• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Soldier of the Cross

John81

• Members

Imagine that you enlisted in the armed forces. You arrive at basic training and you are told you are to get up at a certain time, wear certain clothes, and immediately do whatever the drill sargeant tells you to do.

You respond, "I really want to be a good soldier but I want to sleep a little later so I'll catch up with you later in the day. And that uniform itches so, if it is OK with you, I'm just going to wear my workout clothes."

What do you think would happen? You would be on extra duty for the rest of camp! You also would get up when you were told and be wearing the uniform given you. Why? Because a soldier does not negotiate with his/her commander.

We don't negotiate discipleship either! We are not given the luxury of deciding what commands to obey and what to ignore. We are not invited to participate whenever it is convenient. No, the Lord calls us to "Deny ourselves, take up our cross daily, and follow Him." (Luke 9:23) Our job is to trust the Commander completely and to follow Him fully.

Isn't it surprising how many people still try to negotiate a discipleship that is more to their liking? Are you one of those people?

Pastor Bruce

• Members

Have you noticed threads which deal with our laying aside self and giving our all to Christ get very few responses?

That could be a good thing, maybe everyone agrees and there is no need to argue about it. :coolsmiley:

That could be a good thing, maybe everyone agrees and there is no need to argue about it. :coolsmiley:

There is no negotiating with God. The only negotiation was made by Jeus Christ at the cross.

Amen to the thread!