• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

DOMINIONISM'S FATAL FLAW

John81

• Members

From TBC Today

DOMINIONISM'S FATAL FLAW [Excerpts]

Despite the involvement of the Moral Majority and Christian Coalition in America's political process over the last few decades-in 1976, a cover of Newsweek read, Born Again, and declared that year to be the year of the evangelical-the moral decline of this nation continues down that slippery slope. Because little has changed, many who have fought the good fight against national corruption are understandably discouraged. One leader has even informed his constituency that, "attempts to restore morality 'through the political process have failed'."

About the religious right's failure to influence this nation's moral life, one thing needs to be said: Welcome to the school of the biblical prophets. Their warning of judgment and witness to God's Law could not prevent the moral meltdown occurring in their era either (See Hosea 4:1-3; Jeremiah 9:2-6; Micah 7:1-6; Isaiah 1:4, 21-23.). Their ministry also failed to affect significant moral change in ancient Israel. They were voices crying in the wilderness.

Any prophetic message does not resonate with America for the same reason that it did not in Israel. The reason is sin, the forgotten word not only in our culture, but also in the church. Within the pan-evangelical movement, there seems to be an "us-against-them" mentality. We're the righteous, they're the sinners. While concluding his argument regarding the universality of depravity amongst both the irreligious and the religious, and before stringing together a list of biblical quotations to prove his point, Paul addressed such an attitude. He first asked and then answered, "What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin" (Romans 3:9). As one critical historian notes, "The only trouble with Christian morality is that Christians on the whole, do not practice it." It's doubtful that efforts at a Christian reconstruction of and dominion over America would succeed. From the evident lifestyles of pan-evangelicals as revealed by surveys-bornagains are no different from non-bornagains-and the moral failures of a few high-profile but now disgraced leaders, there is every appearance that would-be reformers desperately need reforming. Good laws cannot change bad people. Only grace can do that. The only end for wickedness is divine judgment. It was for Israel, and it will be for America. So beloved, don't be discouraged by political ill fortunes of the present. Press on. Keep the faith. Live the right. Speak the truth. Be good neighbors and loyal citizens. Vote truth, right and your conscience, all the while knowing that there will be no earthly utopia this side of God establishing His rule on earth, a kingdom "wherein dwelleth righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13). In the meantime, continue to pray, "Father . . . Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10).

• Members

Seems to me things in this world are going the way the Bible has stated they would. All we can do is deliver the message, the rest is up to the person that hears the message & the Bible is very clear many there be that enter in to the broad wide gate to destruction.

• Members

Seems to me things in this world are going the way the Bible has stated they would. All we can do is deliver the message, the rest is up to the person that hears the message & the Bible is very clear many there be that enter in to the broad wide gate to destruction.

I agree. The sad thing is, many professing Christians are doing just about anything except getting the Gospel out.

• Members

I agree. The sad thing is, many professing Christians are doing just about anything except getting the Gospel out.

John, I was trying to hit the quote button, but hit the unlike button. :knuppel: I got my unlike off!

I did that wanting to say this, many of them people you spoke of are not living it either. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

John, I was trying to hit the quote button, but hit the unlike button. :knuppel: I got my unlike off!

I did that wanting to say this, many of them people you spoke of are not living it either.

That's true and that is also part of the reason it can be so hard to witness fo so many folks. How often we hear, "I know how too many Christians live to want to be one!" So many people know professing Christians who not only act like the world, in many ways they act much worse than the lost people who see them. It can be very difficult to try and get people to look beyond their experience with professing Christians to actually give you a listen as you try to explain the Gospel.

• Members

Most of those you talk to around here do not want to talk about it, do not want to hear nothing about God, Jesus, nor the Bible. And most of them will refer to someone they know quite well that lives a more sinful life than they that are in church services each week & the night clubs Friday & Saturday nights.

There was one business owner in our town that was a church going drinking man, I could not count the number of people that brought him up when you would try to speak to them about Jesus & attending church.

You know the attitude of most Christians that do this, if you try to speak to them about this big problem they will tell you its only between them & God, & it none of your business, them tell you just how sorry you are. I feel for such people. They're going to be totally shocked in that day.

• Members

Most of those you talk to around here do not want to talk about it, do not want to hear nothing about God, Jesus, nor the Bible. And most of them will refer to someone they know quite well that lives a more sinful life than they that are in church services each week & the night clubs Friday & Saturday nights.

There was one business owner in our town that was a church going drinking man, I could not count the number of people that brought him up when you would try to speak to them about Jesus & attending church.

You know the attitude of most Christians that do this, if you try to speak to them about this big problem they will tell you its only between them & God, & it none of your business, them tell you just how sorry you are. I feel for such people. They're going to be totally shocked in that day.

That's virtually the exact thing I experience around here. Even my lost Dad often points out the wicked ways of local church goers.

Most have heard a preacher, whether on TV or in person, and heard someone speak of Christian things, and they have all seen how local Christians live so their hearts are already hardened.

I know the answer is to get them to look beyond the worldy Christians they have known and seen, to get them to look at what Scripture says, but for most they have seen the worldliness and wickedness of professing Christians so much their whole lives they don't even want to hear a thing about it.

• Members

Ro 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Ro 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Ro 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
Ro 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Ro 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Ro 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Ro 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

If many of our brothers & sisters in Christ understood how important the above verses are to obey it would be just a bit easier to win a few more to Christ.

• Members

That's virtually the exact thing I experience around here. Even my lost Dad often points out the wicked ways of local church goers.

Most have heard a preacher, whether on TV or in person, and heard someone speak of Christian things, and they have all seen how local Christians live so their hearts are already hardened.

I know the answer is to get them to look beyond the worldy Christians they have known and seen, to get them to look at what Scripture says, but for most they have seen the worldliness and wickedness of professing Christians so much their whole lives they don't even want to hear a thing about it.

Agreed. It's no wonder the most of the unsaved want nothing to do with getting saved because they don't see any difference. Just like some people who join this board and try to wrongly justify some of the things that they do. That's why my preacher and other I've heard harp on being different, being separated.

I guess it is true that the number of truly saved is less than one thinks.

• Members

Yes, it seems some are bent to join boards & break up any unity that's present. I wonder, is that happening in many churches?

The old Devil surely has many blinded so badly they can't see any of God's ways & are always calling bad good, & if someone comes along proclaiming God's truth they claim they're from the sly old Devil.

• Members

Yes, it seems some are bent to join boards & break up any unity that's present. I wonder, is that happening in many churches?

The old Devil surely has many blinded so badly they can't see any of God's ways & are always calling bad good, & if someone comes along proclaiming God's truth they claim they're from the sly old Devil.

I read a book, article or sermon earlier this year which discussed one of the most dangerous things to any church is those who come in pretending to be "one of us" but in short order they begin to question important aspects and offer suggestions to make things better. These tend to appear sincere, speak kindly and often draw a few to their side and then use their support to press for "minor or little" changes. Too often some or all of them are adopted which only leads to calls for more. It's only a matter of time before the church is watered down. Eventually the true followers of Christ will leave and that church will be lost.

In some cases the true followers will put up more of a stand against adopting the changes, but it's too common for them to be a minority. The rest of the church either sides with the "progressive Christian" and there is a split in the church. The end is generally the same. The majority calls the true followers of Christ obstructionists, blame them for causing division and accuse them of being stuborn and in the flesh. The true Christians eventually leave and the church is lost.

How careful we must be of what is wolves in sheeps clothing coming into our churches.