• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Charles Stanley

Left the Bldg

• Members

Charles Stanley holds to the unbiblical view that, while all of the saved are part of God's Kingdom, some of the saved will be judged at the Judgment Saet of Christ and cast into outer darkness.

Those who are lost will not be judged at the Bema Judgment Seat, 1 Corinthians 3:12-15, only the saved will be present, & they will not be judged whether saved or lost, all that are present are saved, they will be judge to receive rewards or lose rewards. 

1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

All of the unsaved will be judged at the Great White Throne Judgment Seat, they will not be judge if they are saved or lost, for they are at this judgment because they rejected the Savior Jesus Christ, after their judgment each one will be cast into the lake of fire.

Re 20:11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Re 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Re 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Re 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

And Jesus will be the Judge at both Judgment Seats.

• Members

Here is a paragraph that begins on page 126 of Charles Stanley's book, "Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure?":

Weeping and Gnashing

Now, back to our original question.  Where is this place represented by the "outer darkness" in Jesus' parables?  To be in the "outer darkness" is to be in the kingdom of God but outside the circle of men and women whose faithfulness on this earth earned them a special rank or position of special authority.

Charles Stanley goes on to say:

The "outer darkness" represents not so much an actual place as it does a sphere of influence and privilege.  It is not a geographical area in the kingdom where certain  men and women are consigned to stay.  It is simply a figure of speech describing their low rank or status in God's kingdom. 

What we see in his book is that the outer darkness Jesus speaks of casting the servant into is in Heaven.  It is a state of poverty, if you will.  The person did not qualify to be in "a sphere of influence," whatever that means. 

"Sphere of influence" sounds much like social standing we have on Earth.  The poor are looked down on while the rich magnify themselves and care not for the affairs of the poor. 

Sounds like Charles is putting Pharisees in Heaven...

"Lord, I thank Thee that I'm not like that sinner over there..."  Now, where have we read that before, hmmmm?

Charles Stanley continues:

The reason there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth by those who find themselves in this position becomes obvious once we eliminate some confusion over the phrase, "gnashing of teeth."  This figure of speech does not symbolize pain as many have thought.

Oh really?  A figure of speech?  Doesn't sound like "figure of speech to me."

Matthew 13:40-42 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

What I believe Stanley is attempting to do, is to minimize the severity of God's judgment on "them which do work iniquity."  Stanley's heaven does not have the tares burned up, but rather given their own place in the kingdom of Heaven.

Why did Christ have to die, if that were true?

• Members

Stanley continues:

The best example of what it really denotes is found at the end of Stephen's sermon in Acts.  Stephen had been falsely accused of blasphemy.  After his long defense, his accusers were "cut to the quick, and they began gnashing their teeth at him" (Acts 7:54).  Why?  Because they were in pain? No, because "they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking" (Acts 6:10).  Those men heard the truth, knew they were in error, and could not take it.  They were extremely frustrated with themselves.  But instead of repenting, they silenced the voice of truth.

Amazing, eh?  Those cast into outer darkness will be those who "were unable to cope with wisdom and the Spirit" and who "silence the voice of truth."  Those who are cast into this "outer darkness" of Heaven will be ones who have rejected the Spirit and silenced truth... according to Stanley.

My Bible tells me that all liars will have their part in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone.  Much different from the judgment that Stanley teaches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As others have said, I have listened to Charles Stanely in the past.  My first problem with him is that he isn't KJVO.  He doesn't get into the Bible much, at all.  I believe that is good b/c it isn't KJVO:)  In fact, his teachings are how to live a Christian life.  While not as bad as Joel Osteen, in my opinion, he doesn't get into the meat of the Word, at all.  I know many Roman Catholics who love Charles Stanely.  Hopefully, they can use his teachings as a stepping stone to better preachers.  I have never heard Stanley offer an invitation of salvation, but it has been some time since I listened to him.  My :twocents:.   

• Members

I watched Charles Stanley several weeks ago...I might be wrong, but I think his age is catching up to him.  He seemed to stammer a bit and be at a loss for words at times.

His son, Andy Stanley, who is even more popular, is worse yet.

Indeed.  I was flipping through the channels and saw him being interviewed by someone...so I stopped to see what it was about.  He was being interviewed by Joyce Meyers on her show.  I watched it for a couple of minutes and that was enough.  His theology is bad enough, but If he can agree to go on her show, that's all I needed to know.  

• Members

The last time I saw Charles Stanley preach it seemed the effects of age were indeed having an impact. His speaking and mannerisms are not near as clear, quick and sharp as they once were. That coupled with his becoming every more "watery", would seem to be more than enough reasons for him to step down.

Andy long ago chose the watery path to popularity and "success" over strong biblical stands. I recall him filling in for his dad sometimes many years ago and he preached a more solid sermon back then. Today he prefers to sit down and chat a message rather than actually preaching a sermon.

I guess that's what all the cool preachers are doing these days! :icon_rolleyes:

• Members

I watched Charles Stanley several weeks ago...I might be wrong, but I think his age is catching up to him.  He seemed to stammer a bit and be at a loss for words at times.

Indeed.  I was flipping through the channels and saw him being interviewed by someone...so I stopped to see what it was about.  He was being interviewed by Joyce Meyers on her show.  I watched it for a couple of minutes and that was enough.  His theology is bad enough, but If he can agree to go on her show, that's all I needed to know.  

Wow, being interviewed by her, something is very wrong with the man.

I watched Joyce Meyers 2 or 3 times just to see what she had to say.

Once she was talking about wanting a big fancy car, said she prayed about it, them went & bought one of those real fancy shiny Mercury's. Her point was, when you want something, never settled for nothing but the best, God wants all of His children to have the best of the best.

Another one she said, Send all of your unpaid bills to me, along with some seed money. If you don't have any seed money, have a garage sale, them send the money you make from it, along with all of your unpaid bills. When i get the seed money, & your unpaid bills, I will pray over them, them i will burn them. After which forget about your unpaid bills & enjoy life without any debts, but be sure to keep on sending in that seed money to me.

• Members

Wow, being interviewed by her, something is very wrong with the man.

I watched Joyce Meyers 2 or 3 times just to see what she had to say.

Once she was talking about wanting a big fancy car, said she prayed about it, them went & bought one of those real fancy shiny Mercury's. Her point was, when you want something, never settled for nothing but the best, God wants all of His children to have the best of the best.

Another one she said, Send all of your unpaid bills to me, along with some seed money. If you don't have any seed money, have a garage sale, them send the money you make from it, along with all of your unpaid bills. When i get the seed money, & your unpaid bills, I will pray over them, them i will burn them. After which forget about your unpaid bills & enjoy life without any debts, but be sure to keep on sending in that seed money to me.

For the life of me...I can't believe that people fall for this kind of garbage.  But they do.

Absolutely disgusting...

Archived