• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why there is confusion on “End Times” among Baptist.

• Members

1. How Can theology cause “end times” confusion? To study the bible in a comprehensive manner is a worthwhile goal and this is what theologies attempt to do. Once we know the whole, we can better understand its parts. Yet…

I. The artificial nature of theologies can vail the scriptures (both intentionally or unintentionally).

When a theology imposes an artificial structure to the bible, rather than using the bibles stated method and contextual progression, it transposes the passages and places a vail over the eyes of the person attempting to understand the scriptures, in both meaning and purpose. Now not all vails completely obscure all the parts, but it often prevents complete understanding or obscures a part's true function.

For example the vail of unbelief obscures the lost to understanding the scriptures (1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.), The vail of flesh obscures our view of heavenly things (2 Kings 6:15-17 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha., Isaiah 25:7 And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations., Isaiah 34:4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree., Revelation 6:14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.)

Such a spiritual veil was (and still is) over the hearts of the Jewish people in reading of the scriptures. Such a vail imposed caused the work of Christ to be rejected and his rulership to be refused (Luke 13:14 And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day. John 5:16-17“And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.) Yet after Jesus rose again He removed this veil from the eyes of His followers to see the scriptures as God intended. 

2 Corinthians 3:12-16 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: and not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. (Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. Revelation 19:10b ...for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.)

We even see where such a vail once removes was often re-imposed, once again obscuring the believer’s understanding. For example, the false teachers attempting to vail Christ under the Israelite covenant or the Law keepers in Galatia who attempted to vail Christ under the Law of Moses.

Acts 15:1And certain men which came down from Judæa taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. Galatians 1:6-10 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.” 

Such existed in Paul’s day and still does to this day, vexing the believers of Christ with vails of all sorts purporting to be a help to the believer in one way or another (i.e.. faithfulness to God, holiness, “right division”, business practices, prosperity, hidden knowledge, the way of salvation, etc.) yet results in obscuring the works of Christ in the process. Such are vails which do not keep Christ and His work at the center authority in all theology and instead imposes some other framework in its place. It matters not if that thing is good or even great, it all must be subject to Christ and His work. (Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.)

In light of these things, we can see how vails of theology can obscure our purpose and can change how and what we see in scripture. We must be careful that the lenses by which we attempt to see are shading our view of Christ's work, particularly in these end times. 

In the context of overarching views of scripture, there are many systematic frameworks, some good and many not so much, dealing with various aspects of theology. In general, among Bible Believing Baptist Christians there are three by which we take our overall view of End times to varying degrees. Covenant theology, Dispensation Theology, and Stewardship Theology. Because Baptist hold the Word of God, the Bible, in very high regard (Psalm 138:2b ...for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.), none are wholly given over to any one framework in its systematic entirety but rather, depending on the individual or group, use them in piecemeal to varying degrees, gleaning bits and pieces and using them at times to help explain what they see in the scriptures. Because of this many are strong in one area but weak in others, being swayed or steadfast. 

In general Baptist to various degrees glean their Soteriology from Covenant Theology and their Bible divisions from Dispensation Theology and their work ethics from Stewardship Theology. Yet because they are derivative and not in their native biblical format these artificially systematized theologies can become vails to those studying them, If Christ and His work is not kept in view. Take the following examples for each:

Covenant Theology holds as its core principle the “Covenant of Grace”. Its strength is tracing God’s mercy and grace to all believers from the beginning of time all the way to its rest into eternity. Yet its weakness is that it can see nothing else and no other purpose. It sees in every covenant and testament a one for one exchange and transformation. Essentially the passing of the guard. National Israel and its priest becomes the church and it ministers, circumcision becomes baptism, etc. Essentially every reference to believing Israel becomes a promise, allegory or spiritual or prophetic pronouncement for the church to one degree or another. (Ephesians 4:4-6 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.)

Dispensation Theology holds as its core principle “the responsibility of man through time”. Its strength is showing us man’s responsibility before God in each period of time as presented in scripture. It excels in seeing division of institutions through time (ie. family, church, government, Israel, the nations) Its weakness is that it makes hard cuts of everything into set “ages” wrongly dividing many spiritual things that it shouldn’t, particularly the saving work of Christ. (Ephesians 1:9-11 having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: that in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: in whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:)

Stewardship Theology holds as its core principle “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?”. Its strength is getting people to work and applying scripture principles to the work in which they are called. Properly focused it gets people involved in Great Commission with their time talent and treasure. Due to inherent nature of harnessing biblical principles of multiplication, its weakness is when its strength is misapplied only for the secular, or it is abused into a prosperity style gospel and no longer has working for Christ as its end goal. (Acts 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. James 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.)

How then can theses cause confusion for the end times? In general, when relegated to their secondary and partial status as helps to the scripture they don’t tend to have that great effect on the everyday life. Yet when the believer attempts to peer beyond the vail of their understanding and if they are not careful will seek to the theologies rather than to just to prayer and scriptural study. (Isaiah 8:19-20 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.)

Why is this? Theologies, for however good they may be, present to the believer a quick and concise picture of the thing to which they are seeking without all of the work and study that true scripture study would require. All the supporting verses are cleanly presented with none of the conflicting or contextual things of scripture in the way. The pieces of scripture that do not fit are ignored and tossed aside for the new shiny systematic construct. It is all of the sugar with none of the fiber. Study the script and instantly have something that makes sense and is easy to defend against heretics (Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?). 

Many theologies live in harmony and have strong scriptural support for why they are to be believed as correct in their outcomes yet conflict comes when two or more purport to have the biblical answer yet have different answers to the questions asked. This leads to adherents battling it out for who is more correct by latching on to the weak points of the other theology. This then makes the adherents to wrest more scripture in attempt to prove their system over the other, leaving the true context of each passage to be disregarded and in their wake. Becoming less about the truth of scripture and more about their truth, vailing their heart just as did the rivaling factions among the Jews. This is precisely what is going on in the area of end times with the above three theologies. (Acts 23:7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided. 2 Peter 3:16-17 ...speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. Romans 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

It then is imperative then to the Lord’s work that we not be caught up in such conflicts when seeking answers from scripture and seek for the truth beyond the theologies and as scripture presents them.

To be continued....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The last time I attended a church was in 2016 when I was teaching at Baptist High School Ndop.

End time messages on morning devotion was best to get student committed. Many will cry and infact was the best message that always move hearts.

#3 is very much applicable in Africa. Many have twisted the Scripture to suit their way of life. 

A question.  Is there anything like prosperity gospel? We had prosperity prophets, business prophets etc all around us. 

• Members
23 hours ago, Kienyui said:

A question.  Is there anything like prosperity gospel? We had prosperity prophets, business prophets etc all around us.

Prosperity preaching basically, takes God's biblical principles of stewardship (which are right and true) and stets them to a wrong purpose. As I indicated in the opening that three Theologies typically influence most Baptists thinking. When one gets out of balance or wrongly focused then it becomes a problem. God gave us the stewardship principles to build his Spiritual kingdom, but False teachers and preachers take them and apply the principles to build themselves a physical kingdom while making their brothers poor.

2 Peter 2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

• Members
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Salyan said:

Sounds like you need to get in a good church again. Are you still in Ndop? Where did you attend while you were there?

I surely will. I am no longer there. The area was taken by separatist/secessionist fighters and the population had to relocate

Today's update around me

1717056708979.jpg

Edited by Kienyui