• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Has anyone here ever done voiceover work or audio book narration?

BrotherTony

• Members

My wife and I have been asked many times to consider doing audiobook narration or voiceover work. I used to do the tapes for peoples answering machines way back in the 1970s and 80s, but not many people use the old styled answering machines any longer. I used to make some good money to do this. It helped pay my way to church camp several times. We have a few friends and a couple of relatives who have done on or the other of these two, and other friends who have done podcasting as well. We're considering doing all three to help get my wife out of corporate abuse (they keep changing the hours of operation for her shift back and forth...from five eight hour days to four 10 hour days, and now, back again.) The constant changing of the hours and days back and forth has been hard for many where she works to handle, especially when the days off aren't ever allowed by the company and 'mandatory' overtime is the norm. Our friends who have started doing voiceover and audiobook narrating are making fairly decent incomes for their work. Yet, it IS a job, and auditions have to be given just as in any 'casting call' in acting. 

I was wanting to know if any here had done this kind of work in the past or even considered it? We knowt that it would free up a lot of our time for ministry and other things that we wish to do, and it would give us the ability to work from anywhere since we would need to set up a home studio for recording. This would also help in my music. Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

BT

• Members

I looked into audiobook narration a few years ago. I was thinking about starting with the free audiobook sites which are done by volunteers (a good one is https://librivox.org/), which means it isn't paid. However, I figured it would help me gain experience and know whether or not it was something I could do long term, and build up a portfolio to help get paid work. Unfortunately I found out fairly quickly that I don't have the voice/talent for it. I realized there was so much more to audiobook recording than simply reading a book aloud. Having the voice for it also includes being able to read with cadence, slightly changing your voice for characters (don't really need to be distinctive, but to need to know how to distinguish between narration and character speech), and so much more. If someone is a natural storyteller, it should be very easy for them to read for audiobooks. 

Now podcasting is another can of worms. I enjoy listening to podcasts. Some are very scripted and some are off the cuff. Both styles are enjoyable in their own ways. I guess if you have a topic you're passionate about and believe others would be interested in it, than that is something that might be a good option. I've not looked into what it takes to run a podcast and what makes them successful, but it would be a good subject to look into as an option to make some money. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I looked into audiobook narration a few years ago. I was thinking about starting with the free audiobook sites which are done by volunteers (a good one is https://librivox.org/), which means it isn't paid. However, I figured it would help me gain experience and know whether or not it was something I could do long term, and build up a portfolio to help get paid work. Unfortunately I found out fairly quickly that I don't have the voice/talent for it. I realized there was so much more to audiobook recording than simply reading a book aloud. Having the voice for it also includes being able to read with cadence, slightly changing your voice for characters (don't really need to be distinctive, but to need to know how to distinguish between narration and character speech), and so much more. If someone is a natural storyteller, it should be very easy for them to read for audiobooks. 

Now podcasting is another can of worms. I enjoy listening to podcasts. Some are very scripted and some are off the cuff. Both styles are enjoyable in their own ways. I guess if you have a topic you're passionate about and believe others would be interested in it, than that is something that might be a good option. I've not looked into what it takes to run a podcast and what makes them successful, but it would be a good subject to look into as an option to make some money. 

Having had a lot of "public speaking" (I used to be involved in politics, music, and also am a minister) for many years, I definitely know how to change my voice for each character or situation. That has never been a problem for me. My friends and relatives who are involved in these industries have been after both my wife and I for years now to "get involved" and to finally earn what we're worth. We both have seen the struggles involved, the "casting calls" and the auditions for the voiceovers, and that's something we could bear. The podcasting would be something interesting for us as we have a lot of varied interests, and a lot of friends who we interact with on a consistant basis on theses subjects. For me, it would be a natural thing. Not so much so for my wife. But, she has the ability to learn quickly and adapt to many situations and conditions. Thanks for posting a link to help get some experience back under our belts. Paid or not it would be something we're interested in just for the opportunity to build a portfolio. 

• Members
45 minutes ago, Napsterdad said:

I wasn't referring to your reaction. TGL gave his own post a "LOL" reaction. THAT is sad.

Ah, I see. I didn't recognize that. I apologize. I don't watch TGL's reactions as they're often quite confusing. 

• Administrators

@BrotherTony I will be putting together a commercial for our church (around Feb) and I was actually looking to hire someone for a voiceover for the 30 second video. If you are interested I'll contact you when ready. Can't pay a lot (not going to retire off it ?) but definitely compensate you for your time.

I hit like on my own post for @Napsterdad ???

• Members
9 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

@BrotherTony I will be putting together a commercial for our church (around Feb) and I was actually looking to hire someone for a voiceover for the 30 second video. If you are interested I'll contact you when ready. Can't pay a lot (not going to retire off it ?) but definitely compensate you for your time.

I hit like on my own post for @Napsterdad ???

Thank you. I'll send you my contact information in a DM.