• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do Baptist believe in the 10 Commandments

TheGloryLand
Go to solution Solved by BrotherTony,

• Members
On 12/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, Salyan said:

I'm not intending to beat a dead horse, but am unsure whether rstrats is being serious or sarcastic with his above statement. If it's serious, I apologize for misconstruing your comment. 

The KJV is indeed the only translation to be used on this site, as per the posted rules. 

Sorry, I'm old and sometimes forget where I am. 

• Members
On 3/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, Invicta said:

Our pastor preached on the Ten Commandments about a month ago.  I did read recently that many churches in the past had the ten commandments on the wall behind the pulpit, five on each side. 

Was there an asterisk next to the 4th one?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, TheGloryLand said:

Thank you for sharing brother Tony,  regarding myself, I’m just a evangelist that teach salvation, the gospel. The gospel that teaches salvation in Jesus Christ, that he died in arose the third day victorious over death. That a person must realize that he or she is a sinner, we must repent of our evil ways and come to Christ or salvation. I am not a teacher.

So how do you define sin without the law? Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

• Members

Do Baptists believe in the 10 commandments? We do not observe the dietary law, because the council in Jerusalem said the Gentile believers were exempt. Nobody can observe the ceremonial law, because the temple has been destroyed. Now we come to the moral law. So ask yourself a common sense question. Should I steal? Should I murder my neighbor? Should I lie against my neighbor? No. Why not? The Bible says that these are sins. The law defines sin. 

Romans 7:7   What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Here is an excerpt from a group of Baptist in England in 1770: 

Article II.  On the Nature and Perpetual Obligation of the Moral Law.   We believe, that the moral law not only extends to the outward actions of the life, but to all the powers and faculties of the mind, to every desire, temper and thought; that it demands the entire devotion of all the powers and faculties of both body and soul to God: or, in our Lord's words, to love the Lord with all our heart, mind, soul and strength:-that this law is of perpetual duration and obligation, to all men, at all times, and in all places or parts of the world.  And, we suppose that this law was obligatory to Adam in his perfect state-was more clearly reveled in the ten commandments-and more fully explained in many other parts of the bible.

Do Baptists believe in the 10 Commandments? Yes.

• Members
2 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

We do not observe the dietary law, because the council in Jerusalem said the Gentile believers were exempt.

I'm not aware that the council said that.  What do you have in mind?

• Members
32 minutes ago, rstrats said:

They did away with a lot of the requirements for Jews that were being forced on the Gentiles by the devout Jewish community. 

• Members
30 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

They did away with a lot of the requirements for Jews that were being forced on the Gentiles by the devout Jewish community. 

But I don't see where they said anything about the Levitical dietary laws. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, rstrats said:

But I don't see where they said anything about the Levitical dietary laws. 

They shouldn't have had to since the Gentiles, believers or not, were never obligated to live by any levitical requirements. They were never Jewish.

• Members
2 hours ago, rstrats said:

Acts 15:19-20   Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:  20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

• Members
1 hour ago, Joe Chandler said:

Acts 15:19-20   Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:  20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Thank you, Joe. I knew it was in Acts, but for the life of me am just too tired to recall anything at this point.

• Members
1 minute ago, Joe Chandler said:

I am 65 years old and my mind is slipping. Rest always helps me. ? 

I just turned 61 earlier this month and can't believe how much I'm forgetting. I'm working on some memory skillsets, though. Besides, I still write, compose, and do voiceovers. 

• Members
9 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

They shouldn't have had to since the Gentiles, believers or not, were never obligated to live by any levitical requirements. They were never Jewish.

But Joe C. wrote that the council in Jerusalem said that the Gentile believers were exempt from the dietary law. I assumed he was referring to the Acts 15 account. I don't see where the account says anything about not observing the Levitical dietary laws.  That's all I was questioning. 

Edited by rstrats