• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Divorced Man Become A Deacon, Pastor Or A Preacher?

The Glory Land

• Members

I have no problem with a divorced man being a pastor though it depends on the circumstances I suppose. I know some really good pastors who were divorced and remarried before they were saved and a couple after they were saved. The ones after salvation usually had to do with a woman who wanted nothing to do with God and the ministry or were unfaithful and left their husband and in some cases may not have been saved herself. ]

As far as I'm concerned "the husband of one wife" has to do with polygamy.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just my 2 cents worth, When God calls a man to be a pastor, God knows if that man has been, is, or will be divorced. Why would He call a man to be a pastor, just to disqualify him. This verse is only used (by people) to disqualify a divorced man, it is not used to disqualify an unmarried man, or a man who does not have children, or who does not have control over his children. As I said, just my 2 cents worth.

Why would God create Adam and Eve knowing they would bring sin into the world?

• Members

Yes, but remember, an apostle is only called by Jesus during the time he was on this earth, with the exception of Jesus, & we have no apostles today.

Ac 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

And of course the verses I posted was qualifications for pastor, not apostle.

With the exception of one Apostle... the Apostle Paul.  His calling was later.  He was not an Apostle until Jesus had ascended to His Father in Heaven.

• Members

All this todo about preacher or pastor is silly.  Do they both do the same thing?

Are they both called to do the same thing?

The scripture is clear, but some wish to justify themselves, or others, and not make any waves, but why not take it literally, and play it safe?

What if it does mean one wife in your lifetime?  Then when you say it doesn't you take a big chance of being disobedient and rebelling against the Word.  I see this all the time, in many area.  Satan's greatest ploy may be "It doesn't mean that..." and then commencing to tell everyone the REAL meaning of it. (Just as He told Eve "Ye shall not surely die:" and caused her to question the veracity and commanment of God.  He's the same old devil that he was in the garden.)

Shame on us Baptists when we do that.

• Members

A divorced man cannot be a preacher or a deacon. A divorced-saved man can and should be a preacher.

I'm glad you posted that, I should have added something to my post, & I did not. Yes, he can be a preacher, he just can't be pastor of a New Testament Church.

I've got a friend that I have wondered about. He married a woman who had children prior to their marriage, & I don't know if they were out of wedlock or not. Their children, or should I say her children have gave them much trouble. Yet also his wife has gave him problems, & from time to time she did not support him as a pastor. Many time he went to church by himself, wife & children would not go. He has fell out of the ministry several times & been out of it a very long time this round.

I like the man quite a lot, & the last time he fell out I tried to help him, yet its hard to help someone who has a wife, children, who do not support him. Plus one son has been in & out of prison several times for stealing. This son happens to be the one I know, he is polite, friendly, & easy to talk with, but he cannot keep himself out of trouble.

At times I have thought the church that ordained him may have made a mistake. Now I say may have. With a person you care for you just can't help being concerned, wonder about, & pray for, because they have so much troubles. Several times they've gotten straitened out, yet it never seems to last long, & troubles comes right back. I may be wrong, but it seems as if the wife & children are the ones that brings on the troubles. Sad situation.

• Members

I have been married twice.  Have only one wife.  Have the papers to prove it.

I have no idea who has been married only one time, who has been divorced once, twice, or whatever, & it does not cahnge my mind nor change what the Bible teaches, the Bible teaches husband of one wife, period!

Of course if a man's wife has died he has only one living wife, yet if he is divorced once or even more & those wife's are living, them he is unqualified.

• Members

And what if it means one wife at a time?

Then, by saying "only one wife in a lifetime," you may be hindering (or even worse... preventing) God from using someone that God had intended to use in the pastoral position.

If it means one wife at  time, then all is well, but if it doesn't, then what?

I don't think we hinder a man God wants to use.  I have known of men who, for some reaon or another, were not accepted as preachers.  You know what they did?  They preached in the city, on the street.  Beside that, I don't know how to tell if a man is called except taking his word for it, and believe me, I have met many that I am convinced were self-called. 

One thing you may have overlooked is that God knows the future.  He knows if someone can or will hinder a man from being used that He wanted to use.

Adoniram Judson, Americas first foreign missionary, had a wife that tried to hinder him, but he went to Burma anyway, and preached the Gospel--he made a difference in the lives of many others.  Oh, and the missions board would not support his going, but he went.  I believe (to the best of my recollection) the same thing happened with Hudson Taylor when he set out for China, the mission "board" would not support him, but that call from God found a way.

OK. Chief... :) So you're saying anyone that is Saved can be a preacher and pastor. Why then so many don't agree with you?

I corrected my post made in haste TGL.

"A divorced man cannot be a pastor or a deacon. A divorced-saved man can and should be a preacher."

• Moderators

I corrected my post made in haste TGL.

"A divorced man cannot be a pastor or a deacon. A divorced-saved man can and should be a preacher."

If the issue at hand is 'husband of one wife', why can't a divorced man be a pastor? If he has only been married once,( and if it can't mean one wife at a time), then what does it matter if he is divorced, as long as he isn't re-married? The Bible nowhere says a divorced man can't be a pastor-that is something we read into the passage, but is nowhere present. Otherwise, as has been mentioned before, a single man, never married, can't be pastor, nor can a man without children, or whose children have ever been unruly. Or has ever drank. Or that perhaps anyone can find any blame in. Find one pastor that no one can find blame in.

• Members

When Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well, He didn't tell her thou hast has five husbands, but thou hast had five husbands. Once a letter of divorce is made, there is no more husband/wife.

I Think everybody just ignored your statement here! I might add it is a very valid one, thanks for posting it.

Archived