• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rapture

GraceSaved

• Members

All this talk about the rapture all seems so unimportant to me at my age and condition.  Whenever the Lord takes me home is for me going to be a rapturous experience as I will see Him as He is and I will truely know Him.  Oh glorious day! :godisgood:

God bless,

Larry

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I often wonder why we end up using terms that are not in our Holy Bible to define our Bible Doctrines.

1Thess 4:13 ¶ But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord..

and in 2Thess 2 it is called our gathering

2Thess 2:1 ¶ Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

the divine cross reference of the AV connects 1Thess 4 to 1Cor 15 with the word sleep and rise or raise. 1Cor 15 is a description of 1Thess 4:13-17.

1Cor 15:51 ¶ Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
 56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

We call our doctrine the Rapture, a Roman Catholic name but the scriptures call it "Our gathering unto him" the catching up of the saints into the clouds.  Is it flying?  No, it is a twinkling of an eye event which means one second here the next second there.

• Members

I often wonder why we end up using terms that are not in our Holy Bible to define our Bible Doctrines.

1Thess 4:13 ¶ But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord..

and in 2Thess 2 it is called our gathering

2Thess 2:1 ¶ Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

the divine cross reference of the AV connects 1Thess 4 to 1Cor 15 with the word sleep and rise or raise. 1Cor 15 is a description of 1Thess 4:13-17.

1Cor 15:51 ¶ Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
 56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

We call our doctrine the Rapture, a Roman Catholic name but the scriptures call it "Our gathering unto him" the catching up of the saints into the clouds.  If it flying?  No, it is a twinkling of an eye event which means one second here the next second there.

I gave the same KJV verses, AVBB.  I could have given more scriptures but it is a simple concept in my opinion.  I thought people would get the jist from the KJV.  I was simply breaking down the term "Rapture" to show its meaning and where the actual word originated from.  That is all.

• Members

I gave the same KJV verses, AVBB.  I could have given more scriptures but it is a simple concept in my opinion.  I thought people would get the jist from the KJV.  I was simply breaking down the term "Rapture" to show its meaning and where the actual word originated from.  That is all.

It was not a rip on your comments or the choice of verses though you lacked 2Thess 2:1

My comments were about how we use un-biblical terms for our doctrines.  If we use Biblical terms there is a tendency that we will remember the scripture text and location better

I did not comment on the tee-shirt because it was not a real tee-shirt just some text over a tee-shirt picture.  In reality GS posted a tee-shirt that does not exist except in a JPG format it is nothing she is wearing.

• Members

Yes, I did say that I was lacking a scripture, as you noted II Thessalonians 2:1.  I noticed that after I posted more on the Rapture.  

Since I was the only person who said where the actual word originated from, it looked like you were talking to me.

If you notice above, I already posted something about the Pre-Trib, Mid-Trib, and Post-Trib as being man made things.  I take the KJV as my final authority.  :)

• Members

I like David Cloud’s (Way of Life Encyclopedia) explanation of the Rapture of the Church-age believers. 

Pre-wrath Rapture is more "post-trib" than "mid-trib", since it is supposed to occur sometime after the 3 1/2 year mid-trib point.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on your post Linda.  I also like David Cloud.  He does a nice job explaining a lot of things.  

• Members

It was not a rip on your comments or the choice of verses though you lacked 2Thess 2:1

My comments were about how we use un-biblical terms for our doctrines.  If we use Biblical terms there is a tendency that we will remember the scripture text and location better

I did not comment on the tee-shirt because it was not a real tee-shirt just some text over a tee-shirt picture.  In reality GS posted a tee-shirt that does not exist except in a JPG format it is nothing she is wearing. ???????

Actually you can order the shirt.

• Members

We do find the word "harpazo" in 1 Thessalonians 4:17:

1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up (harpazo) together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Strong's Greek Dictionary
726. harpazo

harpazo har-pad'-zo

from a derivative of 138; to seize (in various applications):--catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).

There are 17 instances in 13 verses of the word "harpazo" in the NT:

Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take (harpazo) it by force.(harpazo)

Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away (harpazo) that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

John 6:15 When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take (harpazo) him by force, (harpazo) to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.

John 10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth (harpazo) them, and scattereth the sheep.

John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall (harpazo) any man pluck (harpazo) them out of my hand.

John 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck (harpazo) them out of my Father's hand.

Acts 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away (harpazo) Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Acts 23:10 And when there arose a great dissension, the chief captain, fearing lest Paul should have been pulled in pieces of them, commanded the soldiers to go down, and to take (harpazo) him by force (harpazo) from among them, and to bring him into the castle.

2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth; ) such an one caught up (harpazo) to the third heaven.

2 Corinthians 12:4 How that he was caught up (harpazo) into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up (harpazo) together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling (harpazo) them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Revelation 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up (harpazo) unto God, and to his throne.

Archived