• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Don't Toss the Baby out with the Bathwater!

Brother Rick

• Members

I see all the time where people toss books and teachers because they do not agree with everything they say. That’s fine to do, but in the end you could really miss out on learning something that God wants you to know. From Moses and Aaron to Samson and David, God’s pattern is using imperfect men to accomplish impossible tasks.

If you wind up tossing every book (or preacher!) that happens to have something wrong in it, you’ll wind up with nothing but the Bible. That may be okay for a while, but that Bible tells you that we’re supposed to learn from teachers (Eph. 4:11, I Cor. 12:28, Acts 13:1).

Other than God and the Bible, every book and teacher will have problems. So what do you keep and what do you let go? What is serious and inexcusable and what can you overlook? What helps me is viewing these “problems” in three categories.

1. Doctrinal Errors.

Doctrinal errors are usually little hangups and ideas that someone may have that don’t affect things outside of the actual teaching itself. I knew a guy once who thought he was going to get rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ because he abstained from ice cream.

Really? Not worth it! Give me my Rocky Road!

Of course the Bible doesn’t say anything about this. It was just a weird little idea he got in his head somehow and no one was going to tell him otherwise. Now it’s true that God expects us to show temperance in our lives and there’s a reward for putting your body under subjection… but there’s nothing wrong with a little Georgia Mud Fudge now and then.

Click here for complete article…

Ice+Cream.jpg

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

First of all one must define what they mean by doctrinal errors. From what I read in Scripture regarding doctrine, that's something very important, not about "little things", and doctrinal error could indeed lead one away from Christ.

Now, if we address the difference between preference and biblical commands or principles, there is more room for discussion.

Beyond that, I do agree that some books which one might not agree with everything in them can still be beneficial. Of course, it depends upon whether differences are matters of importance, such as serious doctrine, if they are preference, or if perhaps they could be a differing view of how a biblical principle should or shuldn't be applied.

I might add, I have read books where I have agreed with the author completely; where I didn't find any problems. Such books are few, but there are some.

• Members

"Error" just means "mistake." A doctrinal error is a mistake that was made; it's not a damnable heresy. I almost spelled damnable hershey. That would have been funny.

That would depend upon just what that error or mistake is. If it's an error regarding doctrine, that's important; unless you are thinking or meaning something else when you say doctrine.

• Members

To me doctrine just means "teaching."

Like for instance: half the people on this forum think that the sons of God in Gen 6 are fallen spiritual beings, and the other half think they're the godly line of Seth.

Someone is wrong.

Whoever is wrong isn't a heretic, and I wouldn't go so far as to accuse them of false doctrine like I would a Calvinist, but they're making a mistep when it comes to a Bible teaching. It's a doctrinal error. If they over-emphasis that error (or another error) I think it bleeds over to false doctrine when it starts affecting other areas.

Another example of a doctrinal error is the Baptist bride teaching. If it's kept in check (kind of like the difference between a Calvinist and a hyper-Calvinist) then I would classify it as a doctrinal error. If it becomes a major thrust of a church or teacher's ministry I would consider it false doctrine and something to be concerned about.

This is just my take and how I discern what is okay for me to study and glean from and what is not.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

"Error" just means "mistake." A doctrinal error is a mistake that was made; it's not a damnable heresy. I almost spelled damnable hershey. That would have been funny.

I won't read a book by John Piper because he's a 7 point charismatic that has no problems with CCM music, Rick Warren and infant baptism.

I won't read Hugh Ross because he is an old earth scientist that believes nature is the 67th book of the Bible.

I won't read a lot of junk out there. There is a lot of good material by people like David Cloud, John Van Gelderen and John Rice that I can spend my time and money on instead. Sure, I may give Spurgeon a break and read him and I might read some "church fathers" to find out what they believed. Use your time and money wisely. To many Christians spend more time reading books than they do reading The Book.

• Members

According to Scripture, it seems to me doctrine means much more and is of a serious nature.

With regards to issues such as the one you reference, I don't see that as falling under the column of doctrine. Docrtine deals with essentials. The matter with Genesis 6 isn't an essential.

If you are referring to matters such as Genesis 6, one could hold an opposing view on what that means while yet being biblically sound on essential matters of doctrine such as salvation, the Deity of Christ, etc.

If one is biblically solid yet they hold a view of Genesis 6 contrary to how I (you, we, they, etc.) view that, one can still learn from then...unless all they want to write or talk about is their view of Genesis 6 and how everyone else is wrong.

• Members

John R. Rice was a bible corrector, but he has some good stuff. I wouldn't toss him because of that.

Also, I used Bill Mounce to learn Greek even though he is an even bigger bible corrector. I feel sorry for men like him who can't know for sure if the woman caught in adultery really happened.

• Members

To many Christians spend more time reading books than they do reading The Book.

That's a fact! I've encountered many who have read the Purpose Driven Life and they live by that book. What do they know about the Bible, very little beyond what they have picked up in that book.

I've known many others who have devoured books by Hagin, Copeland and such. They can tell you what these people have to say but as far as actually being in the Word...not time for that!

We need more Bereans!

• Members

I see all the time where people toss books and teachers because they do not agree with everything they say. That’s fine to do, but in the end you could really miss out on learning something that God wants you to know. From Moses and Aaron to Samson and David, God’s pattern is using imperfect men to accomplish impossible tasks.

If you wind up tossing every book (or preacher!) that happens to have something wrong in it, you’ll wind up with nothing but the Bible. That may be okay for a while, but that Bible tells you that we’re supposed to learn from teachers (Eph. 4:11, I Cor. 12:28, Acts 13:1).

Other than God and the Bible, every book and teacher will have problems. So what do you keep and what do you let go? What is serious and inexcusable and what can you overlook? What helps me is viewing these “problems” in three categories.

1. Doctrinal Errors.

Doctrinal errors are usually little hangups and ideas that someone may have that don’t affect things outside of the actual teaching itself. I knew a guy once who thought he was going to get rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ because he abstained from ice cream.

Really? Not worth it! Give me my Rocky Road!

Of course the Bible doesn’t say anything about this. It was just a weird little idea he got in his head somehow and no one was going to tell him otherwise. Now it’s true that God expects us to show temperance in our lives and there’s a reward for putting your body under subjection… but there’s nothing wrong with a little Georgia Mud Fudge now and then.

Click here for complete article…

Ice+Cream.jpg

The man could be seriously lacking. (2 Timothy 1:7)
or maybe he had a 'gluttony' issue he was battling. He might get a reward for faithfully exercising self control. (I like Butter Pecan yum).

The Bible warns us about "wolves in sheep clothing", "grievous wolves", "false teachers". "certain men crept in unawares". I think it would be wise to pay close attention to what we are being exposed to without being too quick to accuse....or excuse.

• Members

The man could be seriously lacking. (2 Timothy 1:7)
or maybe he had a 'gluttony' issue he was battling. He might get a reward for faithfully exercising self control. (I like Butter Pecan yum).

The Bible warns us about "wolves in sheep clothing", "grievous wolves", "false teachers". "certain men crept in unawares". I think it would be wise to pay close attention to what we are being exposed to without being too quick to accuse....or excuse.

Amen!