• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John 14:1-4

irishman

• Members

Heard some preaching lately on Jn. 14:1-4 (actually that was not the main topic though) about Christ building our mansion. Some say that our mansion is merely an apartment, etc., but if the Bible says mansion, then it means mansion! Anyway, the speaker went on to say how Jesus is now in heaven, preparing a place for us. That is the common thought here, but I wonder if the "preparation" is not referring to Calvary, and not an actual work in heaven. What I mean is, What sort of preparation would Christ have to make that is not already made? Wouldn't He merely have to speak it, and it is done? He was (in his earthly life) a carpenter's son, so do you think He is actually building places for us to dwell in with heavenly material? I believe we miss the message here, and that it refers to Him going to the cross, and thereby preparing or reserving a place for us in Heaven.

He did speak about "mansions" as if they already existed ("In my Father's house are many mansions...") It was somewhat supported by v. 6, where Jesus makes it clear that we have a place before the throne of grace, and that He is the only way to get there. (the "Door", etc.) No man can get to heaven except he go to the cross first. And why not go first to the cross, and accept Christ? I would think that if we gave our sons life for the scum of the earth, we would expect others to appreciate it enough to humble themselves, and recognize that it was on their behalf that he died! Wouldn't you?

Edited by irishman

• Members

If I were to do an outline for a message (and i will use this) it would go somewhat (just a skeleton would need more flesh) like this:

v-1 Believe, Salvation is thru Belief, God's Blood shed for us.

v-2 The Cross, Room for ALL, He goes before us (side note Gen. 1 God created, John 1 The Word created); New Jerusalem.

v-3 - Second Coming

v-4 The Cross, "Know" settled

v-5 Man's doubt

V-6 Assurance, He is the "WAY", only 1 Door, Entrance (OHSA would try to stop that, "confined space", only 1 entrance)

Side note, Mansion is Mansion, if all of us alive right now went to heaven and had a place in the New Jerusalem we each would have over 1/2 cubic mile to ourselves. (1500*1500*1500/6 billion)

• Members

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I often chuckle to myself when I hear people say that Jesus, as a carpenter, is building you a home in Heaven, and He's been doing it for the last 2000 years! It sure makes good preaching, but it's not sound doctrine.

If He can speak the worlds into existence (Hebrews 11:3) then it won't take him that long to prepare our mansions, amen.

"In my Father's house" is a reference to the third Heaven, where God's throne is, and also where that wonderful city New Jerusalem is. So "I go to prepare a place for you" in context is Heaven.

Calvary plays a key part in this, for without first shedding his blood, dying, being buried, and rising from the dead, Jesus could not have ascended to Heaven and cleansed the heavenlies with his blood, thereby "preparing" it for both Old and New Testament saints to enter.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Hebrews 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. 21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. 22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. 23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; 26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Ephesians 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

• Members

hi soj, glad to have you here.

If "preparing a place" is heaven, again I say the text doesn't bear it out. The same reasoning would apply if it were the third heaven, what sort of preparation need be made? Calvary is the only thing that prepares us for heaven. And if the New Jerusalem is there, and Jesus was referring to it, then it is already in existence (as I stated in the original post, Christ spoke in the present tense), and gain there is no preparation needed other than occupancy!

Good thoughts though.

Edited by irishman

• Members

hi soj, glad to have you here.

Thanks brother, it's good to be a part of this community.

If "preparing a place" is heaven, again I say the text doesn't bear it out. The same reasoning would apply if it were the third heaven, what sort of preparation need be made?

The verses I posted previously in Hebrews bear record that Jesus needed to purify the heavens after his resurrection, that was the preparation I believe he was talking about. That's why those OT saints went to Abraham's Bosom when they died and not directly to Heaven. Once Christ had purified Heaven (prepared it) with his pure, sinless blood, he then returned to earth an ascended again 40 days later. From that time onwards those who died in Christ went straight to Heaven because it was ready for them.

Calvary is the only thing that prepares us for heaven. And if the New Jerusalem is there, and Jesus was referring to it, then it is already in existence (as I stated in the original post, Christ spoke in the present tense), and gain there is no preparation needed other than occupancy!

Jesus said "I go to prepare a place for you", I take it to literally mean a geographical location.

• Members

Thanks brother, it's good to be a part of this community.

The verses I posted previously in Hebrews bear record that Jesus needed to purify the heavens after his resurrection, that was the preparation I believe he was talking about. That's why those OT saints went to Abraham's Bosom when they died and not directly to Heaven. Once Christ had purified Heaven (prepared it) with his pure, sinless blood, he then returned to earth an ascended again 40 days later. From that time onwards those who died in Christ went straight to Heaven because it was ready for them.

Jesus said "I go to prepare a place for you", I take it to literally mean a geographical location.

interesting theory....

• Members

Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Yes, Jesus is clear, "In my His Father's house are man mansions, them goes on to say, "I go to prepare a place for you."

Does He not infer, there are already mansions in heaven, yet I go to prepare a place for you. Quite clear, those mansions are not for us, yet He is preparing a place for us.

My thought, our adOBe in heaven will be better than those mansions Jesus speaks of.

Yet many feel the mansions spoken of will be our adOBe.

• Members

I try to take the Bible literally wherever possible, so when Jesus said what he said in John 14:2-3 I really do believe he was talking about literal mansions in a literal place, that place being Heaven (the Father's house). I do also appreciate the spiritual application of being prepared for Heaven though Calvary.

The following passages of scripture could well compliment what Jesus said about "going to prepare a place":

Hebrews 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

• Members

While God's Word never changes, the meanings of English words get changed and corrupted down through the centuries. Even in our own lifetimes words like "gay" have been degenerated into meaning something else entirely.. When someone mentions the word "mansion" we all think of the huge, fancy homes of the wealthy but, that may not have been the meaning back in the year 1611. The word "mansion" once meant simply an abode, residence, dwelling or a "place".

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED26826

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3438&t=KJV

Notice what it says:
John 14: 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. If a "mansion" was a big house, why have millions of "houses" within a "house"?

However, God uses alot of builder's terms throughout the Bible and Jesus himself is even called the "cornerstone" so it makes me wonder.
Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I never said that they were not literal mansions, in fact, I believe they were. My point is the preparing of them. I do not think it is spiritualizing the scripture when Christ predicts going to Calvary to prepare a way for us. I think it is, in fact, rater basic. Everything centers around Calvary, and the sacrifice that our savior made for us there; it is the beginning of our salvation as far as we are concerned. It is exciting to discover passages that foretell of the substitionary death of Christ on our behalf. if we cannot rejoice in that, we are of all men most wretched.

Edited by irishman

• Members

Heard some preaching lately on Jn. 14:1-4 (actually that was not the main topic though) about Christ building our mansion. Some say that our mansion is merely an apartment, etc., but if the Bible says mansion, then it means mansion! the scum of the earth, we would expect others to appreciate it enough to humble themselves, and recognize that it was on their behalf that he died! Wouldn't you?

The apartment deal comes from the new versions. Some say "rooms". I guess we'll all be renting off of God and could be evicted if we fall behind in our rent.

• Members

While God's Word never changes, the meanings of English words get changed and corrupted down through the centuries. Even in our own lifetimes words like "gay" have been degenerated into meaning something else entirely.. When someone mentions the word "mansion" we all think of the huge, fancy homes of the wealthy but, that may not have been the meaning back in the year 1611. The word "mansion" once meant simply an abode, residence, dwelling or a "place".

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED26826

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3438&t=KJV

Notice what it says:
John 14: 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. If a "mansion" was a big house, why have millions of "houses" within a "house"?

However, God uses alot of builder's terms throughout the Bible and Jesus himself is even called the "cornerstone" so it makes me wonder.
Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

The word "mansion" is related to the word "manse" which means "a large stately house, suffiecent land for a family". This was the meaning when the KJV translators used the word.

The "house of Israel" was full of familes who lived in homes, not rooms. So the word "house" doesn't necessarily mean "home". Again, in 1611, the word "house" did not mean "home" (i.e. building) but rather "family" or "dynasty" as in the House of Tudor, etc. I'm sure everyone in the House of Tudor had their own mansion. Edited by Wilchbla