• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Historic Engines

Invicta

• Members

This is the Invicta supposed to first passenger train loco. Ran from Whitstable to Canterbury.  It was called the Crab and Winkle line.  It is no longer a railway track but a cycle path and is now called the Crab and Winkle Way.

sInvicta' steam locomotive, 1830. at Science and Society Picture ...    Invicta, Canterbury, 1970s flip.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invicta_(locomotive)

Edited by Invicta

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I started this thread with an old Faversham fire engine.  I have just found another picture from the same town.

I don't know when it was taken but judging by the decorations on the cart. it seems to be at some celebration, perhaps the end of WW1 or that Boar War

Faversham fire end=gine.jpg

• Members

I nicked that photo from a facebook group  "Memories of Faversham and surrounding villages"  Several people said it was made of wood and stored in a barn in their childhood and they used to play on it, but no one knows what happened to it.

There is at least one house near here that has an old Sun Insurance Plate on it,

Historical Cookham: The Sign of the Sun.  

It seems if your house was insured they put their plate on your wall as they operated their own fire crews who only attended houses that were insured with them.  I did a search for them and came across the following article describing the rise of fire insurance and fire services after the great fire of London in 1666.  

http://www.moleseyhistory.co.uk/books/surrey/fireplaques/index.html

The article is by a local history society in the county of Surrey.