• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rapture

GraceSaved

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh oh. I didn't mean to open a can of worms. :-) I thought the t-shirt was funny.

This is not funny, the rapture of the saints can happen any day. No man knows the day or hour. Those that don't believe in the rapture don't believe in the virgin birth, the second coming of Christ or a place called Hell.

• Members

This is not funny, the rapture of the saints can happen any day. No man knows the day or hour. Those that don't believe in the rapture don't believe in the virgin birth, the second coming of Christ or a place called Hell.

Sorry if I offended you.  There are thousands of members on this site.  It is impossible for me to know what people believe.

• Members

Very true, TGL.  Only the Father in Heaven, knows the day and the hour.  However, even if one doesn't believe in the Rapture, it doesn't mean that the Lord won't take them in "the twinkling of an eye."

"Behold, I shew (show) you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump:  for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed." ~ I Corinthians 15:52-53

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;" ~ Titus 2:13

"Behold he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced them and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him.  Even so, A-men." ~ Revelation 1:7

The word "Rapture" never appears in the KJV.  It appears in the Latin Vulgate Bible that was written by Pope Jerome, though.

It is clear from scripture, however, that there will be a Rapture of all born again believers on the face of the earth.

• Members

Sorry if I offended you.  There are thousands of members on this site.  It is impossible for me to know what people believe.

No, I did not get offended, but if we change the word of rapture to removed from this Earth. This would mean the same thing. Jesus wept, Jesus cried?

• Members

I forgot the give the meaning of the word "Rapture" and the other scriptures that go along with it.  The KJV is clear on it. 

"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not even as others which have no hope.  14 For it we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep (die) in Jesus will God bring with him. 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent (precede) them which are asleep.  16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:  and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air:  and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  18 Wherefore comfort (cheer) one another with these words." ~ I Thessalonians 4:13-18 

That word “caught up together” comes from the Greek word harpazo. It literally means “to snatch out” or “to seize.” It’s like a thief grabbing a purse. He seizes it. The word Rapture comes from the Latin Vulgate (which is the Latin Bible) rendering of raptus from which we get the popular term Rapture. That’s where the Bible talks abut the actual word, "Rapture."  However, it is 100% scriptural.  It basically means we have been snatched out; we’ve been caught up by a mighty act of power by the Lord.  It's pretty simple.  And, several verses in the KJV back it up. 

• Members

I like David Cloud’s (Way of Life Encyclopedia) explanation of the Rapture of the Church-age believers. 

Way of Life Encyclopedia
RAPTURE

The term commonly used for the catching away of the saints described in 1Thessalonians 4:13-18. This Rapture is (1) a resurrection of the dead in Christ (v. 14-16), (2) a catching up and translation of the living N.T. saints (v. 17). The term "caught up" in 1Thessalonians 4:17 is also translated "pluck" (John 10:28), "pulling [out of the fire]" (Jude 1:23), and "take by force" (Acts 23:10). It refers to a forceful seizing and a snatching away. It is used of the devil snatching the word of God from the heart of the foolish (Matthew 13:19) and of the Spirit of God snatching away Philip after the conversion of the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:39). This is exactly what Christ will do to the N.T. believers before the onslaught of the Great Tribulation. This event is also described in 1Corinthians 15:51-58. Here we see that the translation of the N.T. saints will involve an instantaneous change from morality to immortality. Those believers living at that hour will never see death (v. 51).

In both of these key passages the translation of the church-age saints is said to be a source of great comfort and encouragement (1Thessalonians 4:18; 1 Corinthians 15:58). If this translation did not occur until the end of the torments of the Great Tribulation, it certainly would not produce solace for the Christian standing on this side of the Tribulation!

Among those who believe in a literal Rapture of the church-age saints, there are basically three positions regarding the time of the Rapture. All of these pertain to the timing of the Rapture in relation to the Great Tribulation. The three views are Pre-tribulational, Mid-tribulational (also called Pre-wrath Rapture), and Post-tribulational.

Pre-wrath Rapture is more "post-trib" than "mid-trib", since it is supposed to occur sometime after the 3 1/2 year mid-trib point.

In summary, this view rejects the pre-tribulational view because it says that the Rapture will not take place prior to Daniel’s 70th week; it rejects the mid-tribulational view because it says that the Rapture will take place a significant but unknown period of time after the middle of Daniel’s 70th week; and this view rejects the post-tribulational view because it places the Rapture not at the end of Daniel’s 70th week, but at a significant period of time before the end.

PRE-WRATH CONFUSION

• Moderators

I like David Cloud’s (Way of Life Encyclopedia) explanation of the Rapture of the Church-age believers. 

Pre-wrath Rapture is more "post-trib" than "mid-trib", since it is supposed to occur sometime after the 3 1/2 year mid-trib point.

I like Cloud but I disagree with him here-the timing of the rapture has nothing to do with the verses in 1Thes 4 being a source of comfort-rather, the context is the fact that those who have died in the Lord have not died for all time, but we will see them again-our loved ones who die in Christ will return with Him and be resurrected, and we will see them again-this is the source of our comfort, not whther it takes place before or after the tribulation. Despite the fact that IFB's usually push context hard, many ignore the clear context in this case to back the pre-trib position.

And yes, I thought the shirt was funny, also.

Archived