• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Line upon line, precept upon precept

Joe Chandler
Go to solution Solved by Pastor Scott Markle,

• Members

Isaiah 28:9-13 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

I was challenged to look at this passage recently. I have often heard the phrase "precept upon precept, line upon line" as the reason for understanding obscure passages by first learning the plain passages. I fully agree with the idea that plain passages should be understood before tackling the more difficult passages. It just makes sense.

But, after reading this passage, it seems that the stubborn Jews of Isaiah's time were the ones who could not hear God's word because they viewed the scriptures as nothing more than precepts, lines, here a little and there a little. Am I missing something here?

• Members

That passage teaches us how to understand the Word of God. God said if they were obedient and submissive to it, it would bring them rest and refreshing. Because they rebelled and would not hear the Word of the Lord, God would speak to them through other tongues - ie. through the Assyrians and Babylonians that would take them captive.

Isaiah 28:9-10

Whom shall he teach knowledge?
and whom shall he make to understand doctrine?
them that are weaned from the milk,
and drawn from the breasts.
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept;
line upon line, line upon line;
here a little, and there a little:

It goes with this passage:

1 Corinthians 2:13
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

And this:

2 Peter 1:20
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

No Scripture stands alone - it must all fit together, as 2 Timothy 2:15 teaches. We are to take all that the Bible teaches on something, here a little and there a little - wherever the Bible touches on something - no doctrine or teaching (ie. precept) stands alone on any one passage, but must take into consideration all that God has to say on that issue.

• Members
  • Solution
21 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

Isaiah 28:9-13 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

I was challenged to look at this passage recently. I have often heard the phrase "precept upon precept, line upon line" as the reason for understanding obscure passages by first learning the plain passages. I fully agree with the idea that plain passages should be understood before tackling the more difficult passages. It just makes sense.

But, after reading this passage, it seems that the stubborn Jews of Isaiah's time were the ones who could not hear God's word because they viewed the scriptures as nothing more than precepts, lines, here a little and there a little. Am I missing something here?

At the present time I am of the impression that Isaiah 28:9-13 presents BOTH the positive AND negative sides to the "precept upon precept, line upon line" teaching approach.  In verses 9-10 we find the value of this teaching approach, especially when instructing babes/beginners.  Indeed, with verse 11 the Lord announces His intention to employ this teaching approach toward Israel by means of foreign language speaking.  On the other hand, in verses 12-13 we find the drudgery of this teaching approach for those who are rebelliously resistant and wise in their own eyes.  Even so, this teaching method would result in their fall and destruction.

As such, the teaching approach of "precept upon precept, line upon line" is not so much about comparing truth to truth in order to discern the validity of the first truth, but is about building truth upon truth in order to grow in spiritual wisdom thereby.  However, for those who possess a rebellious heart, this teaching approach will be viewed as utter drudgery.  It will not be fast enough or "flashy" enough for their taste, primarily because it will be contrary to their heart's desires.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
grammar

• Members
2 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

As such, the teaching approach of "precept upon precept, line upon line" is not so much about comparing truth to truth in order to discern the validity of the first truth, but is about building truth upon truth in order to grow in spiritual wisdom thereby.

Yes. Other passages teach us to compare spiritual things - whether in the Bible or in our lives - but this passage is about laying the foundation for doctrine and Bible principles.

• Members
5 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

As such, the teaching approach of "precept upon precept, line upon line" is not so much about comparing truth to truth in order to discern the validity of the first truth, but is about building truth upon truth in order to grow in spiritual wisdom thereby.  However, for those who possess a rebellious heart, this teaching approach will be viewed as utter drudgery.  It will not be fast enough or "flashy" enough for their taste, primarily because it will be contrary to their heart's desires.

Edited 5 hours ago by Pastor Scott Markle

I agree. The Jews of the time were misapplying the principle, but it is still a valid way for us to interpret scripture by starting with plain texts and building. That reply really helped me. Thanks.

• Members

Also, it is worth noting that some modern versions change the passage to make the phrase nonsensical - ie. Isaiah playing with words to mock those he is speaking to (either by changing the wording or by including a note stating this). That obscures what the passage is actually about (studying and understanding the Word of God), and literally taking the passage and making it of none effect to those who read it).

Through the years, I have noticed that many Christians who go offtrack or who arrive at really weird conclusions on Bible issues have never taken the time to actually study out (ie. trace out) a doctrine, principle, word, etc. through the whole Bible - they have never read or included all the related passages in their conclusion; therefore, having an opinion/view/belief that actually contradicts some other parts of the Word of God. I am not saying I have arrived yet - BUT if I come across a passage or realize I have a belief or understanding of some issue or passage in the Bible that seems to contradict or not take into account other passages, I do not rest until I can figure it out, or at the least realize I do not have all the pieces of the puzzle, and file the pieces I do have in the back of my mind, while over time paying attention to what I do eventually find on that issue, then adjust my position accordingly.

Of course, James 1:5 is essential to understanding the Bible.