• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sin Unto Death

GraceSaved

• Members

Thanks for answering.  I get your explanation, but now I am a little confused at my Bible's cross-referencing if the "sin unto death" and the "sin that is not forgiven" are not the same.

Bible notes and cross-references are not Scripture and are the assessment/interpretation of one man (or group of men) and they must be read with discernment in the same way you take all of our responses and weigh them against what the Bible says. Some people do believe they are the same, but I disagree.

• Members

Blasphemy against the Holly Spirit - is deliberate rejection of Christ and His salvation, it is the ultimate sin that by its very nature puts a man beyond the opportunity of salvation.

The Holly Spirit brings the offer of salvation to the heart of man , to reject him is to blaspheme God.( Matthew 12:31 Luke 12:10)

Sins against the Holly Spirit - since the Holly Spirit is a person He may be sinned against , since He is also God it is an extremely serious matter to be guilty of sinning against Him. ( Matthew 12:32)

some of these sins are Lying or tempting , despising, resisting or striving with, vexing or grieving.and quenching.the Holly Spirit.

Because of the severity with which Jesus describes blasphemy against the Holly Spirit , some people may fear that they have committed the unpardonable sin. one of the characteristics of such sin is that the Holly Spirit ceases to convict sin in ones life , so the fact that someone may be concerned about a particular sin indicates he is not beyond grace. they should immediately repent of that sin to restore their fellowship with God.

Sin unto death - Habitual disOBedience , deliberate and persistent rebellion against God , apostasy from biblical truth or failure to trust OBediently in Jesus. ( 1 John 5:16)  These are people that were never saved, right?

Sin Not unto death - unlike sin unto death '' these are sins that every christian finds himself subject to and struggle against and have forgiveness and reconciliation with God. ( 1 John 5:17 )

Hope this helps GraceSaved 

God Bless

• Members

John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. 18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

TheSword

I disagree that the sin unto death (1 John 5:16) is the same as the unpardonable sin (Matt 12:31). The sin unto death is written to believers and about believers. I believe it is when a Christian comes to a point where they have continually sinned God puts them in the grave prematurely.

If the sin unto death related to sinning believers, the injunction would be to pray for them, & for leaders to use appropriate discipline - as Paul counselled the church at Corinth.

It would include supposed believers, even Pastors, who abuse their position. We called such a man - a local RE school teacher - we though we knew him & he preached for us a number of times. We were a poor church with a part-time Pastor & the new man was called alongside - as one who already was well paid in his secular work.

He soon set to work undermining the position of his co-Pastor, demanding equality in remuneration, coercing the treasurer into allocating funds not authorised by the diaconate. He used the method of Absalom to gain supporters, organised a vote to dismiss his colleague. As he had his own house, he sold the manse, appropriating half the proceeds, sold the church hall to Sikhs, & the church building to Pentecostals & moved away. His use of expenses included trips to India. Where the money went is unclear - it was put into a trust - we & my present church managed a grant of £5,000 each out of hundreds of thousands.

Should we pray for such a man - who claimed to be a man of God all the time he was around? I think not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. 18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

If the sin unto death related to sinning believers, the injunction would be to pray for them, & for leaders to use appropriate discipline - as Paul counselled the church at Corinth.

It would include supposed believers, even Pastors, who abuse their position. We called such a man - a local RE school teacher - we though we knew him & he preached for us a number of times. We were a poor church with a part-time Pastor & the new man was called alongside - as one who already was well paid in his secular work.

He soon set to work undermining the position of his co-Pastor, demanding equality in remuneration, coercing the treasurer into allocating funds not authorised by the diaconate. He used the method of Absalom to gain supporters, organised a vote to dismiss his colleague. As he had his own house, he sold the manse, appropriating half the proceeds, sold the church hall to Sikhs, & the church building to Pentecostals & moved away. His use of expenses included trips to India. Where the money went is unclear - it was put into a trust - we & my present church managed a grant of £5,000 each out of hundreds of thousands.

Should we pray for such a man - who claimed to be a man of God all the time he was around? I think not.

Wha-ha-hat??!?   :bigshock: 

:verymad:    :verymad:   

• Members

Here is an example.

1 Corinthians 11:27-32

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. (die)

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Archived