having walked where Jesus walked, but they all came back excited about the trip. Several of the men chose a particular town they visited and made a presentation to the church, showing scripture about the town, etc. The lady I work with in Sunday School also went. To a person, they say that now when they read the OT, they can picture it, and the towns have come alive for them. I know the lady I work with gets excited when she can bring into the lesson things she learned while over there - pictures,etc.

I don't particularly think going will draw someone closer to Christ. Scripture studying, prayer, and obedience do that. However, there is a residual excitement that makes things a bit more real.

• Members

Seems to me the more Christians hear about the trips Muslims make to Mecca, the more Christians talks about Israel, & want's to visit the place.

To me it makes them sound like doubting Thomas. Oh, no, I don't think all of them are like doubting Thomas, but for many the cost of going to Israel could be spent towards actually supporting God's work, spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, & be a very good investment for investing real 'treasures in Heaven.'

And some Christians, perhaps many of them are not even Christian, plays off of the emtions of visiting Israel, what a great personal spiritual experiences it will be, in order to put together a bunch of Christians for a tour of Israel in order to fleece those Christians of their money.

• Members

John, I've never been there personally, but three groups from our church have gone. They don't claim to feel closer for having walked where Jesus walked, but they all came back excited about the trip. Several of the men chose a particular town they visited and made a presentation to the church, showing scripture about the town, etc. The lady I work with in Sunday School also went. To a person, they say that now when they read the OT, they can picture it, and the towns have come alive for them. I know the lady I work with gets excited when she can bring into the lesson things she learned while over there - pictures,etc.

I don't particularly think going will draw someone closer to Christ. Scripture studying, prayer, and obedience do that. However, there is a residual excitement that makes things a bit more real.

That I can understand because it makes sense. If those promoting the trips to Israel would use such thoughts I would find that appropriate. The constant outright statements and insinuations that being baptized in the Jordan is more special or holier than being baptized anywhere else, and is something even those who have already been baptized should do, just isn't right.

Going to visit because one wants to see and learn some of the history is fine, nothing wrong with that. Being able to relate some of what one sees and learns to some of what is in Scripture is great. If they would stick to this sort of factual stuff rather than the crooked used car salesman pitches, these trips would sound much better.

• Members

Seems to me the more Christians hear about the trips Muslims make to Mecca, the more Christians talks about Israel, & want's to visit the place.

To me it makes them sound like doubting Thomas. Oh, no, I don't think all of them are like doubting Thomas, but for many the cost of going to Israel could be spent towards actually supporting God's work, spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, & be a very good investment for investing real 'treasures in Heaven.'

And some Christians, perhaps many of them are not even Christian, plays off of the emtions of visiting Israel, what a great personal spiritual experiences it will be, in order to put together a bunch of Christians for a tour of Israel in order to fleece those Christians of their money.

I'm glad you brought that up because it's something I've heard in some of these ads and something I've heard several preachers say; that EVERYONE should try to visit Israel at least once in their lifetime. That, plus some of what they often say with it, does indeed remind me of the call for all Muslims to go to Mecca at least once.

I imagine there is big money in selling trips to Israel.

• Members

I'm glad you brought that up because it's something I've heard in some of these ads and something I've heard several preachers say; that EVERYONE should try to visit Israel at least once in their lifetime. That, plus some of what they often say with it, does indeed remind me of the call for all Muslims to go to Mecca at least once.

I imagine there is big money in selling trips to Israel.

And for many, all they are after, is money, anyway they can get it.

And of course many use God to pad their pocketbook, never really making a single true sacrifice.

• Members

My inlaws went and maintain that the experience was an eye opener. The main fact being that it made the bible "more real". Not that they didn't believe that before but being where Jesus was, seeing the history for yourself just adds to ones faith in their estimation. Gives a deeper perspective. They plan to go again next year.

• Administrators

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to go to Israel - even if it's because of the desire to walk where Jesus walked. To me, it's kinda like going to historical sites here in America. I don't liken it at all to Mecca (and this is the first time I've heard the two linked), personally. If people go thinking they'll become more spiritual, or that God will give them some extra blessing, that's a shame. But I'd love to go some day. :icon_smile: I doubt I'll ever get there,though, and I'm fine with that.

• Members

I personally think it would be amazing to go t Israel and other areas of the world that are Biblically historical! I don't see it ever happening and even if it did I would have to get over the fear factor. lol But I do think it would be amazing. My Grandma is a converted Jew and has been to Israel twice and to see the pictures and here the stories are amazing!