• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sign given to the Pharisees of 3 days and 3 nights?

• Members

When responding to the Pharisees' request for a sign, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

• Members
6 hours ago, rstrats said:

When responding to the Pharisees' request for a sign, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

What's the first thought that comes to your mind when you read it. Center of the Earth or inside a sepulchre?

• Members
13 minutes ago, SureWord said:

What's the first thought that comes to your mind when you read it. Center of the Earth or inside a sepulchre?

If by "it" you're referring to the heart of the earth, I'd say that the first time I heard the phrase I probably thought of the tomb.  Any particular reason for asking?

Edited by rstrats

• Members
13 hours ago, rstrats said:

If by "it" you're referring to the heart of the earth, I'd say that the first time I heard the phrase I probably thought of the tomb.  Any particular reason for asking?

You keep asking about this verse. Go with your first impression and then move on until something else tells you otherwise. 

• Members
30 minutes ago, SureWord said:

30 minutes ago, SureWord said:

You keep asking about this verse. Go with your first impression and then move on until something else tells you otherwise. 

I'm simply curious as to what folks' "impression" with regard to the reason for selecting 3 days and 3 nights as opposed to some different time frame might be.

• Members

My impression is that the center of the earth is the place where Abraham and the rich man had their conversation. It contained both hell and paradise. He brought those in paradise up to be with Him when he resurrected. How long was Christ in the grave before he rose from the dead?

Ephesians 4:8   Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Psalm 68:18   Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

Edited by Joe Chandler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/10/2023 at 10:45 AM, Joe Chandler said:

How long was Christ in the grave before he rose from the dead?

When the Messiah was asked for a sign (I assume to prove His authority) He told the scribes and Pharisees that He would be in the heart of the earth for 3 daytimes and 3 night times.  So I assume He meant in the tomb, or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body.    The question of this topic is why specifically 3 days and 3 nights?  Was there something significant about that period of time?

• Administrators

I cannot prove what I am going to say by scripture; but I have heard it preached that by Jewish tradition, a person was not considered dead until they had been dead for three days.

If this is so, then it may have been that Jesus being in the tomb for three days would be convincing evidence that He had died, and would make His resurrection all the more valid to the Jews.

There may be other valid arguments for this Jewish tradition, such as the case of Lazarus. When Jesus heard that Lazarus had died He waited three days before coming to him, which would have been four days total.

The resurrection of Lazarus is a type of Jesus' resurrection and as such, it would follow that Jesus wanted the Jews to know of a surety that Lazarus had died, therefore making his resurrection valid and convincing. Jesus told the Jews in no uncertain terms that Lazarus had died after first saying that he was asleep. Believers who die are said to be asleep.

Joh 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
Joh 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Joh 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Joh 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Joh 11:15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

• Members
9 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I cannot prove what I am going to say by scripture; but I have heard it preached that by Jewish tradition, a person was not considered dead until they had been dead for three days.

If this is so, then it may have been that Jesus being in the tomb for three days would be convincing evidence that He had died, and would make His resurrection all the more valid to the Jews.

That may very well have been the reason.  I was hoping that someone might have some authoritative documentation with regard to that being the Jewish thinking of the period.  

BTW, if so, that would also make a Friday afternoon burial/Sunday morning resurrection position invalid.  

• Administrators
3 hours ago, rstrats said:

BTW, if so, that would also make a Friday afternoon burial/Sunday morning resurrection position invalid.  

Yes, and that has been a subject that has been hashed over quite a bit on this forum for many years. Every once in a while it is brought up again.

• Members
On 6/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, rstrats said:

I never suppose.    (about Messiah's Word) (God's Word)

He spoke the truth, always.   Every dot, every crossed t,  every syllable truth.   

Never ever any error ,  no, never any spot nor wrinkle at all. 

• Members
32 minutes ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

I never suppose.    (about Messiah's Word) (God's Word)

He spoke the truth, always.   Every dot, every crossed t,  every syllable truth.   

Never ever any error ,  no, never any spot nor wrinkle at all. 

He asked for something specific....All here take God at his word, I would believe. It's good to know that you believe every dot, crossed T's, etc. Now, what about the 3 days & 3 nights... where and how were they spent? Any input?

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
On 6/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, rstrats said:

Jesus already knew the truth,  and He spoke Abba/Father's Word as directed by Abba.  That was clear through all Scripture that Jesus never did anything of nor from Himself,  but always and only as He saw the Father Do and Speak, so Jesus Did and Spoke.

Men again put man's traditions over God's Word at that time, and in the days and years and centuries that followed.

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

where and how were they spent? Any input?

I believe he was in paradise, where Abraham and the rich man were doing this:

1 Peter 3:19   By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

1 Peter 4:6   For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.  

Why exactly 3 days and 3 nights? Nobody seems to know. I liked Jim_Alaska's answer.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Joe Chandler said:

I believe he was in paradise, where Abraham and the rich man were doing this:

1 Peter 3:19   By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

1 Peter 4:6   For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.  

Why exactly 3 days and 3 nights? Nobody seems to know. I liked Jim_Alaska's answer.

I was hoping M4FJ could or would give an answer instead of his usual gobblygook. LOL