• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

O.T. is talking about you and me

• Members

The Old Testament refers to “gentiles” 30 times. The first reference is in Genesis 10:5 and the last reference is in Malachi 1:11. Of these 30 times gentiles are referred to in Isaiah 15 times. There is a lot of information we can gather about we gentiles from the O.T.

What exactly does Isaiah 61:9 mean by “And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed.”

Maybe the redeemed Jews and Gentiles? I have not consulted any commentary yet.

• Members

The word is Heb "gowy" & is variously translated : AV — nation 374, heathen 143, Gentiles 30, people 11. See Blue Letter Bible.

Note that the word is used in the promise to Abraham:
Gen 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation1471, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great ; and thou shalt be a blessing:

Gen 17:4 As for me, behold, my covenant [is] with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations1471.

Gen 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation1471, and all the nations1471 of the earth shall be blessed in him?

Gen 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations1471 of the earth be blessed ; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Isaiah 61 is a wonderful Gospel passage, selected by the Lord Jesus when he visited teh Nazareth synagogue.

How 1471 is translated depends on the context. "Heathen" are not necessarily pagan, although it is normally used in a pejorative sense. e.g.

Psa 98:1 ¶ [[A Psalm.]] O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
2 The LORD hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.
3 He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

• Members

The Old Testament refers to “gentiles” 30 times. The first reference is in Genesis 10:5 and the last reference is in Malachi 1:11. Of these 30 times gentiles are referred to in Isaiah 15 times. There is a lot of information we can gather about we gentiles from the O.T.

What exactly does Isaiah 61:9 mean by “And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed.”

Maybe the redeemed Jews and Gentiles? I have not consulted any commentary yet.

This "seed" may actually be a reference to born again Christians (i.e. the church) that shall dwell among the Jews and Gentiles during the Millennium.

So you have "the seed" which is the church.

You have the Gentiles.

And you have "the people" (i.e. the nation of Israel).