• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repent and Believe…

TheGloryLand

• Members

The Word Repent for Salvation. I am noticing that there are Baptists leaving out the word Repentance. My question today is when you share the gospel for salvation for a new believer. Do you share that they also must repent or you just say, they have to simply believe. 

• Members

Both. The Bible teaches both.

Acts 20:21
Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20
But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

There are many today that either remove repentance from their preaching or redefine it to mean a change of mind in some way (for example, change your mind about what you are trusting in) - but not in regards to sin or turning from sin. YET there are multiple passages that clearly show when it comes to man, in the Bible repentance ALWAYS is associated with an inward turning from sin towards the Lord and ALWAYS results in a changed life (though many even refute that idea too).

1 Thessalonians 1:9
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Here’s an example:

Luke 13:1-5 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Many people during the tribulation period will be lost because they will not turn from their sins:

Revelation 9:20-21
And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Their unrepented sin kept them out of heaven:

Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Various other passages come to mind, but consider these:

Romans 1:28-32

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Galatians 5:19-21

Ephesians 5:3-7

1 Timothy 1:9-10

• Members

It’s not positive to them, so many do not like it. It’s easy to believe all you have to do is say a prayer and you are saved forever. Repentance challenges ypi to be personally accountable for your sins and to live differently. No repentance preachers often give the idea that you can be saved - but maybe never see a difference or ever have any good fruit - you can become more devoted to the Lord later IF you personally choose to do so, otherwise you are just fine as you are.

Just As I Was

Just as I was, I came to You;

You took my heart and made it new;

Transformed by Your grace - Lord, I love You.

Oh Jesus, my Saviour, I’m Yours, I’m Yours.

Not as I was - my sins are all gone;

I’m now adopted as your son;

For on the cross, it all was done.

Oh Heavenly Father, I’m saved, I’m saved.

Not as I was - in darkest night;

You opened my eyes and gave me sight;

Washed by Your blood, and changed by Your might.

Oh Lamb of God, I’m cleansed, I’m cleansed.

Now as I am - You’ve shown me Your way;

For when I bowed my head to pray,

You gave me new life that very day.

Lord, by Your Spirit, I’m changed, I’m changed.

November 19, 2023

Jerry Bouey and Angela Trenholm

https://songs-in-the-night.blogspot.com/2023/11/just-as-i-was-song.html

• Members

I struggle with this, because even all the verses posted above, don't say anything about repenting from sin.  It seems Baptist are split on this, but the one side tends to automatically associate repentance with sin.   But even in the old testament, God himself repents.  So repentence is clearly not just about sin.   Plus, imagine telling someone that God loves them, and that you are saved by grace and faith.  But wait, you're not actually saved by grace, you're saved by being able to magically stop sinning.   

If we could stop sinning, then Jesus died for literally nothing.   Repenting from sins is definitely part of the journey.  But for salvation? I don't see it in Scripture.   

But whenever I mention this, people post endless verses that have the word repent in it, but zero of them even mention the word sin, or repenting of sin for salvation. 

Repenting of your sins to be saved is clearly a works based salvation.   But once you're saved, sinning becomes so much easier to defeat.  But it's a process.   If you have to stop sinning to be saved, none of us on this forum is saved.