• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Death of a neighbor

• Members

He had been a Southern Baptist all his life until he move here after retiring and he joined a local liberal country Baptist Church.

A few years back his wife died their pastor did the service and of course all the members of that church were there for him during that time.

Yet recently he died. His daughter married a coC member them when he got down so that he could not drive when able they would pick him up and take him to church with him. During this time they discouraged his fellow Baptist church member from visiting him.

Upon his death, unlike his wife's obituary that said she was a member of a Baptist church, it stated, he attended the coC, not mentioning that he was a deacon in a Baptist church and attended faithfully as long as he was able.

At his death his daughter and son in law gave all his fellow church members the cold shoulder at visitation and the grave side service. The coC pastor said he attended the coC in later years and a few small minor thoughts about him. There was no doubt in my mind, he along with his daughter and son-in-law thinks this man is in hell, and that everyone that is not baptized into the coC for remission of sin cannot enter into heaven.

I'm posting this in order to let you know what the conservative coC believes.

For me that was a very sad happening, but it does happen. Sad to for according to what his daughter and son-in-law believes they will never enter heaven. For there is only one way to be saved. Its thanks to God's mercy on us, by grace though faith in Jesus Christ, not of works, not of self, its a gift. Anyone trying to get there by a different path is like a thief trying to steal their way in, yet the gate will be shut and they will hear those dreadful words, "I never knew you."

• Members

Believer's Baptism - precious though it is - is a symbol. It is not the life giving means of the New Birth. I think that in calling it Believer's Baptism, it's important to consider that it is indeed the baptism of those who are believers already.

"Ye must be born again".

• Members

It's a shame what happens in some families, especially if some members go off into strange teaching churches. I've seen similar things happen where some family members became Catholic and others became Seventh Day Adventist. What a mess!

• Members

John, This was the most obvious incident that I have ever seen by a family from the coC, and I have witness several of them during my life time.

When my father died December 1992, neighbors that are coC came to our house and the women folks made sure everything was kept in order, food dishes, & that everyone that brought food & such names were recorded, and put labels on dishes so that we would know who they belonged to so that we could return them to the proper owner, and cleaned up until just after the funeral services. Upon leaving let us know if we need any help, please call.

I've been to several coC funeral services where a coC pastor spoke, yet its never been as this one.

Live and learn.