• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can the fake news be reaching our weather…

TheGloryLand

• Members

Weather can be predicted...not always correctly...but in the area of hurricanes, storms, etc., accuracy has been improved greatly. Weather patterns help people to know what is going on....I don't think this is something that is economically or politically motivated. And, my brother who lives in the Tampa Bay area (Seminole) has stated that they are only calling for a possible category 3 hurricane possibly making landfall. It's also what I'm seeing on Weatherbug!

• Members
13 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Weather can be predicted...not always correctly...but in the area of hurricanes, storms, etc., accuracy has been improved greatly. Weather patterns help people to know what is going on....I don't think this is something that is economically or politically motivated. And, my brother who lives in the Tampa Bay area (Seminole) has stated that they are only calling for a possible category 3 hurricane possibly making landfall. It's also what I'm seeing on Weatherbug!

I can understand getting prepared, but their perditions are getting bolder. Even before it’s has become a hurricane. Scary people, and making them spend millions on supplies and food in the State of Florida. Getting into debt, to make it through the storm. Like I said, there is a time to prepare, not before it’s has been born.

• Members
7 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

I can understand getting prepared, but their perditions are getting bolder. Even before it’s has become a hurricane. Scary people, and making them spend millions on supplies and food in the State of Florida. Getting into debt, to make it through the storm. Like I said, there is a time to prepare, not before it’s has been born.

You're taking an alarmist and unrealistic attitude towards what has pretty much been an established and fairly accurate practice for the National Weather Service and NSSL and other agencies across the globe. It's always a good thing to prepare for these disasters ahead of time, not just a few hours before they occur.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared and buying things one knows will be necessary if the storm hits certain areas. 

• Administrators

But there is something wrong with hoarding; as in the recent Pandemic, where no one could even find a roll of toilet paper because others hoard well in advance. That is a "me first" attitude that has no place among true believers.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

But there is something wrong with hoarding; as in the recent Pandemic, where no one could even find a roll of toilet paper because others hoard well in advance. That is a "me first" attitude that has no place among true believers.

I agree that hoarding is a sin...but, question, Jim...was hoarding even mentioned or implied here, or were you just mentioning it as a side-note? ? 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I agree that hoarding is a sin...but, question, Jim...was hoarding even mentioned or implied here, or were you just mentioning it as a side-note? ? 

No Tony, hoarding was my word. I used it because of any possible extreme circumstances like we experienced in the Pandemic. My usage of that word was predicated on what you said here: "There is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared and buying things one knows will be necessary if the storm hits certain areas.".

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

No Tony, hoarding was my word. I used it because of any possible extreme circumstances like we experienced in the Pandemic. My usage of that word was predicated on what you said here: "There is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared and buying things one knows will be necessary if the storm hits certain areas.".

I wasn't inferring "hoarding." Yet, it probably does need to be pointed out. With that said, I will repeat, it's never wrong to prepare. I know in natural disasters, or shortly before, the are a minute number of people who will hoard and try to enrich themselves on the misery of others. 

• Moderators

On 9/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Hoarding’ toilet paper well in advance doesn’t cause shortages, because the supply chain has already adjusted for those purchases. It’s buying cartloads when things start to get short that exacerbate shortages. It’s never wrong to plan in advance and have lots on hand (key word ‘advance’), even a year’s worth like the Mormons used to. And buying it early gives the stores time to replace it. 

I think the Gov/media try to discredit bring prepared because they want people dependent on the government - gives them more power.

Funny story… I always buy the biggest package of TP available, and it lasts about half a year for one person. I do this just for situations like early Covid. Guess when that big package ran out? Same weekend all the TP disappeared. ?‍♀️?

• Administrators

Salyan, I don't know about where you live, but where I live TP was certainly hoarded at the beginning of the Pandemic. My wording in  saying "well in advance" may have been the wrong term, because there was no "well in advance" at the beginning of the Pandemic.

It was hoarded to the extent that there was none available anywhere for over a month. Once it became available it was rationed by store clerks to keep people from hoarding; you couldn't just go in and grab a package, you had to get a clerk to give you one and it was kept at the front of the store so they could monitor it. This was not just one store, but all of them. Even paper towels and napkins were affected because people were using them in the absence of TP.

And it wasn't just TP; some stores looked like they were going out of business because the shelves looked bare. People were certainly hoarding. Any time you see someone pushing a cart and pulling a second one, both full of the same product, that is hoarding and perhaps, "well in advance"

• Members
34 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Salyan, I don't know about where you live, but where I live TP was certainly hoarded at the beginning of the Pandemic. My wording in  saying "well in advance" may have been the wrong term, because there was no "well in advance" at the beginning of the Pandemic.

It was hoarded to the extent that there was none available anywhere for over a month. Once it became available it was rationed by store clerks to keep people from hoarding; you couldn't just go in and grab a package, you had to get a clerk to give you one and it was kept at the front of the store so they could monitor it. This was not just one store, but all of them. Even paper towels and napkins were affected because people were using them in the absence of TP.

And it wasn't just TP; some stores looked like they were going out of business because the shelves looked bare. People were certainly hoarding. Any time you see someone pushing a cart and pulling a second one, both full of the same product, that is hoarding and perhaps, "well in advance"

I know here they were selling only 2 pks and 4 pks of TP for several months, and that was limited to 1 per family...not person, but family, and they were actually checking drivers licenses. They were doing the same with eggs, cartons of milk, sausage, bacon, and even hamburger. It was a good thing we had 30 things of SPAM in our pantry. We had TP as well...but we also had a large pile of newspapers in case. We learned years ago to have alternatives because of the blizzards in WI, MN, IN, and IL that we went through. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Napsterdad said:

I love me a fried SPAM sandwich on Rye, but 30 cans!? Sounds like hoarding to me. ?

It's hardly hoarding when it feeds two people. One can won't last very long, much less two. Based on the amount of SPAM my family uses each month, it's not even adequate. SPAM has a lot of uses and can be used in many recipes. You're always entitled to your opinion...::Rolling Eyes::?

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

It's hardly hoarding when it feeds two people. One can won't last very long, much less two. Based on the amount of SPAM my family uses each month, it's not even adequate. SPAM has a lot of uses and can be used in many recipes. You're always entitled to your opinion...::Rolling Eyes::?

Spam 3x10 = high cholesterol  ?

spam GIF