• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Divorced Man Become A Deacon, Pastor Or A Preacher?

The Glory Land

• Members

Ask God why he gave these qualifications, I only try to follow Him as closely as possible, & I can't answer why he does not want a divorced man to be pastor of a church.

With that said, even if its adultery, there should not be a divorce, there should be forgiveness. Divorce is offered only because of the hardness of mans heart. And if the married man & woman actually followed God there would be no divorce, only forgiveness.

While I wholly agree with your second point, I respectfully disagree with the first one. There is no mention or direct reference to divorce in either passage in Timothy and Titus. Reading them in their clearest and most literal sense leans more toward polygamy than it does divorce and remarriage. You have to import your assumptions into the passage to get it to say anything about divorce at all. Like I said in my previous post, if you demand that this passage prohibits a divorced man then you must also demand that single men and widowers are disqualified as well because they do not have one wife. That would mean if the Lord calls your wife home first you would have to step down from your pastorate.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's such a good point which is so often totally ignored today. Even if we think we have a reason to divorce, even if we think we have a right to divorce, that doesn't mean we have to or even should.

So I often I hear pastors, as well as other Christians, telling married folks all sorts of "good reasons" it's okay to get a divorce and why certain folks should get one.

Even if there is a situation where a couple is forced to be separated, that doesn't mean one has to file for divorce.

Too many Christians think just like the world, grasp at any excuse to divorce and then immediately start looking for a new spouse.

Jesus was pretty clear that divorce isn't something we should ever sue for.

Right, yet most looks at that very & says, I do not have to forgive, God does not expect me to forgive my spouse, He is saying if this happens to my marriage I have every right under the sun to divorce,  I do not have to forgive, & I have not sinned.

Yet the only reason this is offered is because of mans hardness of heart. Besides, this verse is quite plain.

Mt 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

The husband & or wife that refuses to forgive places their self in a very bad position with God. Many of us fail this one, we love vengeance more than forgiveness.

• Moderators

Right, yet most looks at that very & says, I do not have to forgive, God does not expect me to forgive my spouse, He is saying if this happens to my marriage I have every right under the sun to divorce,  I do not have to forgive, & I have not sinned.

Yet the only reason this is offered is because of mans hardness of heart. Besides, this verse is quite plain.

Mt 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

The husband & or wife that refuses to forgive places their self in a very bad position with God. Many of us fail this one, we love vengeance more than forgiveness.

I agree: if reconciliation can be made, by all means, make it! Do not lightly put away a marriage, even one marred by failure and unfaithfulness, if it can be saved.

• Members

While I wholly agree with your second point, I respectfully disagree with the first one. There is no mention or direct reference to divorce in either passage in Timothy and Titus. Reading them in their clearest and most literal sense leans more toward polygamy than it does divorce and remarriage. You have to import your assumptions into the passage to get it to say anything about divorce at all. Like I said in my previous post, if you demand that this passage prohibits a divorced man then you must also demand that single men and widowers are disqualified as well because they do not have one wife. That would mean if the Lord calls your wife home first you would have to step down from your pastorate.

If a man is divorce & remarried in this sight of God he has two wife's, the divorced person can only marry if his wife or husband has died.

Ro 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Ro 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. 

• Members

Then I don't see how he ruled well his own house. I believe 1 Tim 3:4-5, 12 speak to your objection. I would love to be a pastor but, I'm divorced and therefore I did not rule my own house well. So, I'm relegated to serve in my local church in other capacities. I certainly don't find any fault in God's word but, in my flesh. It was my shortcomings which limited my usefulness within the polity of the church. I could be an evangelist, I see no limitation from scripture for that.  

I highly compliment you, so many take the stand that a divorce man cannot be pastor, yet if divorce visits their house & they remarry they change their view on this.

There is many ways for everyone to serve our Lord, yet all of us need to do so under His terms, not ours.

• Members

If a man is divorce & remarried in this sight of God he has two wife's, the divorced person can only marry if his wife or husband has died.

Ro 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Ro 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. 

Yes, but you've missed the larger point. The overly strict literalness of your interpretation demands that if a remarried man is disqualified because he has two wives and not one then a bachelor and a widower would similarly be disqualified because they have zero wives and not one. Your interpreation also leaves open the possibility of a divorced man who is not remarried and thus still has only one wife.

• Members

Yes, but you've missed the larger point. The overly strict literalness of your interpretation demands that if a remarried man is disqualified because he has two wives and not one then a bachelor and a widower would similarly be disqualified because they have zero wives and not one. Your interpreation also leaves open the possibility of a divorced man who is not remarried and thus still has only one wife.

No, that's your interpretation, not mine.

• Members

Thats easy to say if you've not been there. I was prepared to forgive, but she took a ring from another man, and she initiated the divorce and she chose to live three years with another man as his wife.

NO, You do not have to have been there to understand God, in fact understanding God will keep you from going there. And we are to:

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Study God's Word so that we can trust & obey, if we can't divide the Word of the truth, its very difficult to trust & obey.

Seems your trying to make excuses because I try to hold close to what God's Word tells ALL of us.

• Members

No, that's your interpretation, not mine.

Then on what grounds can you read "a bishop then must be...the husband of one wife" and claim a divorced man is disqualified while a single man or widower is not when they have the same number of wives?

• Members

I have no dog in this fight but wow, sounds like allot of "what ifs". I recommend taking the time to study the verses in context using proper grammar and you will understand what God is saying. This confusion ain't it.

And what of the other quals to be a pastor folks? The wife deal is just one but the only one that the courthouse gives you a paper to prove I suppose.

If you think that certificate from the courthouse means much to God you are mistaken there too. God's original marriage indicator was sex. You milk it you bought it. Why do you think Solomon had so many wives (dowries) and concubines (poor-no dowries).

I suspect there are allot of pastors with more than one wife in God's eyes and that is all that matters my friend. I think this is why fornication is mentioned so often by God because sex without commitment spits in His face and His perfect plan of marriage. If you liked her enough to have sex with her, you were supposed to take her as wife

Wonder how many "self proclaimed qualified" pastors had some non committal sex before or after they got saved but before they got married or "called" to preach. Again, this isn't saying they aren't qualified, it is saying they misinterpret the quals and think they can somehow fool God because they only have one certificate.

• Members

I have no dog in this fight but wow, sounds like allot of "what ifs". I recommend taking the time to study the verses in context using proper grammar and you will understand what God is saying. This confusion ain't it.

And what of the other quals to be a pastor folks? The wife deal is just one but the only one that the courthouse gives you a paper to prove I suppose.

If you think that certificate from the courthouse means much to God you are mistaken there too. God's original marriage indicator was sex. You milk it you bought it. Why do you think Solomon had so many wives (dowries) and concubines (poor-no dowries).

I suspect there are allot of pastors with more than one wife in God's eyes and that is all that matters my friend. I think this is why fornication is mentioned so often by God because sex without commitment spits in His face and His perfect plan of marriage. If you liked her enough to have sex with her, you were supposed to take her as wife

Wonder how many "self proclaimed qualified" pastors had some non committal sex before or after they got saved but before they got married or "called" to preach. Again, this isn't saying they aren't qualified, it is saying they misinterpret the quals and think they can somehow fool God because they only have one certificate.

This is, in part, the essence of my original point (post #68).

• Members

An interesting discussion, but mostly I see those that have been affected by divorce interpret the Scriptures one way, while those who have not been divorced see it another way.  Hmmm.  Could be we interpret scripture according to OUR life and the events of it, instead of taking it as it is written.  Let's address some issues:

1. "Must be The husband of one wife" is a condition, not a command; Though "must" is usually a command, it does not have to be, instead it can be a crteria for qualification.

2. God has many, many reasons to divorce us, but He never will, and He would like us to be like Him (Christ);

3. 1 Tim. 3:2, and Titus 1:7,  and the word "blameless" implies that he should not have a scandalous reputation--that is all!  Of course, when the Lord wrote it, He knew better than we do that none of us are blameless in the sense of sinning.  If it meant that--there could be no pastors anyway!  This too is a qualification, but it is also a command. 

4. Divorced before saved?  The "sin" of divorce is forgiven, not necessarily the act.  A divorce cannot be "erased", and has certain repercussions that would, or could, affect a ministry.

Again, no man, pastor or otherwise, is completely "blameless" concerning sin.  Who do you think you are if you pastor a church and consider the "blamelessness" to be without sin?  No one could ever be a pastor or "bishop" if that were so.  A pastor should be beyond reproach (by society) and beyond question by his congregation.

(Edited: Forgot to address the fourth issue!)

Archived