• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Supporting a loved one when they start losing it

• Members
Posted (edited)

All this news of Joe Biden starting to lose it,  made me think. When a loved one, friend, or even a preacher starts losing it. there’s Dementia or Alzheimer’s. It’s part of life that we all have to deal with someday. Lord give us strength. A smart and humble man knows when to step down. When and if he or she does, many times they are highly respected.  💫

Edited by TheGloryLand

• Members
41 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

All this news of Joe Biden starting to lose it,  made me think. When a loved one, friend, or even a preacher starts losing it. there’s Dementia or Alzheimer’s. It’s part of life that we all have to deal with someday. Lord give us strength. A smart and humble man knows when to step down. When and if he or she does, many times they are highly respected.  💫

I've dealt with Alzheimer's/Dementia in my family and my wife's relatives. For me, it was my maternal grandmother, her daughter,  my Aunt Janet, my maternal great grandmother, and my Aunt Florence. Many times, though they realize something isn't quite right, won't immediately face what is going head on. Instead they will implement certain coping mechanisms, many with great success. With my grandmother my wife and I moved from Augusta Georgia to Bloomington Indiana to help take care of her. My grandpa couldn't handle her, as she had become a danger to herself and others (she tried to kill my grandfather with a chef's knife, and Vivian and I with electricity), so the doctor suggested he commit her for observation. Taking care of her eventually became a source of contention between my grandfather and I, so we moved back home to Augusta. He had a stroke a year or so later. My great grandmother was in her early 90s when dementia presented itself. She passed away quickly. My two Aunts had always been active, but after being retired and on the move for 12 years, she started forgetting what to do, when to eat, etc.  Aunt Florence was in her 80s when it became clear that she was in decline she was placed in the same nursing home that my GG and grandmother had been in. She died a year after taking residence there in a fall from her bed. In all of these cases it took some learning how to handle those afflicted. 

Vivian's twin uncles both had "Sundowners" dementia. That was hard leading one uncle to suicide, and the second one to a divorce and death from pneumonia. They both were in the process of going to a nursing home. They both had a good chance at living a decent life through their declining days. There are lots of resources available on the Internet on treating people with this affliction. 

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

Even knowing how horrible of a man Joe Biden has been I still pity him. Alzheimer's is a terrible affliction.

It truly is. After having had so many immediate and extended family members afflicted with this and other closely related diseases, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, including President Biden. I pray for him daily and feel sorry for him since it's clear those around him don't seem to care enough to remove him from his current position.