• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ephesians

John81

• Members

Ephesians 4:30-32 (King James Version)

30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

31Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

32And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

• Members

:allears:

These verses pretty much speak for themselves...We are not to allow bitterness, wrath, etc., to fester in our hearts, but are rather to be kind and forgive as God has forgiven us.

Are you wanting to start a discussion on the meaning of forgiveness? (We forgive others only when asked to do so...vs. forgiving whether we're asked to or not?)

• Members

These verses just jumped out at me when I read them the other day as I was studying the Psalms (the Ephesians verses were cross referenced with a Psalm). I thought I would put them forth and see if anyone might wish to comment, share some personal experience, expound upon, or anything.

It seems often we get caught up in any conversation or topic other than Scripture centered ones so I thought I would post some Scripture.

I would love to see more scripture posts and questions for us to get into. Is seems many times they are ignored for the juicer world news.

• Members

I would love to see more scripture posts and questions for us to get into. Is seems many times they are ignored for the juicer world news.

That was what I was getting at. Awhile back I made some posts from Scripture but they were basically passed over.

I actually had to practice some aspects of this post tonight. My son and I went to buy some car parts and it was late by the time we were finished so we decided to stop at McDonalds and get a couple chicken sandwhiches. As I was going to get my drink a guy stepped in front of me, added ice to a cup, then ran some soda into it (all the time blocking the ice machine), then put some ice into another cup, then dumped his entire drink down the drain and put ice back into that cup, then continued standing blocking the ice machine as he put a little soda in one cup, then a little in the other, then tapped a cube or two of ice from the machine, then a little more soda, etc.

My flesh REALLY wanted to say something to this guy and I actually felt my heartbeat pick up and realized my body was beginning to go into what they call "fight or flight" mode. I looked out the window and silently began to pray. My heartbeat returned to normal, I was no longer annoyed, no longer wanting to tell him a few things, and I had peace as I patiently waited for him to finally finish whatever it is he was actually doing.

All praise and thanks to God for that because I know a number of years ago words would have shot from my mouth at him like daggers.

• Members

Over the years I've encountered several different "types" of Christians. One views Scripture as "too simplistic". They rarely accept Scripture on it's own as being enough. They demand drawn out explanations and if they have "what if's..." and "but..." exceptions then they believe each of those must be addressed separately. The clear Scritpural statement, such as "thou shalt not commit adultery" just isn't enough for them.

There are also those who think much of Scripture isn't valid for us today...or that much of Scripture was based upon culture so the "cultural aspects" can all be ignored (such as the bigotted "cultural aspect" that homosexuality is a sin)...there are those who fail to accept that Christians are called to a higher standard, set forth in the New Testament, and are always looking for "loopholes" in the Old Testament to excuse them not following New Testament teaching.

• Members

Over the years I've encountered several different "types" of Christians. One views Scripture as "too simplistic". They rarely accept Scripture on it's own as being enough. They demand drawn out explanations and if they have "what if's..." and "but..." exceptions then they believe each of those must be addressed separately. The clear Scritpural statement, such as "thou shalt not commit adultery" just isn't enough for them.

There are also those who think much of Scripture isn't valid for us today...or that much of Scripture was based upon culture so the "cultural aspects" can all be ignored (such as the bigotted "cultural aspect" that homosexuality is a sin)...there are those who fail to accept that Christians are called to a higher standard, set forth in the New Testament, and are always looking for "loopholes" in the Old Testament to excuse them not following New Testament teaching.

Praise God that it says what it means and means what it says!!

• Members

Most are searching for loopholes so that they can do as they please, instead of doing as God pleases them to do. And lots of people are doing as they please never thinking of God.

Most people do not want things done properly, they want everything in their favor.

• Members

Most are searching for loopholes so that they can do as they please, instead of doing as God pleases them to do. And lots of people are doing as they please never thinking of God.

Most people do not want things done properly, they want everything in their favor.

Unfortunately, that's so true.

Rather than looking to follow Christ fully, most professing Christians are looking for ways to do as they please why still calling themselves a Christian.

How many professing Christians justify drinking booze? Attending perverse, violent and profane movies? Listening to worldy music? Attending worldly dances, night clubs and bars? Allowing their children to do what they want with regards to church and "religion"? Engaging in fornication and adultery using various excuses? Etc.

Scripture says we are to die to self and live for Christ. We are to grow in Christlikeness, not continue on in worldliness and in our flesh.

• Members

That is true, Many try to eplain the following away:

Ephesians 1:1 ¶ Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 ¶ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Edited by Invicta