• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is JCPenny off your list for shopping?

1Timothy115

• Members

In the Gospels, the only people that Jesus spoke in a harsh way to were the Pharisees...the spiritual leaders who had taken Judaism and twisted it into their own moral code in order to oppress people. With sinners, Jesus dealt very compassionately and spoke love and light into their hearts. Jesus went out of his way to get to know the hearts of sinners. He took time to talk deeply with people He did not cast stones, and in fact chastized the religious leaders who did want to cast stones at the adultress woman.

He spoke truth into the life people, and when they rejected him, he allowed them to walk away with no further harsh words, such as the rich young ruler who was unwilling to give up his wealth to be a follower.

How is boycotting a company because they hire gay people furthering the message of Christ? It is not. It is putting out a message that Christians are against gay people. We should not be against anyone. We should love everyone and speak compassionately to every person and recognize the human dignity of every person. Yes, we all have sinful, destructive tendencies. However, the only time to speak and act in a harsh manner is when someone's actions is hurting or oppressing other people.

Our message should be one of love, just as Christ loved us. If our message is one of hostility, then the people we are hostile towards will be hostile back. They will never have open hearts to the message of Christ.

Instead of speaking out against homosexuals, why not invite some of them over to your house for dinner? Get to know them on a personal level, and speak the love of God into their lives. It is up to them to accept or reject it. If we do not know people personally, we have not earned the right to speak about spiritual matters in their lives, as that is one of the most intimate, personal things there is. We need to spread love, and if they reject it, that is ok. We need to press on showing love and compassion. Perhaps one day they will allow the love of Christ to enter their hearts. However, if we push people away and do not take time to get to know them, how will we ever bring the gospel to them? It is our message to share the love of Christ with others. It is God's job to reform hearts. As God reforms one's heart, behaviors change will follow. It may take time, but it will follow once the love of Christ has taken root.

I hope taht explains my thoughts clearly. I hope to try to invest my life in the life of others, be they sinner or saint. I hope to choose loving and compassionate actions. I just cannot see how a boycott like this is a loving and compassionate action.

Yes, I have already understood your thoughts, yet thye go against the Words & teachings within the Bible.

To tell such people about God is great, telling them what God can do for them is great, telling all lost people about the gift God has for them is great.

Inviting them into your home is not great. Your setting up your family & children to be influenced by them, taking the road away from God.

Surround your family & children with those who love God, & walk in His ways.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

The Bible is so clear about this matter.

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

As it says in the following verses, its great to exhort them in the ways of our Lord, but don’t bring them into your family of believers treating them as one of the family.

2Th 3:1 ¶ Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
2Th 3:2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
2Th 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
2Th 3:4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
2Th 3:5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.
2Th 3:6 ¶ Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
2Th 3:7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
2Th 3:8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
2Th 3:9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
2Th 3:11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
2Th 3:12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
2Th 3:13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
2Th 3:15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

Surround yourself & your family with believers that walks in the ways of the Lord thy God.

Ac 2:42 ¶ And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Ac 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Ac 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Ac 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Ac 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Ac 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

• Members

I understand what you're saying. I don't agree with you but, I understand.

This list, which I see from their website is updated annually, is a gauge of just how poorly Christians (me included) have contended for the faith. However, I will be even more alert to this going forward.

We can't boycott everything and in some cases boycotting isn't the answer.

For instance, some say no shopping should be done in a place that sells or serves alcohol. If Christians buy gas from a station that sells alcohol, that's not supporting the alcohol sale (that's all tabulated separately). However, if soemone opened a gas station that didn't sell alcohol and local Christians took all their business there, then that would be sending a message.

Nearly every large business today supports wickedness to one degree or another so there is no way Christians can boycott everything. What Christians can do is be careful with the money they do spend and when there is an opportunity to boycott something that will send a clear message, join together and do so.

• Members

I know that I am fortunate to live in a dry county, yet I did give up a high paying job in Dallas, Texas back in 1969 in order to move to this town. Linda & I talked it over, deciding that if we had children, it would be better for our children to be raised up under conditions of living in small town America with less money where with fewer temptations would be in place for all of us. That this would be more valuable than having a high income.

Look at the choice Lot made, & what it did for his family. Yet most people decide on where to live based on higher income than based on what would be best for family. That group of people think income is the main concern, & will more income they will have a happier & more blessed family.

• Members

I know that I am fortunate to live in a dry county, yet I did give up a high paying job in Dallas, Texas back in 1969 in order to move to this town. Linda & I talked it over, deciding that if we had children, it would be better for our children to be raised up under conditions of living in small town America with less money where with fewer temptations would be in place for all of us. That this would be more valuable than having a high income.

Look at the choice Lot made, & what it did for his family. Yet most people decide on where to live based on higher income than based on what would be best for family. That group of people think income is the main concern, & will more income they will have a happier & more blessed family.

Good points Jerry. Why chase the "big city dream" when it comes with so much wickedness. I've seen so many folks, both non-church folks and folks who grew up in church (some saved, some not sure) who went to the city to chase the money and got caught up in the wickedness of city life.

Separation and fleeing certain temptations is necessary.

If God calls a Christian to be in a city then that's where they should be, but otherwise we would do well to be in much prayer and Bible study before simply following the herd in chasing big checks.

• Members

Good points Jerry. Why chase the "big city dream" when it comes with so much wickedness. I've seen so many folks, both non-church folks and folks who grew up in church (some saved, some not sure) who went to the city to chase the money and got caught up in the wickedness of city life.

Separation and fleeing certain temptations is necessary.

If God calls a Christian to be in a city then that's where they should be, but otherwise we would do well to be in much prayer and Bible study before simply following the herd in chasing big checks.

Most are chasing big checks.

I don't blame people that want to live around their home town, their family, yet many give that up for the big checks.

• Members

I ususally tell the secular world about this issue, I am a strong Bible believer that I believe that the Bible teaches against Homosexuals and lesbians God's way of saying he made one man and woman to marry, I go also say that I believe they have a right in this great nation to live the way they do, however in the Christian realm of things if your going to live as a Christian you don't go among them but, you can have a dinner with them or go to a Birthday celebration of the persons life (if its proper) what you don't do is condone their lifestyle. I have not gotten into reading in depth what Ellen said over the years about Christians and the Bible and all, all I know is that she is Lesbian , she is married to her partner, she is Happy, the partner is happy and they are happy helpin animals and promote Veganism, which that is her personal choice, each person has his or her own choice in this world and if someone wants to live like that they should have a right to do so, I agree that we should be on the watch out and not turn into pharrsiees and point fingers.
If I had a family with young children which I am planning to in very near future, I'll will be shopping at thrift stores, good will, Christian stores, Christian sewing websites and makin my own dresses for the girls but, I want to say is that today, we are going to go to a doctors appointment, this doctor is near a Jcpenny's I'll be shopping for dresses and skirts and I will not be stopping at Jcpenny's because I don't want to support them right now for various reasons, until this blows over with Ellen I will not shop there.