• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Would your church do this?

JerryNumbers

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would your church allow a man that is shacked up with a woman to help take up the offering??

• Yes
    • No

• Members

Last week Linda hollered at me, come and tell me who is helping take up the offering at the 1st Baptist Church. They air thier services on a local TV station during the week and linda had come up on it.

I said, "That's our ex-son-in-law."

She says, "You mean they would have him doing this?"

Now, the reason she asked this question is because after he and our daughter divorced he has fathered a child and is shacked up with this child's mother.

Makes me wonder how many other churches out there would allow this, i would say by having him take up the offering means this church approves of this and being a member of this church while living in such a sinful situation.

• Members

I believe I mentioned this recently, there is a church in our area that a man is attending that is separated from his wife living with a woman while teaching Sunday School.

And a few years back in another church a young unmarried woman with child was teaching the young girls Sunday school class. I know for sure that at least 3 girls out of that class had babies without marriage. I might add, two of the girls mother has since claimed to be a lesbian in a relationship, and still regularly attends churches services.

I do wonder how many churches its being done in. It seems accepting sins of members is common practice of many churches while its growing at a fast rate. Perhaps most churches fear losing members if they do what is right.

• Moderators

I don't think so, but we don't take up an offering. :icon_mrgreen: (We use a box on the foyer table.)

Such a person should be under church discipline (if a member), and if not a member, shouldn't be serving in 'noticeable' areas - lest others assume they hold a position of leadership in the church.

• Members

I don't think so, but we don't take up an offering. :icon_mrgreen: (We use a box on the foyer table.)

Such a person should be under church discipline (if a member), and if not a member, shouldn't be serving in 'noticeable' areas - lest others assume they hold a position of leadership in the church.

Absolutely.

Such a man would not be allowed any role in our church.

We also do not take up an offering, but have a box by each of the exits, marked "The Lord's Treasury." The boxes, that is, not the exits.

When we first started that, people said we would not get as much in the offering, in fact the offering increased.

• Members

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue, seems everyone so far feel just as I do. So sad of the acceptance that has creped into many churches.

It's a sad thing to see, but many churches today are man-centered (woman-centered might be more to the point for some!) rather than Christ-centered. They hold to so many liberal aspects on social issues and incorporate them in their churches. Everything from allowing women to run the church to having homosexual pastors. With their "social gospel" it's wrong to "look down upon anyone" and it's always good to validate and uplift those who are different, even to the point of allowing the openly sexually immoral to serve openly in the church, whether passing a collection plate or leading a youth group...or even being pastor!

There are some churches where one has to wonder where the men are. It seems the women and children dominate the church. Youth and women's programs get most of the attention. The youth programs are filled with "fun" and "entertainment" and are often given a chunk of service time to "perform". The sermons, music and special events are all women or youth centered. Is it any wonder real men are not drawn to such churches and these churches become social clubs for women and "their kids"?

How many churches today forsake the preaching of the Word and serious time in prayer for the sake of having a fast flowing, fun and energetic service. From beginning to end the services are driven by upbeat music, prayer is either neglected or offered as a tidbit between songs, the sermon is no more than 10-15 minutes and is typically based upon the idea that "God wants you to be happy".