• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why all the apologizing and bowing?

John81

• Members

Why is it most pastors and Christians in general seem unable to present many biblical truths without making what seems like, or is, apology for the truth, and often spend more time bowing to the PC times in overboard explanations than they do in presenting biblical truth?

For example: Why can't the truth of Scripture be proclaimed regarding chastity, purity, sex only within marriage, marriage for life, raising children according to the Word and similar topics without long, distracting and often apologetic speeches attached in an attempt not to offend anyone?

Why do so many Christains feel the need when discussing such topics to lift up single moms as if they are mighty heroes? Nothing wrong with pointing out that if a woman finds herself as a single mom that the Lord is just as willing to forgive them, accept them in Christ and lead them henceforth as anyone else...but why declare the liberal PC mantra that single moms are amazing heroes taking on the world and sacrificing their lives for the sake of their children, that they are exceptional parents because they take on the roll of mom and dad, their heroic efforts are something we all could learn from, etc.?

No doubt there are some single moms who are single moms for reasons outside their control. Some of these indeed are very good moms doing what they can to rightly provide for and raise their children. Even so, these are rather few and no reason to hold up single mothers as heroes.

I've heard sermons on this topic where only a few minutes is given to what the Word says and the preacher goes on to spend the next half hour or longer telling stories of "heroic" single moms.

Why are so many pastors and Christians in general caught up in this?

I only used the "single mom" issue as an example so it's not about that. We could easily also look at the way the topic of homosexuality or some other topics are handled today. It seems there is little real time given to what the Word says while much time is devoted to trying to convince the world that they really shouldn't take our biblical statements too hard because we're really a bunch of wonderful people who just adore single moms, homosexuals and others and we'll spend a great deal of time telling great stories about them in order to prove our point so by the time we're finished speaking folks have forgotten the tiny biblical message at the beginning and only remember that single moms are heroes and homosexuals are great, productive members of our society that are really just wonderful human beings.

What happened to proclaiming the Word of God in the power of the Holy Ghost and allowing that conviction to work in the hearts of the hearers? Why so much concern and worry about "offending" folks when the Word itself declares it's offensive to many? That's actually a part of the conviction and yet so many Christians work hard to squelch that conviction.

There seems to be too much apologizing, too many nonbiblical or unbiblical stories, to much bowing to politcal correctness, to much worry about offending the lost and the enemies of Christianity, and far too little preaching and proclaiming of the Word in all its unwatered down power.

• Members

Romans 8:5-9 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

• Members

Scripture always has the answer and clearly put without fear of giving offense!

It's little wonder our churches are weak, we are not seeing revival and society continues its headlong rush into wickedness when our pastors and other Christian leaders view the Word as so offensive that they must apologize for it or try to sugar coat the Word.

No wonder the "social gospel" is so popular among many professing Christians, even some within the so-called conservative evangelical churches and fundamentalist churches. The "social gospel" says that all is needed is to work to meet the social needs of people and then maybe someday when their social condition is improved enough they will come to church or maybe then it might be okay to invite them to church. No preaching the Gospel or evangelizing though because it's not right to do that with people who have unmet social needs.

Many books on the shelves of "Christian" bookstores are filled with this sort of unbiblical drivel or are influenced by it. Professing Christians are making many "Christian" authors rich buying up all their books. These books are often used to preach from, as the main book used in a "Bible study", as Sunday school books, etc. More and more the Bible is being pushed aside for books of men.

• Administrators

I think the big problem is that, while we are to have compassion (and I think many people do not!), compassion trumps truth in many instances.

Psalm 85:10 says: "Mercy and truth are met together ..." Mercy is vital. But it cannot be separated from truth.

• Members

My father and mother were married before I was considered and I have two older sisters. My father was not a Christian and my mother most likely wasn't living for the Lord. I don't know my father's past with relation to worship of God. I know his mother was an alcoholic and died from it. I know my mother was brought up in the traditions of the Baptists. My grandmother was Baptist and had lost her husband to an automobile accident when they were both in there 40s. My grandmother raised six children without my grandfather. She purchased a farm with a down payment from years of selling eggs, chickens, or what ever else she could make some honest money from. She also had some meager royalties from oil wells. She taught Sunday school in W.Va. before buying the farm in Ohio. In Ohio she also taught Sunday school at a nearby country Baptist Church. She was a God honoring lady and I have the utmost respect for her. I know she is with the Savior today.

My father left us, abandoned us is a better word. I was born soon after he left. My mother was alone to care for 3 children and did so to the best of her abilities, she never remarried. Although we existed on available welfare and the kindness of relatives living near to us, that was not much. We were poor, very poor, and we knew it. We moved from rental house to rental house as my mother attempted to position us where she could best provide for us. I remember the Christmas we received a basket of fruit and nuts at our door courtesy of the Lions-Legion Auxiliary; I knew what that meant. Those rental houses were our homes because my mother made them homes for us. We had no car so, distance to school, groceries, and her forthcoming job had to be considered.

Although, it was not with our family’s tradition, we attended a Church of Christ within site of our house. I recall many good times there on Sundays. I still remember my mother reading the Children’s Bible to my oldest sister and I while we huddled close on the couch at home. My older sister eloped with a young man and they had left for the Air Force very soon after she turned 16; so, it was mostly just the 4 of us; my mother, grandmother, sister, and I. The sister remaining at home was (is) a year and 10 months older than me; I was 5-8 years of age during this time.

My grandmother came tostay with us while my mother trained to be a nurse’s aid and remained for several years. One of my uncles had purchased the farm from Grandma. My grandmother remained with us for several years. My mother didn't believe in existing on welfare, so the training, for gainful employment. After she became a nurses aid she walked to and from work; sometimes, she was able to catch rides with co-workers during the very worst winter weather. But, compassion isn’t always 100% reliable, especially, when she was on opposite shifts from those who gave her rides. I remember days she left the house, scarf on her head, bundled with sweaters and coat, and boots with the snow blowing nearly horizontal. Off she would trudge over un-kept sidewalks (where there were sidewalks), she had one hill she had to climb, to get to her job.

I have no idea what act of cruelty or meanness was rendered to my mother but, I recall one day when it became too much for her. I remember my mother's sobbing and tears from the "loving kindness" of the folks in the small town where I was raised. I remember her saying through the sobbing, no one in this town likes me. A small town is a wonderful place for children but, there are many who look down their noses at the poor. Sideways glances, from cars passing as my mother returned from the grocery carrying a sack of groceries. Subtle whispers meant to be heard between folks when my mother passed by.

The one thing that left the deepest impression on me during those years was a pair of shoes. My mother had to wear white shoes as a nurse’s aid; they were probably her most expensive wardrobe item besides uniforms. It was Christmas and I never expected much in the way of gifts. Christmas morning I was amazed to see a most wonderful gift; a multi-level track with little wind up cars. I played with it for hours and as I got down on the floor and peered through between the top and lower level, I saw them. There beside the heating stove, where they always were, Mom’s work shoes awaited another day. These shoes, old white shoes, more polish than leather, lopsided from years of over use, worn soles; paid the price for my joy this Christmas. I know that I wept and I thanked my mother and told her she needed new shoes.

I wonder what condition the Savior’s sandals were in; were they old, lopsided, worn? They carried Him toward the sacrifice He made for us so that we could have joy, not just at Christmas but, eternally. I give God the praise for those shoes and those sandals.

• Members

We must reject the mantra "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." There is no suggestion in Scripture that God loves unrepentant sinners.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

It could be that the John 8 incident was cut out of the Bible early on because some were misusing it - adulterers are forgiven - adultery is OK. They major on forgiveness & forget repentance.

How many then make a pretence of conversion in order to get the benefit of Christian charity - & produce another child.

Sinners are not living in the love of God & then suddenly feel the wrath of God at death, as if God changes from love to hate at the moment of death. They are living in the wrath of God.

Edited by Covenanter

• Administrators

My father and mother were married before I was considered and I have two older sisters. My father was not a Christian and my mother most likely wasn't living for the Lord. I don't know my father's past with relation to worship of God. I know his mother was an alcoholic and died from it. I know my mother was brought up in the traditions of the Baptists. My grandmother was Baptist and had lost her husband to an automobile accident when they were both in there 40s. My grandmother raised six children without my grandfather. She purchased a farm with a down payment from years of selling eggs, chickens, or what ever else she could make some honest money from. She also had some meager royalties from oil wells. She taught Sunday school in W.Va. before buying the farm in Ohio. In Ohio she also taught Sunday school at a nearby country Baptist Church. She was a God honoring lady and I have the utmost respect for her. I know she is with the Savior today.

My father left us, abandoned us is a better word. I was born soon after he left. My mother was alone to care for 3 children and did so to the best of her abilities, she never remarried. Although we existed on available welfare and the kindness of relatives living near to us, that was not much. We were poor, very poor, and we knew it. We moved from rental house to rental house as my mother attempted to position us where she could best provide for us. I remember the Christmas we received a basket of fruit and nuts at our door courtesy of the Lions-Legion Auxiliary; I knew what that meant. Those rental houses were our homes because my mother made them homes for us. We had no car so, distance to school, groceries, and her forthcoming job had to be considered.

Although, it was not with our family’s tradition, we attended a Church of Christ within site of our house. I recall many good times there on Sundays. I still remember my mother reading the Children’s Bible to my oldest sister and I while we huddled close on the couch at home. My older sister eloped with a young man and they had left for the Air Force very soon after she turned 16; so, it was mostly just the 4 of us; my mother, grandmother, sister, and I. The sister remaining at home was (is) a year and 10 months older than me; I was 5-8 years of age during this time.

My grandmother came tostay with us while my mother trained to be a nurse’s aid and remained for several years. One of my uncles had purchased the farm from Grandma. My grandmother remained with us for several years. My mother didn't believe in existing on welfare, so the training, for gainful employment. After she became a nurses aid she walked to and from work; sometimes, she was able to catch rides with co-workers during the very worst winter weather. But, compassion isn’t always 100% reliable, especially, when she was on opposite shifts from those who gave her rides. I remember days she left the house, scarf on her head, bundled with sweaters and coat, and boots with the snow blowing nearly horizontal. Off she would trudge over un-kept sidewalks (where there were sidewalks), she had one hill she had to climb, to get to her job.

I have no idea what act of cruelty or meanness was rendered to my mother but, I recall one day when it became too much for her. I remember my mother's sobbing and tears from the "loving kindness" of the folks in the small town where I was raised. I remember her saying through the sobbing, no one in this town likes me. A small town is a wonderful place for children but, there are many who look down their noses at the poor. Sideways glances, from cars passing as my mother returned from the grocery carrying a sack of groceries. Subtle whispers meant to be heard between folks when my mother passed by.

The one thing that left the deepest impression on me during those years was a pair of shoes. My mother had to wear white shoes as a nurse’s aid; they were probably her most expensive wardrobe item besides uniforms. It was Christmas and I never expected much in the way of gifts. Christmas morning I was amazed to see a most wonderful gift; a multi-level track with little wind up cars. I played with it for hours and as I got down on the floor and peered through between the top and lower level, I saw them. There beside the heating stove, where they always were, Mom’s work shoes awaited another day. These shoes, old white shoes, more polish than leather, lopsided from years of over use, worn soles; paid the price for my joy this Christmas. I know that I wept and I thanked my mother and told her she needed new shoes.

I wonder what condition the Savior’s sandals were in; were they old, lopsided, worn? They carried Him toward the sacrifice He made for us so that we could have joy, not just at Christmas but, eternally. I give God the praise for those shoes and those sandals.

Dave, what a beautiful tribute to your mother! My mother was also a single mother of 4 after our father abandoned us. My mom was saved as a youngster, but never taught anything. She married an (as far as we know) unsaved man. After the divorce, she worked to provide a home (and it was a nice one!) and to send us to private school. We weren't rich by any stretch of the imagination. God provided in ways that we didn't even realize back then.

One day my mom mysteriously found a book written by a person who grew up with the occult -- it came just as she was being attracted to the occult. Can anyone say intervention by the Lord?

Later, she met and married my step-dad. And then a bus worker came to our house...just a mere couple of weeks after my mom was crying and begging God for help because this new marriage was fraught with problems.

Things weren't perfect after that, but I am so thankful for the mom God gave me, for her care for us. Words cannot express my love for her, my admiration and my respect. My mom and dad are, next to my hubby and son, my favorite people in all of the world.

• Members

We must reject the mantra "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." There is no suggestion in Scripture that God loves unrepentant sinners.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

It could be that the John 8 incident was cut out of the Bible early on because some were misusing it - adulterers are forgiven - adultery is OK. They major on forgiveness & forget repentance.

How many then make a pretence of conversion in order to get the benefit of Christian charity - & produce another child.

Sinners are not living in the love of God & then suddenly feel the wrath of God at death, as if God changes from love to hate at the moment of death. They are living in the wrath of God.

For what it's worth, I like this response. I too have thought that we tend to separate the sin from the sinner too often; God judged the sinner, and although He loves the world, He hates evil and the evil cannot be separated from the sinner but by the blood of Christ. We must be careful not to call evil good, and good evil.

Now, back to the subject at hand; one might also ask, along with the original post, why every time we post some truth it is challenged! This may be one reason we are so apologetic when we post something. Those who challenge us, especially without scriptural grounds to do so, often use name-calling and other tactics to make their point. How often have we challenged someone as if they had never read the Bible, or tried to make them appear to be stupid when it comes to biblical common sense? perhaps the apologies are expected by the attackers, and we must bow to their whims so that we can have a voice in the matter.

• Members

Yes, a very big problem. If folks actually studied the Word they would see that John 8 isn't an overlooking of sin, as many proclaim to one extent or another. The fact is those who brought the woman, who was supposedly caught in the act, to Jesus in an attempt to entrap Him. The law of Moses commanded that both the man and woman who committed adultery were to be punished but those who brought the woman to Jesus didn't bring the man along. They themselves were violating the law of Moses. This is actually the foundational aspect of John 8. Jesus followed the law of Moses regarding the woman because without accusers (they all left) she couldn't rightly be punished and Jesus admonished her to sin no more. There was no overlooking the sin and there was no putting aside of the rules regarding sin. Jesus followed the law of Moses as required at that time.

Christians today have so overfocused upon "love", and often this is much more of the worldly version of love than scriptural, that most or even all aspects of justice and righteousness have been left in the dust. A very unbalanced view of God is being put forth and it's unbiblical.

• Members

Dave, what a beautiful tribute to your mother! My mother was also a single mother of 4 after our father abandoned us. My mom was saved as a youngster, but never taught anything. She married an (as far as we know) unsaved man. After the divorce, she worked to provide a home (and it was a nice one!) and to send us to private school. We weren't rich by any stretch of the imagination. God provided in ways that we didn't even realize back then.

One day my mom mysteriously found a book written by a person who grew up with the occult -- it came just as she was being attracted to the occult. Can anyone say intervention by the Lord?

Later, she met and married my step-dad. And then a bus worker came to our house...just a mere couple of weeks after my mom was crying and begging God for help because this new marriage was fraught with problems.

Things weren't perfect after that, but I am so thankful for the mom God gave me, for her care for us. Words cannot express my love for her, my admiration and my respect. My mom and dad are, next to my hubby and son, my favorite people in all of the world.

Thank you. There are two women who had marked impressions on my life, my grandmother and my mother. I don't need heros or heroines, I have Jesus Christ, my mother, and my grandmother. The sweetest words I hear these days are my mother's reply to scripture when I read to her...Amen son.

• Members

Wow! A pastor invited to give an opening prayer at some public gathering spent more time apologizing for being Christian and naming several false religions that he was clear to proclaim are fine, beneficial and worthy, than he did in actually giving his opening prayer which was so generic if nobody bothered to mention he was supposed to be a Christian no one would have realized.

• Members

For what it's worth, I like this response. I too have thought that we tend to separate the sin from the sinner too often; God judged the sinner, and although He loves the world, He hates evil and the evil cannot be separated from the sinner but by the blood of Christ. We must be careful not to call evil good, and good evil.

Now, back to the subject at hand; one might also ask, along with the original post, why every time we post some truth it is challenged! This may be one reason we are so apologetic when we post something. Those who challenge us, especially without scriptural grounds to do so, often use name-calling and other tactics to make their point. How often have we challenged someone as if they had never read the Bible, or tried to make them appear to be stupid when it comes to biblical common sense? perhaps the apologies are expected by the attackers, and we must bow to their whims so that we can have a voice in the matter.

So true. Yet not popular, today many of those attending church services wants the pastor to talk about sin, the sins of others, them pat them on them on the back telling them how good they are.

Recent funeral services, the man talked about God just a tiny bit, talked about the deceased lots, one would have thought Christ was in the coffin.

My my, at the number of times he stated how long this person had been a member of a church, about their love for church, their love in serving God, and the wonderful witness to their children and grandchildren, yet no one in the church had seen this person in many years, I'm talking about some people that's been a member of this church for more than 50 years did not even know who this person was.

Yet I've noticed those who speak like this at funerals are called to do many funerals, for it seems, even many professing Christians feels that at a funeral service is not a place to speak about Jesus, God, salvation, heaven, hell, lost, or saved, but about the person and how wonderful they are.

Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Sad to say, the same is true for many churches on Sunday mornings, evenings, or anytime they gather together. Most want their pat on the back, them their good until next Sunday morning.

• Members

One of the best things I heard a pastor say when I was babe in Christ is that when we listen to a sermon (and when we read the Bible) we should make sure we aren't thinking of how this applies to him or her or them, but rather think about how the Word being preached or read applies to us. I've kept that in mind ever since.

In some churches I've been to nearly every time the pastor mentions some sin I would either see someone point at another or elbowing the one they were sitting with and whisper "that's you".

Thanks to that pastor, I learned to look at myself to see if the sin mentioned was to be found in me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One of the best things I heard a pastor say when I was babe in Christ is that when we listen to a sermon (and when we read the Bible) we should make sure we aren't thinking of how this applies to him or her or them, but rather think about how the Word being preached or read applies to us. I've kept that in mind ever since.

In some churches I've been to nearly every time the pastor mentions some sin I would either see someone point at another or elbowing the one they were sitting with and whisper "that's you".

Thanks to that pastor, I learned to look at myself to see if the sin mentioned was to be found in me.

Yes John, that so true, yet many of today's Christians pat their self on the back at such times and says, "Look at how sinful they are," much like the Pharisee that prayed to himself and stated, "I'm glad I'm not like other men." Luke 18:11

I recall giving the morning devotional while being the Sunday School superintendent years ago, I made a comment, after saying it, I quickly added what I meant for I know it could have been taken in the wrong manner, even like that Pharisee of Luke 18.

Sometimes its hard to express that we are proud, thankful, we are for the salvation we have thanks only to God's grace without coming off wrong.