• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John MacArthur's Church Implicated in Protecting Abusive Husbands

• Members

I am a bit bewildered by this news I share. Now I know the source is one I dont consider conservative enough, but the reporting seems to be well researched after reading the article. I love John MacArthur's preaching for the most part, but apparently some of his elders did wrong on multiple occasions. They protected some husbands suspected of spouse and child abuse and implicated the wives as the problem in their marriage counseling. Again those of us who hold to a plain reading of scripture are belittled on social media. The worst part is this man, this teacher, this elder I greatly respect is doubling down on his elders doing the right thing. I feel dejected, not unlike how I felt when other teachers I respect had sins exposed.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2023/february/grace-community-church-elder-biblical-counseling-abuse.html 

• Members

Very well put Salyan. That is what came to my mind, that lies by men with depraved hearts are being accepted as honest truth without a wise appraisal of the situation. After reading about this, I also fear if churches have things like a family able to take the wife and kids in while the husband is told to repent and prove his repentance is sincere. Also, what of the fact our earthly nation has deemed it a severe crime to abuse a wife and children, why would we not immediately report to the authorities what is going on so they can come to their own legal conclusions while the Body of Christ handles its part?

• Moderators

Well, exactly. Regardless of what church discipline may be taking place, if actual abuse is occurring it MUST be reported to the earthly authorities. God put them in place for the punishment of evildoers, and it is not within the church/pastoral authority to interfere with that mandate.