• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Country and Western Music "Christianity."

BrotherTony

• Members

Over the past few months, I have been listening closely to the lyrics of many Country and Western music artists when they are singing about God, Christ, and Christianity. It distresses me that so many within our churches these days listen to and blindly follow some of the doctrines within the songs sung by these singers. Their lifestyles betray them when it comes to their Christian values. While it is true that many do many good things, and they talk a lot about God, and some even give great testimonies of salvation, they do these things with glaring issues that are inconsistent with Biblical Christianity and Salvation. Many promote the ideology of baptism as their salvation, while many make mention of a prayer they said when they were young, while, when growing older, they have left the faith and are currently only involved in Christianity or things with Christian values to help increase the size of their returns on investment…money.

In listening to one country artist not too long ago, I heard him make these statements in the song he was singing…”I only talk to God when I need a favor,” and “Why should I expect to receive a savior?” This singer goes on to say that he sends up prayers like one saying the rosary. This is just one glaring example.

Let’s take one of the best-known country artists of all time, Dolly Parton. Ms. Parton talks often of her grandfather who was a pastor in a small country church. She says she came to be a believer when she was very young. She is well known for her good deeds and contribution to conservative causes. She does give some indication of salvation. But, if one listens closely, she speaks of “spiritual energy,” and “having faith” but never once names the name of Jesus Christ or what he’s done for her. This is a false Christianity.

There are many other examples of this false Christianity. It's definitely another "Jesus" they are putting forth to others. 

I'm not saying that many of these artists haven't truly been saved, but, I find it hard to believe that they are following Christ when they won't clearly come out and give HIM the glory and tell others what HE has done in their lives. 

• Members
On 10/3/2023 at 11:34 PM, BrotherTony said:

Over the past few months, I have been listening closely to the lyrics of many Country and Western music artists when they are singing about God, Christ, and Christianity. It distresses me that so many within our churches these days listen to and blindly follow some of the doctrines within the songs sung by these singers. Their lifestyles betray them when it comes to their Christian values. While it is true that many do many good things, and they talk a lot about God, and some even give great testimonies of salvation, they do these things with glaring issues that are inconsistent with Biblical Christianity and Salvation. Many promote the ideology of baptism as their salvation, while many make mention of a prayer they said when they were young, while, when growing older, they have left the faith and are currently only involved in Christianity or things with Christian values to help increase the size of their returns on investment…money.

In listening to one country artist not too long ago, I heard him make these statements in the song he was singing…”I only talk to God when I need a favor,” and “Why should I expect to receive a savior?” This singer goes on to say that he sends up prayers like one saying the rosary. This is just one glaring example.

Let’s take one of the best-known country artists of all time, Dolly Parton. Ms. Parton talks often of her grandfather who was a pastor in a small country church. She says she came to be a believer when she was very young. She is well known for her good deeds and contribution to conservative causes. She does give some indication of salvation. But, if one listens closely, she speaks of “spiritual energy,” and “having faith” but never once names the name of Jesus Christ or what he’s done for her. This is a false Christianity.

There are many other examples of this false Christianity. It's definitely another "Jesus" they are putting forth to others. 

I'm not saying that many of these artists haven't truly been saved, but, I find it hard to believe that they are following Christ when they won't clearly come out and give HIM the glory and tell others what HE has done in their lives. 

Yes this reminds me of rap artists who usually have a song about God in their album but the rest of the album is about cars, guns, alcohol and women with alot of swearing. I know country music usually isn't that bad, but both genres seem to have alot of singers who start in the church (or at least something that's calls itself a church), and then go way off into a different lifestyle.

• Members
1 hour ago, TheGloryLand said:

There is still some good country music out there. ? it is hard to listen to Hymnnal only. When you are not in church

There are some good Country songs. Secular music isn't automatically dismissed because of a genre. 

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

There are some good Country songs. Secular music isn't automatically dismissed because of a genre. 

I definitely understand and agree with how you feel about modern country music. It's very different than the stuff I grew up hearing as young child.

Even the country music in the late 80s into the 90s had some morally questionable lyrics but for me many of the songs gave me sort of a foundation when it came to God's presence in the world since my parents didn't speak of anything religious.

Probably the best example would be the George Strait song "A Love Without End, Amen"...where I was able to see God's goodness by thinking of how much my earthly father loved and provided for me.

Even songs like Lee Greenwood's - God Bless The USA made me feel proud to be in a country that worshipped HIM.

It's very different now. The music and lyrics are so generic and don't have any real meaning to them. There seems to be a tendency for country singers to transition to Christian music later in life like Randy Travis and Alan Jackson.

Edited by Disciple.Luke