• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor That Dress Right Preaches Right...

The Glory Land

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What does it mean to dress right?  Does it mean a $700 suit and tie?  Does it mean a secondhand shabby looking suit?  Does it mean priest collar and robes?  Does it mean nice slacks and a button down shirt?

Dressing right is very subjective.  I kind of prefer the collar and robes, as it takes much of the question and individual style out of the equation. Also, if there is anything found in the Bible about dress of the spiritual leaders it is found in Exodus 28:

And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.

And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

And these are the garments which they shall make; a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe, and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle: and they shall make holy garments for Aaron thy brother, and his sons, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

And they shall take gold, and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen.

And they shall make the ephod of gold, of blue, and of purple, of scarlet, and fine twined linen, with cunning work.

It shall have the two shoulderpieces thereof joined at the two edges thereof; and so it shall be joined together.

And the curious girdle of the ephod, which is upon it, shall be of the same, according to the work thereof; even of gold, of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen.

So there is precedent for making some sort of robes/vestments for the pastor to wear.  God seems to want the pastors to wear certain types of robes or vestments to set them apart.  In my church, our pastor wears a plain white robe, with a rope to tie around the waist, and then wears stoles that have different spiritual reminders or colors to remind us of certain things, depending on what time of year it is. 

• Members

What does it mean to dress right?  Does it mean a $700 suit and tie?  Does it mean a secondhand shabby looking suit?  Does it mean priest collar and robes?  Does it mean nice slacks and a button down shirt?

Dressing right is very subjective.  I kind of prefer the collar and robes, as it takes much of the question and individual style out of the equation. 

See picture above.....   :biggrin:

• Members

That is so incorrect. I have visited 28 churches in the Statesville, NC area. All of them, the pastor has dressed properly and quite frankly, only a couple could actually preach.

The Bible says that Man looketh on the outward appearance.

Gloryland - Your obsession with pastors and finding faults is alarming. Time to look in the mirror and get your own heart right. It's individuals like you that are driving the good pastors out of the ministry and leaving us with people who don't belong.

• Members

That is so incorrect. I have visited 28 churches in the Statesville, NC area. All of them, the pastor has dressed properly and quite frankly, only a couple could actually preach.

The Bible says that Man looketh on the outward appearance.

Gloryland - Your obsession with pastors and finding faults is alarming. Time to look in the mirror and get your own heart right. It's individuals like you that are driving the good pastors out of the ministry and leaving us with people who don't belong.

What do you mean? I am talking good about them in this post.

• Members

So, where in the Bible does it say a preacher must wear a suit and a tie? 

If anything direction is given in the Bible, it seams to point to robes and vestments.  See Exodus 28 quoted above. 

No, this is not in the bible, the way to dress today. but there are many good things we can do that are not in the bible.

Archived