• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Separation from the world and separated unto Jesus Christ

• Members

I John 2:15-17 says, "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever."

We as believers need to be separated from the world and its lusts. But we need to be separated unto God from the world. We can live a separated, legalistic life in the flesh, but we will not be separated unto God unless we are filled or controlled by the Holy Spirit. To be separated unto Him, we need to be controlled by the Holy Spirit!

:ears: :ears: :ears: :Green :Green :Green

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pastor JUST preached on this tonight. He was preaching on the "unto Jesus Christ" part though... reminding us that separation is not only severing yourself from the filth of the world, but adding to your life things that please God.

• Members

Hebrews 13:11-13 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

I have this note in my Bible next to this passage of Scripture:

This first represents Christ's identification with sinners and outcasts. Deuteronomy 23 and Leviticus 13:45-46. Secondly, it represents separation of God's people from a compromising and Christ-rejecting world unto God, to be with, and identified with, Jesus Christ who is outside the camp of this world (Leviticus 20:26).

Here is an excellent sermon by Harry Ironside: Inside The Veil And Outside The Camp.

• Members
Give us an example of what you think a Christians life would be like if they were truly separated from the world and the Holy Spirit was controlling them.

Since no one has offered the real life examples that you asked about I decided to take a stab at it.

Separated from the world

#1 - not indulging in the things of this world (avoiding secular music, the movie theater, video games, Sunday sports/amusements, ect)

#2 - not being influenced by the things of this world (having the wrong friends will always lead us astray)

#3 - not living for the things of the this world (such as power, money, greed, accumulation of things, status, ect)

Separated unto God

#1 - surrounding ourselves with spiritual things (godly music, good books, scripture memorization) and spiritual people (local church involvement)

#2 - living a practical Christian life of contentment and good will

#3 - giving the gospel out at every opportunity to our neighbours, friends, relatives, ect.

• Members

Since no one has offered the real life examples that you asked about I decided to take a stab at it.

Separated from the world

#1 - not indulging in the things of this world (avoiding secular music, the movie theater, video games, Sunday sports/amusements, ect)

#2 - not being influenced by the things of this world (having the wrong friends will always lead us astray)

#3 - not living for the things of the this world (such as power, money, greed, accumulation of things, status, ect)

Separated unto God

#1 - surrounding ourselves with spiritual things (godly music, good books, scripture memorization) and spiritual people (local church involvement)

#2 - living a practical Christian life of contentment and good will

#3 - giving the gospel out at every opportunity to our neighbours, friends, relatives, ect.

Seems to me # 2 is one we all fail most miserably. How many Christians seem to have true contentment?

I always think there should be an easy distinction between the lost who are of this world, and the saved who are not suppose to be of this world.

I keep thinking of Lazarus who had noting, but in Abraham's bosom not good was withheld from him.

How many of us really live our lives a living sacrifice?

How many of our lives really resemble Jesus'?

• Members

I agree with much of what you said, but what is your basis for this one? What constitutes the "things of this world?" If something is not morally wrong, when does it become "of the world?" I believe that something is of the world when it is partaking in something that is sinful. Grocery stores and theme parks could also be called "of the world" but obviously there is nothing wrong with buying food or riding on a roller coaster. So I also don't see watching a clean movie or listening to clean secular music(classical is secular) as being of the world.

• Members

A liberal is not just some guy who disagrees with me; he is instead someone who doesn't give God His proper place and who has to spin and re=spin the Bible until he pleases himself.
-Shelton Smith

We are so use to pleasing ourself in this life, seeing most everyone else do the same, that we worry little about pleasing God, we really think God will accept any choice we make. We tell ourself, those things we want to do are alright, for we do not care if we cause someone to stumble and or not get saved, as long as we don't deprive ourself of things the world has to offer us.

There have been people who got their happiness from doing what is right in the sight of God at every turn, these people realize that in that life to come that God has promised them that thru Jesus Christ that nothing good will be withheld from them. These people work for treasures in heaven, and when you watch one of them you can easily tell where they are storing up treasures.

Of course if you have no idea what is right in the sight of God, you will think people are storing up treasures in heaven, even when they are not doing nothing but living for this world.

• Members

I would also like a response of this issue.....I realize if we're not careful, we cloud the issue on what is "of the world" and we may loose disearnment on this. When does it become "of the world"? To take it a step further than Kevin, there are some pop songs that "seem" o.k. But here again, those that talk about drinking, etc. are not. Same as some country artists who have done songs with meaning, but then sing about the bar scenes? So what exactly is "clean" secular music? I would also agree that nothing is wrong with watching a clean movie or listening to classical music. Taking this thought to the extreme, is that similar to going to the liquor store to buy Jack Daniels for your medicinal cough mixture? Something I wouldn't do because of the verse that tells us to "Abstain from the appearance of evil" plus contributing to the makers of alcohol.

One more thing....can someone tell me how to properly quote? I don't think I'm doing it right.

• Members

I read Jerry's post concerning this topic after writing my earlier post. I'd like to add a few things.

In the post he asked "How many of our lives really resemble Christ?"

When we ask ourselves that question, it no longer becomes a matter of "what's wrong with watching a clean movie" or "what about this or that type of music". It's a matter of "would this be pleasing to Christ?" If we're not careful, we start to justify things. But when we set our standards by Christ, and seek the truth....we always find it.

On this site, there are some interesting "Baptist Articles" written by various people. You'll find the link (I think on the home page). But the article I read concerned "watching a clean movie". After reading that, it was very clear that Christ would not have placed himself in today's movie theater to see even a "clean movie", if for no other reason than the foul language there, the clips that are shown prior to the movie, etc. etc. It's been several yrs since I went to a theater, but after reading the article posted on the site, I have no desire to go. I would encourage you to read the article. It was eye opening.

When does it become "of the world"?

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

If it could be part of the first verse or couldn't be part of the second verse it is best to avoid it. Even many movies generally considered "clean" are clean only by comparison to other movies. They are often a long way from pure...

• Members

I always think there should be an easy distinction between the lost who are of this world, and the saved who are not suppose to be of this world.

The Bible gives a couple answers to this. We are to be known for our love for one another and we are to be known by our fruits.

Both of these are too often ignored. Both are also selectively used rather than applied fairly. For instance, something we are probably all familiar with, many 'big name' Christians were quick to point out the unChristian things about professing Christian Bill Clinton. However, these same 'big name' Christians refused to apply the same biblical standards to professing Christian G. W. Bush.

On a more local level, that some may have seen or not; oftentimes a 'big shot' in the community (espcially one that donates lots of money) finds their fruit is not looked at in the same way the average church members is.

Do we love our brothers and sisters in Christ?

Do we bear the fruit of a Christian or the fruit of the world?

• Members

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Thanks, When we really read the scripture & those two verses, I think we have all the answers we need concerning the topic.

• Members
For instance, something we are probably all familiar with, many 'big name' Christians were quick to point out the unChristian things about professing Christian Bill Clinton. However, these same 'big name' Christians refused to apply the same biblical standards to professing Christian G. W. Bush.
You're kidding, right? This is comparing apples to oranges. While I disapprove a lot of what President Bush has done, to put him in the same "unChristian-like" category as President Clinton is disingenuous at best and naive at least. I'm curious to see what "sins" Bush has committed that meet the standards set by Clinton - please fill me in.