• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Firearms thread.

DaveW

• Members

Our windows are double-pane and they slide up and down. But they also have a feature which allows you to tilt them out for cleaning without having to go outside. The only ones which would be a problem escaping are the ones upstairs; the two dormer windows don't slide up enough and the gable-end ones are really hard to slide up.  I think I installed those too tight in the wood frame. I do have an escape ladder upstairs to let down in an emergency but I don't think it reaches down far enough. The bottom of the window is about 15' off the ground. Ouch!

Edited by heartstrings

• Administrators

My folks specifically chose these types of windows because when they got the house, they had my then-almost-95-year-old grandmother and my 11-year-old nephew living with them. They were then in their mid 60s as well. They thought this type of window would be safest and easiest egress for the disparate age groups. We have a ranch-style, so none of them are far off the ground. 

I personally like a little more wall, but it definitely gets light in here. That's nice, too.

Fire alarms were mentioned earlier.  We have a number of them. One in the sitting room, one in our bedroom (formerly my grandmother's), one in my mom's room. They not only sound - very loudly! - but they also have a light alarm. My folks got these because my grandma was almost completely deaf, so they wanted to make sure if there was a fire she would wake up some how. We also have a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke alarm. Not gonna talk about what weapons we may or may not have. =D

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

My folks specifically chose these types of windows because when they got the house, they had my then-almost-95-year-old grandmother and my 11-year-old nephew living with them. They were then in their mid 60s as well. They thought this type of window would be safest and easiest egress for the disparate age groups. We have a ranch-style, so none of them are far off the ground. 

I personally like a little more wall, but it definitely gets light in here. That's nice, too.

Fire alarms were mentioned earlier.  We have a number of them. One in the sitting room, one in our bedroom (formerly my grandmother's), one in my mom's room. They not only sound - very loudly! - but they also have a light alarm. My folks got these because my grandma was almost completely deaf, so they wanted to make sure if there was a fire she would wake up some how. We also have a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke alarm. Not gonna talk about what weapons we may or may not have. =D

Aw....my wife just inherited her grandma's GINORMOUS rolling pin......  :4_6_100:

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, heartstrings said:

Sorry bro. I missed it. Yes, just here in the NW Florida pinewoods we have bears, panthers coyotes, and possibly some of those with "coywolf" DNA  and these have all been known to attack human beings., Then in more populated areas we have pit bulls and other "domesticated" slobbering maulers which, unlike your dingoes, have no fear of man which makes them far more dangerous. And we have lots of two legged snakes. I'm good with the knowledge that you feel at ease. The only issue I take is with people who want to scoff at my choice to carry a defensive weapon or try to take my right away. Meantime, I just put it on every morning like a belt, and go about my day. It just hangs there and harms no one, just like a fire extinguisher.

How far north have those rock pythons come? I know they will attack pets and small children. They are very stealthy and tenacious when hungry. Have they attacked any adults? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Alimantado said:

That's a great idea--never encountered those. What happens when you polish them though?

They stay put. Extra force has to be applied, more than when cleaning them, in order to get them out. My folks have had the place since 2004 and never needed to get out through the windows, but they've been washed many a time (good thing, eh, in 13 years! LOL ) and stay in place. I don't know that my little grandma would have had the strength to push a window out had there been need, but my nephew's room was right next to hers and my folks taught him that, if there were a fire, he would be the one to get to Grandma first and help her. He would have had the strength to push them out if needed. I'm just glad that we've never, to this point, needed to try them!

• Members
3 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

They stay put. Extra force has to be applied, more than when cleaning them, in order to get them out. My folks have had the place since 2004 and never needed to get out through the windows, but they've been washed many a time (good thing, eh, in 13 years! LOL ) and stay in place. I don't know that my little grandma would have had the strength to push a window out had there been need, but my nephew's room was right next to hers and my folks taught him that, if there were a fire, he would be the one to get to Grandma first and help her. He would have had the strength to push them out if needed. I'm just glad that we've never, to this point, needed to try them!

Made me wonder (my old lightbulb flickers from time to time). If I had a set of decking plate pullers I wonder if I could pull out the window to get to a victim or...rob your house? Have you ever attempted to rob your house by pulling out the windows (if I just had the knee slap laughing emoticon).

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Made me wonder (my old lightbulb flickers from time to time). If I had a set of decking plate pullers I wonder if I could pull out the window to get to a victim or...rob your house? Have you ever attempted to rob your house by pulling out the windows (if I just had the knee slap laughing emoticon).

:smilie_frech_015:There is no ROFL emoticon, either, but this was funny! No, I've never attempted to rob my house - by pulling out the windows or any other way. I'm still chuckling as I write that (picturing myself robbing myself  LOL).

Tell you what - you can give it an attempt. Then you'll find out if we have any weapons or not. hehehehehe

• Members
17 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

How far north have those rock pythons come? I know they will attack pets and small children. They are very stealthy and tenacious when hungry. Have they attacked any adults? 

The largest snakes I've ever seen here, except in zoos, are diamondback rattlers and those do hurt people pretty bad. It may not be 'tropical' enough this far north for those invasive species of boas and pythons, but then again, we don't live in a jungle/river bottom area either . I thought those were in the Everglades region.