• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

He Get's Us - Super Bowl Commercial

• Administrators

Any one see this Super bowl commercial?

While I understand the anti hate message they were trying to get across, I think they did it the wrong way. First of Who's feet did Jesus wash?

• Members

The girl in the school photo is pouring water all over the floor! 🤣 She's going to be in trouble when one of those other kids slips and falls! Also, where's the towel, does she plan on drying the water with her hair?

I didn't watch the Super Bowl - not a fan. However, this commercial is getting talked about so I stumbled across it in another forum, in which both the Christians and non-Christians discussing it disliked it. As the saying goes "Any publicity is good publicity", it is getting shared. 

John 13:12-15 - So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

I'm not sure if the makers of the ad are using these verses to mean Christians should literally go out and about washing random people's feet, or if it's meant metaphorically. Anyway, I was curious to see who wasted millions of dollars on this ad: 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/faith/2024/02/12/dallas-based-firm-is-behind-he-gets-us-jesus-super-bowl-ads/#:~:text=The ads were created by,LinkedIn ahead of the game.

"The ads ran for a total of 75 seconds and together cost an estimated $17.5 million" - from the article, emphasis mine. 

So, a question. If you knew for sure that if you paid enough money to get the gospel message out in front of millions of people, who would then share your message with millions of others, whether to praise, hate, or debate it, is paying that money worth it? Or would that money be better spent helping those in need in your community? 

Second question. If you decided the ad was worth it, would you accept donations from any and all faith-based organizations who wanted to donate towards your ad if it guaranteed you'd get that coveted Super Bowl spot?

• Members

I didn't watch the SB but I did see a clip of what appeared to be a Satanist standing next to Taylor Swift. 

And I noticed that no "white supremacists," or "MAGA racists" we're getting their feet washed they will be in the "Punch a NAZI" commercial released by the same organization.

• Administrators

I get the sentiment...that we are supposed to love and help others. But here's the thing: there was no Gospel presented. It was a "feel good" commercial that didn't point folks to Christ. To me, it was more of the "tolerate everything" (except genuine Christianity) agenda.  The hate that Jesus didn't teach reference isn't, IMO, aimed at the folks who actually DO teach hate, but rather at Christians who warn about sin rather than, well, washing feet. My take on a very weak, again IMO, message that doesn't present Christ.