• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Burial Method: ‘Liquefaction’

John81

• Members

God knows about various accidents and disasters and doesn't hold one accountable for what they can't avoid. However, we are held accountable for what we do have a measure of control over.

The examples of the proper dealing with the bodies of the dead in Scripture are burial. Burning of bodies has been a pagan ritual, often tied with pagan concepts of that being the means with which the dead "travel to the afterlife".

Some of the most wicked pagans ever known were buried and entombed. The Moche people, the Aztecs, the Scythians, the ancient Egyptians also come to mind. John, if you're born again, washed in the Blood of the Lamb, and you decide you want to be cremated or liquified when you die.......if your last wishes were that there be hymns and Gospel preaching at your funeral, instead of a pagan ritual, I shouldn't have to wonder too much where you went.

• Members
People die in earthquakes, autmobile accidents, explosions and other horrible ways in which bodies become mutilated.

Those instances are beyond their control. I doubt that one who has witnessed a cremation or a Hindu burial would think that was ok with God.

I exhort you to read David Cloud's article paying close attention to the scripture references for burial and against cremation.

• Members

Hindu? What's that all about?
Simply burning up something, even a dead body, is not a ritual.Keep ritual and ceremony out of it and it's not evil. It's just a physical process. The body is simply matter and the fire is energy. Do you realize that the water you drink today was probagly someone's body fluids in the past? That salad you eat was probably cow manure a few weeks ago. Honestly, it's all just matter and energy. We buried my Dad 13 years ago. What's left of his matter is still in the grave, but HE ain't there no more. Would I be cremated? Probably not, nor would I do it to any of my loved ones, unless that was their wishes. I just am not going to judge anyone else for doing it becasue if you don't do it with pagan, ritualistic, evil intentions, it just ain't evil.
Burning the bones of the king of Edom was done in hatred...and that IS evil.
Show me a link to David Cloud's article, if you don't mind, and I will check it out.

• Members

Some of the most wicked pagans ever known were buried and entombed. The Moche people, the Aztecs, the Scythians, the ancient Egyptians also come to mind. John, if you're born again, washed in the Blood of the Lamb, and you decide you want to be cremated or liquified when you die.......if your last wishes were that there be hymns and Gospel preaching at your funeral, instead of a pagan ritual, I shouldn't have to wonder too much where you went.

Yes, and many pagans and other lost folks belive in "god" and even "pray" but that doesn't change the examples given to us in Scripture which call for the decent burial of the dead.

• Members

Actually, the human body is a precious creation of God and something we are told to care for. Examples from Scripture makes it clear that upon death the body is to be respectfully treated and then buried.

Still doesn't deny the fact that the body is either buried or burned when it dies.

Phil.3:21-

"Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body...."

• Members

Did anyone even read post #9?

Yes, and there is much stretching of the OT scriptures to make a point. I can find many OT verses about a purifying fire. The bottomline is the NT doesn't give any set commands what to do with the body. I just don't understand why IFBers make so much of a big deal out of this. Paul clearly says that our bodies our "vile" in the site of God. You should honor the person with a burial at death and you should honor them with cremation if that's what they want. Me, personally, I really don't care because I won't be here and my body has given me nothing but grief my whole life anyways.

I guess if a Christian gets burned up in a fire or blown to smithereens by whatever then they must have been pagan?

• Members

I think they probably did, yet its obvious they must disagree with it 100%, & I did not no Scriptural reason for being opposed.

I'm not saying its the case here, yet its true in many circumstances that Christians believes many things are A-OK because they see many others do it & or people in other churches. Kind of like measuring our self against people, instead of Christ.

2Co 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Yet it does seem the more cremations that take place the more cremation is accepted by the Christian community.

• Members

Simply burning up something... it's not evil. It's just a physical process. The body is simply matter and the fire is energy.

Show me a link to David Cloud's article, if you don't mind, and I will check it out.

That reads like the secular-humanist view. Post #9 does have a link but here it is again, go to page 3:

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/challenge/97jultbc.pdf

• Members

That reads like the secular-humanist view. Post #9 does have a link but here it is again, go to page 3:

http://www.baptistch...ge/97jultbc.pdf

Maybe this would read like secular humanist view to you then........

1 Corinthians 8

1Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
3But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
4As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
7Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
8But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

The principle? Eating something that was offered to an idol was NOT evil in and of itself, because meat is "just a thing" and an idol is " just a thing" and eating the meat wasn't sinful at all. UNLESS the eater was actually participating IN the idol worship
Like I already said, our family buries our dead. I just don't see it as a SIN to burn a dead body if that is what the dead person wished. Sure abraham and Isaac and all those people buried their dead; they sacrificed sheep, rode camels and slept in tents.too. But suppose I did decide I wanted my corpse burned when I died and the knwledge of that upset my Wife or Children, cousin etc? Then I'd just have to go with verse 13

• Members

Maybe this would read like secular humanist view to you then........

1 Corinthians 8

1Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
3But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
4As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
7Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
8But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

The principle? Eating something that was offered to an idol was NOT evil in and of itself, because meat is "just a thing" and an idol is " just a thing" and eating the meat wasn't sinful at all. UNLESS the eater was actually participating IN the idol worship
Like I already said, our family buries our dead. I just don't see it as a SIN to burn a dead body if that is what the dead person wished. Sure abraham and Isaac and all those people buried their dead; they sacrificed sheep, rode camels and slept in tents.too. But suppose I did decide I wanted my corpse burned when I died and the knwledge of that upset my Wife or Children, cousin etc? Then I'd just have to go with verse 13

As post #9 shows, just as a study of Scripture shows, a clear case for burial being the proper method of dealing with the body after death can, and is, made from Scripture. This is not true with any other method.

• Members

For many, if there is not a 'Thu shalt not .........................., its not in the Bible.

I think the there is a very good reason that God did not included within the Bible every 'Thou shalt not,' for every thing that we should do & or should not do.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

That being He wanted each of us to have a thrist for the 'Word,' & study the Bible, search the Scriptures, being a worker that is not ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth, thus following Jesus, on our own, without a bunch of 'Thou shalt nots..............!'

Yet many are to lazy to 'search the Scriptures' in order to be able to follow the 'Lamb of God' {Jesus} in every aspect of life so if something comes along that disagrees with their belief, they say its not in the Bible, there is not a 'Thou shalt not ...........' for that.

And I am not saying this to any one in particular, but this is fast becoming common among many professing Christians. And thus many are accusing some that has a hunger for the Word, that studies the Word, that search the Scriptures so they can rightly divide the word of the truth, of teaching false doctrine.

• Members

For many, if there is not a 'Thu shalt not .........................., its not in the Bible.

I think the there is a very good reason that God did not included within the Bible every 'Thou shalt not,' for every thing that we should do & or should not do.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

That being He wanted each of us to have a thrist for the 'Word,' & study the Bible, search the Scriptures, being a worker that is not ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth, thus following Jesus, on our own, without a bunch of 'Thou shalt nots..............!'

Yet many are to lazy to 'search the Scriptures' in order to be able to follow the 'Lamb of God' {Jesus} in every aspect of life so if something comes along that disagrees with their belief, they say its not in the Bible, there is not a 'Thou shalt not ...........' for that.

And I am not saying this to any one in particular, but this is fast becoming common among many professing Christians. And thus many are accusing some that has a hunger for the Word, that studies the Word, that search the Scriptures so they can rightly divide the word of the truth, of teaching false doctrine.

Amen!!! I heartily agree. If God had presented a long list of "thou shalt nots" then people would be doing as the Pharisees, trying to hold to the letter of the law while missing the matters of the heart. God wants us to draw close to Him and spend time with Him and His Word so we may know His Word and His will without having to be told "thou shalt not" about every thing we should avoid. God should not have to tell us "thou should" for we should learn this from a rightful study of His Word.