• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Golden Compass Movie FLOPS

• Members

Golden Compass Movie FLOPS
America rejects Pullman's agenda to undermine children's faith

Golden Compass Gets Demagnetized at the Box Office
"The Golden Compass, the first book in the series, which sighed its way into box offices last weekend. The film, which reportedly cost over $200 million to make, opened with only $26 million dollars..."

What looks like a fun movie was actually an atheist's attack on Christianity, spawning from a series of books. One of my son's friends has been reading the Pullman series, my son warned her about the author's anti-Christian views, but she laughed. Well a few days ago she called him, and said by the time she got into the second book she apologized and said she could tell my son was right, nothing but garbage! links below...

"The later books are even more direct in their religious criticism. One character, a former nun, says: "The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all." Pullman himself has said, "I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief..."
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... ligion.ap/

Snopes review shows the Pullman agenda clearly:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

• Members

It was #1 because there were no other movies newly released that weekend. The next most recent movie was 2 weeks old. Opening weekends attrack the opening weekend crowds--the people who will wait in line in order to say they've seen the movie before most everyone else. There were no other movies like that, so they all went to see that movie.

• Members

As for now, the secular crowd are looking more for just entertainment (what they define it as) and not the anti-Christian factor in the movie. A lot of secular critics say this movie is just average. So that's why it's not doing well.

• Members
As for now' date=' the secular crowd are looking more for just entertainment (what they define it as) and not the anti-Christian factor in the movie. A lot of secular critics say this movie is just average. So that's why it's not doing well.[/quote']

yeah, most people likes actions and magics as their form of entertainments.. they don't like documentary/drama-like movies --another word, lack of magic or exciting adventures.

I wonder if part of the reason this movie flopped is because of all the people on the internet that stood against it. At least I'd like to hope that's the reason. There were countless people who posted things on Facebook, Myspace, Xanga, Forwarded Emails, etc. to tell everyone NOT to go to this anti-God movie.

I don't think so although it did help.. But even MTV didn't care too much for it:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml

Well that's good that the critics didn't like it, but I saw some previews and if it wasn't for the bad story, it looked like it'd be a pretty cool movie (based on graphics, anyway). Even Vince thought the graphics looked neat even though he wouldn't watch it either. I'm surprised it turned out so bad, but I'm totally not complaining. :Green