• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithing in the last days...

• Members
31 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I don't know of many of the Christians who tithe that don't give it all to the church. Offerings, on the other hand are given either to the church, missionaries, childrens ministries, etc. If you are associating with people who don't tithe to their churches, maybe you need to be associating with different people who DO. 

I’m glad tithing have nothing to do with salvation. A person can get Saved, never tithe, and go to heaven. Like a person doing life in jail. Right BT

• Administrators

Here we go again. These tithing arguments are getting old; this has been hashed and rehashed so many times on this board. As brother Matt said more than once; "before you start a new thread on a topic, look to make sure that there is not already the same topic started that you can simply add to." We don't need multiple topics started on the same subject.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Here we go again. These tithing arguments are getting old; this has been hashed and rehashed so many times on this board. As brother Matt said more than once; "before you start a new thread on a topic, look to make sure that there is not already the same topic started that you can simply add to." We don't need multiple topics started on the same subject.

I agree, this is page 4.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

I agree, this is page 4.

I wasn't talking about just this one thread, which has many relevant replies. I was talking about doing a search and you will see that this subject has been beaten to death for years. Pastor Matt posted  links to many of them on page two of this thread.

• Members
10 hours ago, E Morales said:

I’m glad tithing have nothing to do with salvation. A person can get Saved, never tithe, and go to heaven. Like a person doing life in jail. Right BT

So, let me see...This isn't an even comparison...Tithing, as you already know, has NOTHING to do with salvation...A person can get saved, and never tithe, yes...but, I believe that if he is saved, he'll follow a principle that's already been set in the Bible. Tithing or not won't keep a person from going to Heaven, nor will it make them go there. But, why the comparison to "prison." Morales, to be honest, some of your ideology befuddles many of us. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 1/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, BrotherTony said:

Brother Tony; not to create problems with this thread, but what you have posted and even the subject of this thread itself has been hashed over many times on this board. We need to remember that context is king and words have meanings that are plain and accurate.

The Bible says to bring the tithes into the storehouse/church. 

Malachi 3:10, KJV: "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

Any addition to Scripture is not wise; the Bile does not say church, it says storehouse, which is what was connected to the Temple. This command was never given the "The Church", but to National Israel. It also says "that there may be meat in mine house", not money.

Jesus talks about people tithing. And I believe it's still a command for Christians. Even if it weren't, it would be a good practice for them, as I believe it increases the blessing of God as we show our faithfulness. It's all HIS anyhow. He could take it all away at any time. I don't believe that giving it to someone else or splitting it between God and someone else would be a wise practice It would be like robbing God. You could give a gift to that person, but, don't steal from God to do it.

Yes, Jesus does talk about Tithing, but does not command it for Church age Gentiles, He spoke of tithing to Jews.

Malachi 3:8-12

King James Version

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

This verse is always dragged out when someone wants to prove that Tithing is to continue for church members  for our time also. But in context this verse very specifically says that the priests were robbing God, not the people. You can see this plainly by reading the verses before it.

God has ordained that His work be financed by the members of a local church. Acts 4:33-37 (KJV) And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

• Members

And? The purpose of reposting this subject which you so obviously didn't want to have us discuss before? Just a question, not an attack. Would be interested in knowing your mindset, especially after such a long period of time. Would like to note, though, in your previous response to me, you stated that people liked to drag out certain scriptures specifically to support the tithe....I was always taught in the IFB churches I attended..Malachi 3:6a "For I am the LORD, I change not;" The principle of tithing is still there even if many people don't agree with it, basing their position on the ideology that it's not mentioned in the NT

• Administrators
On 1/5/2022 at 6:29 PM, PastorMatt said:

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Malachi 2:1 (KJV) And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Malachi 2:1 (KJV) And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

I totally understand that verse....I also understand the the old prophets (not priests) tithed of their increase. The principle is there....Abraham tithed to Melchizedek...take it or leave it. I will abide by it, as I've made clear in my posts before. It's been blessed by the Lord in our home, and I will continue to do it along with supporting other ventures of the church above and beyond the tithe. Thanks for the reply, though.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

And? The purpose of reposting this subject which you so obviously didn't want to have us discuss before? Just a question, not an attack. Would be interested in knowing your mindset, especially after such a long period of time. Would like to note, though, in your previous response to me, you stated that people liked to drag out certain scriptures specifically to support the tithe....I was always taught in the IFB churches I attended..Malachi 3:6a "For I am the LORD, I change not;" The principle of tithing is still there even if many people don't agree with it, basing their position on the ideology that it's not mentioned in the NT

Tony, someone made a new post in that old thread about tithing. I responded to it and then followed back through all four pages of the thread. In doing that I found your old post about tithing and thought I would reply to it simply because I had not seen it before and therefore did not reply to it.

I hope this answers your question

I never meant for anyone to not discuss this topic, I just suggested that before they did, they should see what has already been posted about it before starting a new thread on the same subject.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Tony, someone made a new post in that old thread about tithing. I responded to it and then followed back through all four pages of the thread. In doing that I found your old post about tithing and thought I would reply to it simply because I had not seen it before and therefore did not reply to it.

I hope this answers your question

I never meant for anyone to not discuss this topic, I just suggested that before they did, they should see what has already been posted about it before starting a new thread on the same subject.

Okay...that makes sense. ?

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Okay...that makes sense. ?

I believe bringing a topic back is good for new members to participate. I almost got banned for bringing the COVID topic back. So having something to say, I stayed away from posting on it. Is this good or bad I ask. Good for a new topic on do and don’t here.

• Members

If I remember correctly, you were warned because you were told not to keep posting about Covid in threads other than the Covid thread, not because you were posting more things about Covid.

Personally, my thoughts are: are people (referring to posters in general, not specifically you) posting about something because they want to fellowship about it, learn from others, discuss what the Bible says about it, or just to create endless debates?

• Members
5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

If I remember correctly, you were warned because you were told not to keep posting about Covid in threads other than the Covid thread, not because you were posting more things about Covid.

Personally, my thoughts are: are people (referring to posters in general, not specifically you) posting about something because they want to fellowship about it, learn from others, discuss what the Bible says about it, or just to create endless debates?

I've had these same questions myself.