• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Trying To Find TRADITIONAL Wedding Vows

2bLikeJesus

• Members
  • Members
16 hours ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

Does anyone have traditional wedding vows that have not been modernized that they can send me?  It's amazing how hard those are to find now.  

Bro. Garry

Brother Garry,

The following are the wedding vows that I myself have adapted and used for the two (and only two) weddings which I have performed over my 18 years as pastor of Melvin Baptist Church --

Wedding Vows

Although the one-flesh relationship of marriage brings many joys, it also involves many responsibilities.  God’s Holy Word, the Bible, reveals these God-ordained responsibilities to both the husband and the wife. 

Miss Rebekah Loggans, in the opening half of Proverbs 12:4 God’s Word declares, “A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband.”  Again in Proverbs 31:10-12 God’s Word declares, “Who can find a virtuous woman?  For her price is far above rubies.  The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.  She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.”  Yet again in Ephesians 5:22-24 God’s Word declares, “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.  For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.  Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.”  Finally, in 1 Peter 3:3-4 God’s Word declares, “Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.”

Mr. Ronald Edington, your responsibility in this holy and honorable relationship is even greater; for in the opening portion of Genesis 2:24 God’s Word declares, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife.”  Again in Ephesians 5:25-29 God’s Word declares, “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.  So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.  For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church.”  Yet again in Colossians 3:19 God’s Word declares, “Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.”  Finally, in 1 Peter 3:7 God’s Word declares, “Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.”

Christian marriage is not living merely for each other.  It is two persons becoming one flesh, uniting to serve the Lord our God together.  Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and He will add all other things to you.  Ever relate to one another in godly love, being compassionate, kind, humble, meek, and longsuffering, forbearing one another and forgiving one another.  Do not expect perfection of one another.  Although you need not minimize each other’s weaknesses, always be quick to praise, magnify, and give thanks for each other’s attractiveness, strengths, efforts, and accomplishments.  “Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.”  Let the peace of God rule in your hearts and in your home.  Let the Lord Jesus Christ be the central figure of your marriage relationship together.  Ever serve Him joyfully and faithfully together, until He returns in glory, or until at last one shall lay the other to rest in the arms of the Savior.  And do all of this through the grace that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So then, considering the significance and the responsibilities of the marriage relationship, it should not be entered into thoughtlessly, insincerely, or inadvisably, but reverently, discreetly, and in the fear of God.  You both stand before us as the children of God, eternally redeemed through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior from sin.  Do you intend to establish a home that is truly Christ-centered, where the Word of God is loved, studied, and obeyed, a home that is knit together by prayer and godly love, in which the Holy Spirit is your constant Guide?

Groom and Bride – We do.

Pastor – Mr. Ronald Edington, do you now make a public and solemn covenant before God to receive this woman as your wedded wife, to love her, nourish her, cherish her, honor her, and cleave only unto her in sickness and in health, in prosperity and in adversity, in joy and in sorrow, and forsaking all others, to keep yourself only unto her, so long as you both shall live?

Groom – I do.

Pastor – Miss Rebekah Loggans, do you now make a public and solemn covenant before God to accept this man as your wedded husband, to love him, reverence him, support him, obey him, and submit yourself unto him, in sickness and in health, in prosperity and in adversity, in joy and in sorrow, and forsaking all others, to keep yourself only unto him, so long as you both shall live?

Bride – I do.

Pastor to Couple – Will you please join your right hands and repeat after me?

I, Ronald Edington, take thee, Rebekah Loggans, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and hereto I pledge thee my faithfulness.

I, Rebekah Loggans, take thee, Ronald Edington, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and hereto I pledge thee my faithfulness.

• Members
5 hours ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

I love you Pastor Markle!  This is EXACTLY what I was seeking!  You just topped all wedding gifts we might receive!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Bro. Garry Santos

Well, thank you for your love; and I praise that Lord that I could be of help to you.

You're welcome; you're welcome; you're welcome!