• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

U.S. debt ceiling

U.S. debt ceiling.  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What should the U.S. do?

• Raise the Debt Ceiling
    • Lower Spending
    • Combination of 1 and 2
    • Other - Please Expalin

• Members

It's interesting that President Clinton came to office because he came across as a different sort of Democrat who would be fiscally more conservative and not be identified with 'tax and spend'. In this sense, his economic ideas and reputation in 1992 resonated more deeply with Americans than those of President Bush Senior, who despite military success in the Gulf region, did not manage to connect with the electorate.

Perhaps you should do much more research, and not just seeing what the liberal media has had to say, before you delve into American politics.

• Members

Perhaps you should do much more research, and not just seeing what the liberal media has had to say, before you delve into American politics.

I thought it was the electorate in 1992 that wasn't impressed with President Bush Senior's economic ideas, and not just the liberal media. (I actually seem to like Mr Bush Senior rather a lot! but the 1992 run didn't seem to go nearly as well for him as his 1988 one.)

• Members

There's a great new SOLUTION to the problems this side of the pond - it's called "work experience," meaning getting graduates & other youngsters to work for nothing, just to gain experience in the hope of job with some other company.

The result is that our youngsters have no hope of a normal independent life - marriage, home, family, etc. Whatever happened to the labourer is worthy of his hire.

Anyone with savings now gets zero interest, though we all know that the interest still accrues, but is paid direct to the bankers as bonuses.

• Members

There's a great new SOLUTION to the problems this side of the pond - it's called "work experience," meaning getting graduates & other youngsters to work for nothing, just to gain experience in the hope of job with some other company.

The result is that our youngsters have no hope of a normal independent life - marriage, home, family, etc. Whatever happened to the labourer is worthy of his hire.

Anyone with savings now gets zero interest, though we all know that the interest still accrues, but is paid direct to the bankers as bonuses.

Minimum wage laws in this country have caused most of the jobs the young and inexperienced used to perform to disappear. People and companies can't afford to hire these workers for so much per hour. Prior to minimum wage laws, the young and inexperienced gained valuable job skills and experience by working for low wages, most often part time and often for a variety of people or businesses. By the time they were ready for full employment, they were ready and able to provide a full days work for a full days pay. This is no longer an option.

• Members

Minimum wage laws in this country have caused most of the jobs the young and inexperienced used to perform to disappear. People and companies can't afford to hire these workers for so much per hour. Prior to minimum wage laws, the young and inexperienced gained valuable job skills and experience by working for low wages, most often part time and often for a variety of people or businesses. By the time they were ready for full employment, they were ready and able to provide a full days work for a full days pay. This is no longer an option.

Where youngsters - & older folk - are paid, it's cash-in-hand & less than the minimum. If they complain they lose what they were getting. In some places in Southall, I can stop my Land Rover & unemployed immigrants converge on me hoping for a days work.

It's sad that employment protection laws have had the result of jobs being "exported" to where cheap labour is exploited. The low prices we enjoy are the result of virtual slave labour.

• Administrators

John, don't forget all those jobs that are going to illegals, too. Companies that hire illegals get away with not having to pay employee tax, workman's comp, unemployment insurance, etc., because they can pay under the table. And they pay less wage to the worker, as well, since the worker is undocumented...but the worker is better off even getting less wage, because no taxes are taken out...

As to the Bush 41's loss of a re-election: people voted for him in '92 thinking he would be an extension of RReagan, due to his being Veep. Problem is, anyone who knew anything about 41 knew he was not of the same mindset in many ways. And then his infamous, "Read my lips: no new taxes" pledge went down the drain with new taxes...New tax being put on the American people is a harbinger of economic trouble because when people are bringing home less money due to taxation, they have less to spend, thus causing sales to decrease, thus creating news of lack of consumer confidence, thus causing even more people to spend less, etc., etc. And then there is a slow-down in the economy. One on which BC jumped with great success. That, plus the fact that BC is much more charismatic than 41 could ever be contributed to 41's loss. BC is the type of person that wants to be liked. And so, campaigning is his cup of tea. He's very gregarious (as well as immoral), and knows how to make people feel like he's connecting with them. 41 was not like that, and still isn't. Sadly, POTUS campaigns are more about how the person is perceived, and what that person can "give to me" than about whether they will follow the Constitution or not.

• Administrators

Rep. Grimm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCsp5IXi62Y&feature=player_embedded#at=79

I've never heard him before. He's right on a lot, but I do not agree that we should add a balanced budget amendment. I don't believe it's necessary. Rather, I think constituents need to light fires (figuratively, okay?) under their reps and senators to get them doing what they ought.