• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

State's Religion Demographics

1Timothy115

• Members

I just saw signs that a nearby city will have an all RCC radio station soon.

Here in Ohio I thought Baptists (5.63%) would have a larger population. But according to one website we dwarf the RCC (17.72%).

Are Baptists overall (IFB, SBC, etc) a shrinking population? What are the stats in your state, particularly Baptist to RCC?

• Members

There are sizable Catholic groupings in the cities which gives them the edge.

29% Catholic

15% No Religion

11% Baptist

That's the top three. Many SBC churches have stagnated or shrunk in recent years. At the same time, in and around the cities Hinduism, Islam and other Eastern religions are seeing growth.

The largest growth area seems to be among those who claim no religion.

A survey a couple years ago said Mississippi is the most "religious" State while Vermont was the least "religious" State.

There are a lot of Baptist and Methodist churches around here.

The large influx of Catholic Mexicans over the past couple of decades has really changed the demographics in some States.

• Members

There are sizable Catholic groupings in the cities which gives them the edge.

29% Catholic

15% No Religion

11% Baptist

That's the top three. Many SBC churches have stagnated or shrunk in recent years. At the same time, in and around the cities Hinduism, Islam and other Eastern religions are seeing growth.

The largest growth area seems to be among those who claim no religion.

A survey a couple years ago said Mississippi is the most "religious" State while Vermont was the least "religious" State.

There are a lot of Baptist and Methodist churches around here.

The large influx of Catholic Mexicans over the past couple of decades has really changed the demographics in some States.

​Again, dwarfing the Baptists.

• Members

In a 2009 Gallup poll, Oregon ranked #1 of US states with the highest percentage of residents who were unaffiliated with any religion, at 24.6%.[3] Although 46% of Oregonians identify religion as being "very important", a full 40% of Oregonians (including those affiliated with a religion) seldom or never attend services.

Catholics 14%  

Baptists 8.7%

LDS 10.4%

Note:  Those percentages are of those that list any affiliation with religion...a rarity in Oregon where the vast majority of people are atheists, or agnostics. 

Oregon truly is a mission field. 

• Members

I had a difficult time finding current stats for various states and the country as a whole, but it seems most larger cities have a lot of Catholics while the more rural areas have far fewer. It also makes a difference as to immigration patters, such as where those who immigrated in the early 20th century went to (they were predominately from Catholic nations), as well as current Mexican, Central and South American immigrants who are predominately Catholic.

Some areas I expected to be mostly Baptist turned out to have a slightly higher percentage of Methodists.

Unfortunately, Baptists in general, and especially those Baptists who hold closest to Scripture, seem to have done a poor job of passing on their faith to their children. While the Catholics are passing on a false faith, they tend to do a good job of keeping their children Catholic; as do some others.

The SBC has reported for a number of years very low numbers of new baptisms and slow church growth. The IFB churches in this area have shrunk, even after most "liberalized" themselves. The Baptist church closest to here with the strongest growth is one that's become a "more fun" church and even has a female associate pastor. The Baptist church growing the most in the entire area is a Calvinist Baptist church that places heavy emphasis on soul winning (go figure!).

It's not just Baptists declining, the local Methodist churches have sparse congregations too.

• Members

In a 2009 Gallup poll, Oregon ranked #1 of US states with the highest percentage of residents who were unaffiliated with any religion, at 24.6%.[3] Although 46% of Oregonians identify religion as being "very important", a full 40% of Oregonians (including those affiliated with a religion) seldom or never attend services.

Catholics 14%  

Baptists 8.7%

LDS 10.4%

Note:  Those percentages are of those that list any affiliation with religion...a rarity in Oregon where the vast majority of people are atheists, or agnostics. 

Oregon truly is a mission field. 

​Thanks, specific state is helpful.  
Ohio 5.63:17.72 (1 to 3)
Oregon 8.7:14 (1 to 1.6)
What ever state John mentioned isn't far off the Ohio ratio. 11:29 (1 to 2.63)
I surmise if I pulled all those statistics Ohio would be a huge mission field too and probably even more so.

• Members

I had a difficult time finding current stats for various states and the country as a whole, but it seems most larger cities have a lot of Catholics while the more rural areas have far fewer. It also makes a difference as to immigration patters, such as where those who immigrated in the early 20th century went to (they were predominately from Catholic nations), as well as current Mexican, Central and South American immigrants who are predominately Catholic.

Some areas I expected to be mostly Baptist turned out to have a slightly higher percentage of Methodists.

Unfortunately, Baptists in general, and especially those Baptists who hold closest to Scripture, seem to have done a poor job of passing on their faith to their children. While the Catholics are passing on a false faith, they tend to do a good job of keeping their children Catholic; as do some others.

The SBC has reported for a number of years very low numbers of new baptisms and slow church growth. The IFB churches in this area have shrunk, even after most "liberalized" themselves. The Baptist church closest to here with the strongest growth is one that's become a "more fun" church and even has a female associate pastor. The Baptist church growing the most in the entire area is a Calvinist Baptist church that places heavy emphasis on soul winning (go figure!).

It's not just Baptists declining, the local Methodist churches have sparse congregations too.

​Use keywords "religious demographics".

• Members

Looks like to me.  Especially with those Church of England stats.  It's what they are born into and stay with.  I would be interested to know who converted to what.  lol.  Which that figure is more than likely not possible.  Catholics don't do much in the way of proselyting.  Ever.  Tell the truth I have never seen them do it.  Lived in NY, Detroit, Atlanta.    Only ones I have seen here are Jehovah witness,  Mormons - rare.  Muslims daily only in one spot though, here.  Not much of anything else. 

Then there is door to door.  We have people that do that of course I am sure.  Never encountered it though.  Jehovah's witness they hang out in th train stations metro with a magazine rack (Not all the time though).  I assume they go door to door also.  Muslims (black Muslim group) same thing hand out newspapers at one train station only.  Saw a few Mormons on bikes a couple of years back. 

We cover the town more than anyone else in all kinds of places, events, neighborhoods etc. More than anyone else that's a fact lol.  What happens in the suburbs and rural area's with door to door soulwinning.  I'm not sure at all. 

My opinion, Only my opinion mind you.  Everyone that is in the Congregations needs to go carry out the Great commission.  If you think you should.  You may well probably should. 

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

It's amazing how much more difficult it is sharing the Gospel today than it was just 20-30 years ago. This is especially difficult in this very rural, somewhat more conservative and "Christian" area where virtually everyone already thinks they are Christians. Even those who don't regularly attend church often think of themselves as a particular "type" of Christian. These folks are very quick to take offense at the idea they might need to hear the Gospel or it might be good to listen to what the Bible says about going to heaven.

The things I hear the most, before they turn and leave are "I've been a Christian all my life", "I'm as good or better than you", "I've been baptized", "I atttended/attend __________ church so I'm good".

Leaving tracts all over the place (in public bathrooms, in library books, magazines in doctors offices, in other waiting areas, etc.) can be helpful. Offering free tracts and biblical booklets at yard sales and passing such out at various places usually gets good acceptance.

I need to get some more business cards with our church info on one side and a Bible verse and short message on the other.

• Members

Hey good idea.  I was downtown tonight and a woman was fighting with her boyfriend and I made the mistake of not handing the tract to her.  I set it down next to her and she slapped it away lol.  She was mad about something. 

I have found the best way to do things is.  Not get into a debate about what denomination they are.  Avoid apologetics until your through giving them the good news.  Salvation verses.  You can reason from scripture.  After your finished then you can talk about the denomination or if need be apologetics.  Save that for last.  Because you want to get the Gospel to them first. 

I'm can't really tell just by looking at someone if they are saved or not.  I never assume.  Questions if they say they are saved.  Would be like.  Why would you get into heaven?  Or if you died today would you go to Heaven or hell?  If so why?  The final question might be can you lose your salvation?  After the others have been answered satisfactorily.  If they answer yes you can.  you might be dealing with works-salvation.   There are some really seasoned soul-winners out there.  Its good to see what they do also.  Of course the Gospel saves that's first and foremost.  

Try and get a partner.  They were sent out in twos.  Someone with a lot of experience if  possible.  I got blessed there myself.  By having more seasoned soul winners to show me.  That helped so much it really did. 

Edited by Potatochip