• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church businesses …

Go to solution Solved by Pastorj,

• Members
On 4/5/2024 at 2:04 PM, Pastor Matt said:

I must not be a good pastor, I only put in 20-30 hours a week into pastoring 

To be fair, my last two pastors are also the administrators of their schools. Since the school is considered a part of the ministry I lumped that into their pastoral duties.

In my mind 1 Timothy 5:17-18 is a good guide to go by: Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Elders that rule well are certainly worthy of double honour. I could not do that job, and anyone that would criticize should walk a mile in their shoes before casting aspersions. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Napsterdad said:

To be fair, my last two pastors are also the administrators of their schools. Since the school is considered a part of the ministry I lumped that into their pastoral duties.

In my mind 1 Timothy 5:17-18 is a good guide to go by: Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Elders that rule well are certainly worthy of double honour. I could not do that job, and anyone that would criticize should walk a mile in their shoes before casting aspersions. 

Thank you for sharing, just for the record I am not criticizing anyone.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

1 Corinthians 12:4-7 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

It only makes sense to me to present new business to the leaders first. The leaders then get feedback from family and friends in the congregation. The leaders can present the difficulties to the pastor, so that the leadership can be prepared for questions and objections. I have seen business meetings get out of hand because there are strong objections to a new agenda item that nobody was prepared for.  I mean what is the point of a pastor and deacons if they can't be trusted to gather information?

• Members
6 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

1 Corinthians 12:4-7 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

It only makes sense to me to present new business to the leaders first. The leaders then get feedback from family and friends in the congregation. The leaders can present the difficulties to the pastor, so that the leadership can be prepared for questions and objections. I have seen business meetings get out of hand because there are strong objections to a new agenda item that nobody was prepared for.  I mean what is the point of a pastor and deacons if they can't be trusted to gather information?

What I have seen in my opinion, is that in some meetings there are those who have been members for a very long time, they believe, that they are the owners or have the final say so, in that church. For this reason, I love the test of time, for as years go by none of them or even myself will remain there. For we all are part-timers. 👍

• Members
4 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

What I have seen in my opinion, is that in some meetings there are those who have been members for a very long time, they believe, that they are the owners or have the final say so, in that church. For this reason, I love the test of time, for as years go by none of them or even myself will remain there. For we all are part-timers. 👍

The people who think they are owners and "in charge" often have been the elders and deacons in both the IFB and the SBC churches we have been members of. To let them congregate to "gather information" is all well and good, but, when they start having their opinions known before the congregating of the body together for discussion can often be problematic in that it presents as an elite vs. pions atmosphere. I have to disagree with Joe to a certain extent. 

• Members
1 minute ago, BrotherTony said:

The people who think they are owners and "in charge" often have been the elders and deacons in both the IFB and the SBC churches we have been members of. To let them congregate to "gather information" is all well and good, but, when they start having their opinions known before the congregating of the body together for discussion can often be problematic in that it presents as an elite vs. pions atmosphere. I have to disagree with Joe to a certain extent. 

You know what’s very weird, in my case. I normally vote Yes, probably 90% of the time on any decisions that the leaders are gonna present, but that 10% of time not agreeing with them, they’ll put an X mark on you. This Mark is a invisible Mark. Nobody can see it, but you can tell by the way members look at you for now on. The new church that we are attending, most likely will not go to the members meetings. The less we see and know might favor us hopefully.