• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Involuntary tithing by the local Church

Go to solution Solved by HappyChristian,

• Members
27 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I believe that pastors should also tithe, why not? They are not higher than the angles, that don't tithe. Christians must understand that they are men, sinners, repented, saved and serving God, just like you and me. Pastors, have a little bit more of responsibility. ? Christians that are treating their pastors as a higher superior, are sinners. Ask Moses'

The principle for tithing is there for all, including pastors. But let's be nitpicky for a minute... do you tithe on the amount of time you have each day, week, month, or year? For ever day alone that's a minimum of 2.4 hours. Do you spend 2.4 hours a day doing the Lord's work...just the Lord's work, nobody else's? It's highly doubtful that most people who name the name of Christ do this. Pastors are on call 24 hours a day seven days a week. Let's go a bit further...some are provided with housing for little or no cost. What's it valued at? How much would their housing payments be, not to mention that some congregations provide utilities and car allowances, and some even car and health insurance. So, Morales, how are you going to guage all that and decide what they owe in tithe? To be honest, friend, you seem to worry about other people's money and tithing habits than anyone I know. The Bible gives us an example of someone in Christs own circle named Judas...he was in control of the money, and he was reprimanded by Christ for raising a ruckus when someone was using expensive ointment to wipe Jesus feet with her hair. The Bible tells us that he didn't care about the poor people he mentioned, but was worried about that money because he controlled the purse strings and was a thief. I'm not saying that you're a thief, but, I am saying you worry far too much about what other people do with their money. 

• Members
30 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Christ is coming soon, He said, 

1Cor.16

1. [2] Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

That's a sidestep of the questions. Paul was the one who said this. And if you properly exegete this passage it was concerning giving for missions and I believe the church in Jerusalem. 

• Members
2 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

I believe that pastors should also tithe, why not? They are not higher than the angles, that don't tithe. Christians must understand that they are men, sinners, repented, saved and serving God, just like you and me. Pastors, have a little bit more of responsibility. ? Christians that are treating their pastors as a higher superior, are sinners. Ask Moses'

Sure. I agree that church leaders should give back financially to the church like everyone else...but I believe what he gives is between him and God alone. Unlike the scribes and Pharisees Pastors give in more ways than just materially -

"23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment*, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.". - Mathew 23:23

There are a lot of different things that could cause financial hardship on a Pastor and his family. If he is a young Pastor he could still have some debt from the University he attended. If he has children - then there are doctor, dentist, or hospital bills that the congregation may not be able to provide full insurance for. There could be elderly parents that he and his wife have some financial obligation they need to help. 

I can't imagine any sincere Pastor deciding that he is somehow beyond giving to the church. I would think that most do what is right and donate whatever amount they have decided to give back to the Lord.

If the church voted him in as it's leader then surely he can be trusted to be a good steward of his finances.

I understand that there may be a tendency for some to believe that a Pastor should find part time work outside of the.church so he can match the financial support of the members but I don't believe he shoukd carry that burden.

I think it's important for people in the church to keep in mind that the Pastor isn't just some employee hired for one morning and two evenings of teachings each week  When your children or yourself become ill it will be your him coming to sit and pray with you in the hospital. When you're ready to get married you don't have to go hire anyone to officiate or rent a "Sanctuary". When you pass from this life into eternity it will be your Pastor officiating the funeral and comforting your loved ones.

He should probably aim to give at least 10% back to the ministry...whatever that amount is for him...but he gives a far greater spiritual "tithe" or sacrifice by giving his time and attention to the flock the Lord entrusted him with