• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Does It Really Matter Which Bible Version You Prefer?"

• 1 month later...
  • Members
5 hours ago, Thinking said:

Many, including the KJV will fool you, whether intentionally or NON-intentionally.

Again, a false assertion on your part. Please back this statement up or retract the statement.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Do you know what a "prick" is? (KJV)

Yes, I do. Having worked in cattle farming for several years, it's also referred to as a goad. It's really not that hard to understand. Get yourself a Merriam Webster's 1812 English dictionary if you're having that hard of a time understanding the Kings English.

• Members
On 5/3/2024 at 11:38 AM, BrotherTony said:

Yes, I do. Having worked in cattle farming for several years, it's also referred to as a goad. It's really not that hard to understand. Get yourself a Merriam Webster's 1812 English dictionary if you're having that hard of a time understanding the Kings English.

Glad you could look it up! The KJV uses an older English not spoken anymore.

My favorite is~

Phil 1:8- For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.

• Members
On 5/3/2024 at 9:38 AM, BrotherTony said:

The question is not why some say the KJV is out of date and hard to read rather the question is why do you not trust the modern language bibles. Do you think they were not good translations?

Does matter if the person reads the NLT, NASB, NKJV etc as long as they are reading God's word. If they are immersed in His word the Holy Spirit will guide them to His truths.

• Members
Posted (edited)

The ideal translation should be in MODERN English, with as few errors as possible. That would be the RSV if it didn't completely remove God's Name!

Edited by Thinking

• Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silverhair said:

The question is not why some say the KJV is out of date and hard to read rather the question is why do you not trust the modern language bibles. Do you think they were not good translations?

Does matter if the person reads the NLT, NASB, NKJV etc as long as they are reading God's word. If they are immersed in His word the Holy Spirit will guide them to His truths.

Who says that I don't trust the MVs? Am I wary of some of their interpretations, yes, and rightly so. Some DO try to over humanize Christ to the detriment of his deity. But, yes, God can use the MVs. I have never denied that.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
26 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Who says that I don't trust the MVs? Am I wary of some of their interpretations, yes, and rightly so. Some DO try to over humanize Christ to the detriment of his deity. But, yes, God can use the MVs. I have never denied that.

My comments were not meant as an attack on you. I have dealt with many KJVonly's and they consider all MV's as flawed. Again not saying you are as such.

The MV's have the advantage of more and better manuscripts with which to work. 

• Members
42 minutes ago, Silverhair said:

My comments were not meant as an attack on you. I have dealt with many KJVonly's and they consider all MV's as flawed. Again not saying you are as such.

The MV's have the advantage of more and better manuscripts with which to work. 

I didn't take it as an attack, believe me. I just wanted to clarify my position. The KJV is my preferred translation. I grew up with it, have always used it in my preaching, teaching, and writing. I use the MVs at times as commentary.