• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Geneva Bible

• Members

The Geneva Bible was the most popular English translation in England before the KJV. It was the first to use verses. It was also one of the translations used that the KJV derived much of its wording from. And it was the version we (colonies) used for a long time until things cooled down between the US and England. It took about 50 years for the KJV to replace the Geneva in England.

The main reason it was replaced was because of the biased margin notes (these weren't just translator notes or alternative words you find in the 1611 or MV's, they were paragraphs of peoples interpretation of scripture, mostly Puritan and Calvinistic in nature).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Geneva Bible messes up in Acts 12:4, but we discussed this in another thread. The first edition had it right, and then they messed it up and went to "Passover" instead.

Second edition was right. :D I've already proven that the author of Acts(Luke) was known for equating the entire feast of unleavened bread as being the Passover. And in the 17th century, Passover was known as "Easter" in the Christian church.

• Members

Second edition was right. :D I've already proven that the author of Acts(Luke) was known for equating the entire feast of unleavened bread as being the Passover. And in the 17th century, Passover was known as "Easter" in the Christian church.

You gave your opinions but you have proven nothing. :roll:

Chevvie '58 gave an excellent argument as to why "Easter", in the book of Acts has to be translated "Easter" and nothing else.

• Members

You gave your opinions but you have proven nothing. :roll:

Chevvie '58 gave an excellent argument as to why "Easter", in the book of Acts has to be translated "Easter" and nothing else.

Indeed I have. Luke stated in his Gospel that the feast of unleavened bread was known as "the Passover." Ergo, it is not unreasonable to believe that he was talking about Passover as opposed to Easter.

And as I stated, in the 17th Century and prior, "Passover" was known as "Easter" in the Church.

Indeed I have. Luke stated in his Gospel that the feast of unleavened bread was known as "the Passover." Ergo, it is not unreasonable to believe that he was talking about Passover as opposed to Easter.

And as I stated, in the 17th Century and prior, "Passover" was known as "Easter" in the Church.

And I profoundly, profusely and prolifically refuted your statements.