• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Southern Baptist author urges distinction between love of God and love of country

Razor

• Members

Are Baptists guilty of confusing God and country? I believe some do and some do not. What are your thoughts on this?

The “America first” brand of nationalism that has flourished during the Donald Trump era is a near-idolatrous exaltation of country that has usurped biblical notions of patriotism for many evangelicals and other Americans, Southern Baptist preacher and author Adam Wyatt said.

Scripture encourages Christians to love and serve their countries but not to the detriment of other nations or their citizens because they, too, are divinely created, said Wyatt, pastor of Corinth Baptist Church in Magee, Miss., and author of the 2021 book Biblical Patriotism: An Evangelical Alternative to Nationalism.

“You can’t say America alone is this country that God has chosen to use. God loves all the nations because he wants them all to be saved,” he said.

Even the Puritan vision of America as “a city on a hill” set apart by God is OK as long as Christians realize other nations also may enjoy such distinctions, he added. “If you look at our history, you can see that God has given us some differences, but you can’t say God doesn’t have his hand over North Korea or any other nation, too.”

https://baptistnews.com/article/southern-baptist-author-urges-distinction-between-love-of-god-and-love-of-country/#.YdxOwf7MJJw

Edited by Razor

• Members

God bless America, only applies to believers in God, which God, the only begotten son, Jesus the Christ. We are opening our doors to every religious and any religion here in America. Some are sneaking in, then they will take over. The devil satan, leaves countries like north Korea alone, for they are on his side already. He attacking Christian Countries. The Southern Baptist will cave in first to Love, starting with acceptance of the LGBTQ movement.

• Members
39 minutes ago, E Morales said:

God bless America, only applies to believers in God, which God, the only begotten son, Jesus the Christ. We are opening our doors to every religious and any religion here in America. Some are sneaking in, then they will take over. The devil satan, leaves countries like north Korea alone, for they are on his side already. He attacking Christian Countries. The Southern Baptist will cave in first to Love, starting with acceptance of the LGBTQ movement.

Your assessment of the SBC is hogwash. Very few churches in the SBC accept/promote the homosexual lifestyle. We've got several IFB churches throughout our state that support it as well...should I make blanket statements about all IFB churches being a danger? 

• Members
1 minute ago, BrotherTony said:

Your assessment of the SBC is hogwash. Very few churches in the SBC accept/promote the homosexual lifestyle. We've got several IFB churches throughout our state that support it as well...should I make blanket statements about all IFB churches being a danger? 

Homosexuality has nothing to do with nationalism. Do you know what the word 'nationalism' means. It seems you do not. Gee, BrotherTony, figure out the subject before heading off into never-never land. Thanks. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, Razor said:

Homosexuality has nothing to do with nationalism. Do you know what the word 'nationalism' means. It seems you do not. Gee, BrotherTony, figure out the subject before heading off into never-never land. Thanks. 

Learn to read the thread, Bill....Morales brought up the LGBTQ...INTRODUCED Into the conversation. Comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

• Members
36 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Learn to read the thread, Bill....Morales brought up the LGBTQ...INTRODUCED Into the conversation. Comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

I was led to believe that insults, such as you just posted, are not allowed on the board. 

Try staying with the original topic, nationalism. OK?

I remember you said in one of your posts you are still foggy from Covid. Perhaps I should simply ignore you and your confusion. 

Blessings and stay well. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Razor said:

I was led to believe that insults, such as you just posted, are not allowed on the board. 

I remember you said in one of your posts you are still foggy from Covid. Perhaps I should simply ignore you and your confusion. 

Blessings and stay well. 

I believe YOU are the one who was hurling the insults. Don't lecture me until you can practice what you're preaching. Thanks. NO need for false blessings towards me...you've shown your true colors more than once. I'm more than willing to stay on nationalism...are you?

• Members
21 minutes ago, Razor said:

Blessings and stay well. 

Watch out, trying to get you in trouble my friend. Put on ignore list. Take care and be safe from this virus.

• Members
5 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Watch out, trying to get you in trouble my friend. Put on ignore list. Take care and be safe from this virus.

Wow..still making false accusations. Amazing. This thread is about nationalism. 

• Members

Welcome to the Church of Laodicea, we have many flags for our members to pick, grab a Rainbow flag for your LGTB hill of Calvary, or perhaps if you sit across the aisle you may prefer a proud USA flag. Either way, we are For the people! Who cares if our doctrine is off, we support our people rights! Freedom! Liberty! Social Justice!

• Members
4 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Welcome to the Church of Laodicea, we have many flags for our members to pick, grab a Rainbow flag for your LGTB hill of Calvary, or perhaps if you sit across the aisle you may prefer a proud USA flag. Either way, we are For the people! Who cares if our doctrine is off, we support our people rights! Freedom! Liberty! Social Justice!

You might be off as you did mention, but at lease your are respectful. Be Safe

• Members
9 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Agreed, Hugh. There are a lot of flavors of Baptists/Christians/pseudo-Christians in this world. We have to be willing to decide what is worth separating over and affects our Gospel message.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

You might be off as you did mention, but at lease your are respectful. Be Safe

The true independent Baptist will never except gay marriages, but gay folks to repent, and to turn back into the sex you was born with, male or female. This is what the good book approved. 

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

I believe YOU are the one who was hurling the insults. Don't lecture me until you can practice what you're preaching. Thanks. NO need for false blessings towards me...you've shown your true colors more than once. I'm more than willing to stay on nationalism...are you?

Sure. What is your feeling about Christianity and nationalism,

47 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Yes, I think I will. Thanks for the advice. I'll not sink to the level of insulting others. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Razor said:

Sure. What is your feeling about Christianity and nationalism,

I don't believe in "Christian nationalism." There's nothing wrong with supporting ones country, but God comes before country in any instance.